How many game days does it take to complete The Sunless Citadel

Daniel Knight

First Post
Just as the subject says. How many days in the campaign did it take you?

I want to start The Forge of Fury in mid-winter, so I'm just working back to figure out what month to start Sunless in.

Cheers

Klaus

First Post
IMC, the PCs took three game days to explore the upper level, including taking back Calcryx to the kobolds and taking over the goblin tribe. They then rested for two days to level up (all the while playing Kings of Goblins and watching over the passage to the lower level). After going down, it took them two days to clean it up (could be just one, but the thoqqua did some serious damage). So one week overall (with two days being rest).

After that, it took them a month or so to find an old dwarf who figured out the location of Khundrunkar based on the parchment they found in the Citadel, and another month of preparation and travel to the Forge of Fury. So if you place Sunless City in mid-autumn, it should work nicely (and by mid-autumn, the trees should be leafless, adding to their skeletal appearance, and add some spookiness to the twig blights).

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
It took my players a two months to complete the dungeon. They had several bad experiences with Filth Fever that took them out of commission for days at a time, and took several side treks to nearby towns and other areas for training purposes, shopping, and sight seeing :) . Actual time in the dungeon itself was probably about a week.

Trainz

Explorer
If you`re talking about gaming sessions, it took us about 4 to complete. If it`s gaming days, more or less 8 (the mephit achieved a near TPK).

BTW, Klaus, the pictures your did for it were very helpful and cool when we were playing it.

Thanks !

Klaus

First Post
Trainz said:
If you`re talking about gaming sessions, it took us about 4 to complete. If it`s gaming days, more or less 8 (the mephit achieved a near TPK).

BTW, Klaus, the pictures your did for it were very helpful and cool when we were playing it.

Thanks !
I'm glad they helped! That's what they're there for! :)

I will be posting in a week or so the timeline and area map of my campaign, encompassing Burning Plague*, Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, Speaker In Dreams, Ghosts of Aniel*, Standing Stone, Start at the End*, Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl* and Heart of Nightfang Spire.

The timeline covers the background events that link the Ashardalon-related adventures (and add some more). The area map covers the Serpentcoil Vale, where I palced all the towns and cities necessary to run these adventures in one relatively small location (actually it covers an area of about 600 by 600 miles, with the local capital being SiD's Brindinford).

* -> free adventure at the WotC site.

Last edited:

Davelozzi

Explorer
It took my group only about 3 days or so of actually exploring the citadel. Unfortunately, they were wanted criminals and at one point they emerged from the dungeons to rest and were captured by authorities who had tracked them there. This made the whole thing take about 3 weeks.

Klaus - like Trainz, I made good use of your pics. Thanks!

Gilladian

Adventurer
It took my group about 10 days, including one 3-4 day rest period out of the dungeon (to level up) and several short days interspersed with rest time (which they spent mostly with the kobolds). They then took about 2 weeks off before following leads that took them on a 10 day journey north to Forge of Fury.

As DM, those are your flexible points; delay their start to the Forge by creating problems in Oakhurst (in my party the trouble was our families; we are still living with our parents, mostly, and effectively had to "run away" to go adventuring). Or make the journey take longer than originally planned. Side treks, travel troubles etc... can all add a week or two to a long journey.

Gilladian

Shadowdancer

First Post
My group only spent three days in the dungeon, and once they went in, they didn't come out until they were through.

It took them a week of travel time to get there, plus two days in Oakhurst before actually going into the dungeon, however.

Remathilis

Legend
Klaus said:
I'm glad they helped! That's what they're there for! :)

I will be posting in a week or so the timeline and area map of my campaign, encompassing Burning Plague*, Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, Speaker In Dreams, Ghosts of Aniel*, Standing Stone, Start at the End*, Crumbling Hall of the Frost Giant Jarl* and Heart of Nightfang Spire.

The timeline covers the background events that link the Ashardalon-related adventures (and add some more). The area map covers the Serpentcoil Vale, where I palced all the towns and cities necessary to run these adventures in one relatively small location (actually it covers an area of about 600 by 600 miles, with the local capital being SiD's Brindinford).

* -> free adventure at the WotC site.
That is seriously cool, I'd love to use your info for my own campaign, esp the map!

Post quickly!

Thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases