More for Perform

Crothian

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

PenguinKing said:
If you say so - but then you're inconsistent. If you're going to generalize vocal styles like that, then you may want generalize musical instruments, too - i.e. one rank in Perform gets you "all stringed instruments", or "all woodwinds". Otherwise, taking a vocal style is arguably "worth" more than taking an instrument - which may be your intention, I don't know.

(Oh, and I think you had better seriously review the definitions of both "hymn" and "ballad" if you think they're in the same genre.)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Learning different vocal styles is easier then learning doifferent instruments. You're comparing apples to oranges. However, learning a group of singing styles is the same as learning a group of musical styles.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

smetzger said:
Whats that jazzy form where the artist makes sounds like instruments? Skiver , skivee or something like that.

I think you're referring to "skat".

There's also yodeling.

Auctioneering could also be considered a form of Perform, since a lot of auctioneers are square-dance callers as well. It's considered a stepping-stone into auctioneering.

My Grandad was an auctioneer.

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

Can all 'Song' type be categorized as either Chant or Melody?

If so, I think we can throw away everything except these two. These are both mentioned in the PH.

PenguinKing

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

smetzger said:
Can all 'Song' type be categorized as either Chant or Melody?
It's not a question of categorization, it's a question of what you want from your bard. Ask yourself this: do I want every bard who takes two ranks in Perform to be proficient in every single vocal style on the planet?

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

smetzger

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

PenguinKing said:
It's not a question of categorization, it's a question of what you want from your bard. Ask yourself this: do I want every bard who takes two ranks in Perform to be proficient in every single vocal style on the planet?

If that is what the rules say than yes. If however, there are some vocal styles which could not be categorized as either of the two than these categories need to be added.

So, are there any vocal styles which could not be categorized as Chant or Melody?

KidCthulhu

First Post
I think you're overlooking one very serious factor. Almost no famous musicians are proficient in more than one or two styles. Look at opera singers who try to sing popular tunes ("For All the Girls I've Loved Before"?), look at rock stars who try to play jazz.

Sure, it's possible. But some styles of musical perfomance are anthetical to each other. A bard may be able to two a couple of things well, but a bard should be driven to excel at only one style. That's why they become famous. It's called style.

I had a voice teacher once who was going around a master class asking each student what they wanted from their voice. One woman said she wanted to go into country music. The teacher basically told her not to waste her time with voice training, as everything about the style of voice used in country is wrong when considered from a classical voice production standpoint.

Sure, feel free to make a list of styles. It's a great resource. But the bard himself should focus on one or two.

PenguinKing

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: More for Perform

smetzger said:
If that is what the rules say than yes.
Um, the rules don't say either way. That's why you started this thread, remember? ;)

Oh, and KC - that's kinda the point. If one were to to lump everything that could be called "melody" together into a single category, every bard who knows a few good drinking songs is also an accomplished opera singer, and so forth. That just doesn't seem right.

(I'd also argue that each "style" of Perform represents repetoir as well as physical training - so a bard who wanted to be a master operatist [is that the word?] could devote half a dozen ranks of Perform to the opera of different historical periods, etc.)

- Sir Bob.

P.S. Nih!

Last edited:

Remove ads