More for Perform

smetzger

Explorer
Hi,

I am looking for some suggestions for more instruments and type of Perform. Something other than what is in the PH and Song & Silence. Three that I have thought of are:
Bird Calls - You can imitate the sounds of common birds.
Repartee - Your witty remarks combine with your bardic abilities to great effect.
Song - Why isn't this listed in the PH???

PenguinKing

First Post
smetzger said:
Song - Why isn't this listed in the PH???
"Song" is way too broad. Should one rank in Perform cover everything from epic ballads to Gregorian chant to opera? I think not - pick a style of song.

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
How about ventriloquism? Mimicry (the ability to sound like someone or something else) is good for convincing the rest of the goblins that Thrak is still at his post. Emotion? A good performance should be able to move people to laugh or cry. At a certain DC, you too can change the emotional status of those around you.

Shadow shape. How about using the old "making bunnies on the wall" trick to make the shadow of a monster come around the corner?

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Re: More for Perform

PenguinKing said:
"Song" is way too broad. Should one rank in Perform cover everything from epic ballads to Gregorian chant to opera? I think not - pick a style of song.

Ok, so what type of 'Song' should we have?

Chant
Opera
Rap
Ballad
Drinking Song

Whats that jazzy form where the artist makes sounds like instruments? Skiver , skivee or something like that.

PenguinKing

First Post
Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

smetzger said:
Ok, so what type of 'Song' should we have?
Depends on your campaign setting - each region and historical period has its own set of vocal styles. Could be anything from bawdy drinking songs to religious hymns to tribal chants.

(In other words, narrow it down - it would take days for me to find and list every vocal style that ever was.)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Last edited:

smetzger

Explorer
KidCthulhu said:
How about ventriloquism? Mimicry (the ability to sound like someone or something else) is good for convincing the rest of the goblins that Thrak is still at his post. Emotion? A good performance should be able to move people to laugh or cry. At a certain DC, you too can change the emotional status of those around you.

Shadow shape. How about using the old "making bunnies on the wall" trick to make the shadow of a monster come around the corner?

Ventriloquism and Mimicry are good. I think Emotion would be part of other types of Perform.

Shadow Shape. I think this one could fall under the more general although I don't have it yet, Puppeteer form of perform.

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

PenguinKing said:
Depends on your campaign setting - each region and historical period has its own set of vocal styles. Could be anything from bawdy drinking songs to religious hymns to tribal chants.

(In other words, narrow it down - it would take days for me to find and list every vocal style that ever was.)

I think we can stick to general styles. religious hymn could fall under Ballad. tribal chant, Gregorian Chant, and Rap can all fall under Chant.

PenguinKing

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

smetzger said:
I think we can stick to general styles. religious hymn could fall under Ballad. tribal chant, Gregorian Chant, and Rap can all fall under Chant.
If you say so - but then you're inconsistent. If you're going to generalize vocal styles like that, then you may want generalize musical instruments, too - i.e. one rank in Perform gets you "all stringed instruments", or "all woodwinds". Otherwise, taking a vocal style is arguably "worth" more than taking an instrument - which may be your intention, I don't know.

(Oh, and I think you had better seriously review the definitions of both "hymn" and "ballad" if you think they're in the same genre.)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Shallown

First Post
The Bard in my game just picked up one from our dwarf. Cursing, I don't mean the evil eye kind either. Allows him to be quite inventive.

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

PenguinKing said:
If you say so - but then you're inconsistent. If you're going to generalize vocal styles like that, then you may want generalize musical instruments, too - i.e. one rank in Perform gets you "all stringed instruments", or "all woodwinds". Otherwise, taking a vocal style is arguably "worth" more than taking an instrument - which may be your intention, I don't know.

Ok. Well, I don't want to restrict myself to a particular time period or culture. So, maybe a list of about 10 major ones would be good.

Remove ads