D20 Modern Dungeon Crawling

Psychic Skeksis

First Post
Easy to do. Some d20 Modern dungeon crawls...

1. PCs investigate an abandoned factory on the outskirts of town...only to discover it has many underground levels. What's down there? And why?

2. PCs investigate long-abandoned subway tunnels in broken-down part of metropolis to find that the tunnels are far deeper and more extensive than they realized...and who dug all these new tunnels that aren't on the city plans?

3. PCs go tomb raiding in South American jungle. Those Aztecs sure knew how to build an elaborate tomb...

4. PCs investigate the huge mansion outside of town, the one reputed to be the site of horrific occult activity and genetic experimentation.

5. Over the past hundred years the Drow have constructed an elaborate and luxurious city...located 1/2 mile *under* London.

Any other ideas? I love this aspect of Modern: the steam pipes, the rusted machinery, the haunted houses, the abandoned subway tunnels...

Shewolf

First Post
Psychic Skeksis said:
Easy to do. Some d20 Modern dungeon crawls...

1. PCs investigate an abandoned factory on the outskirts of town...only to discover it has many underground levels. What's down there? And why?

2. PCs investigate long-abandoned subway tunnels in broken-down part of metropolis to find that the tunnels are far deeper and more extensive than they realized...and who dug all these new tunnels that aren't on the city plans?

3. PCs go tomb raiding in South American jungle. Those Aztecs sure knew how to build an elaborate tomb...

4. PCs investigate the huge mansion outside of town, the one reputed to be the site of horrific occult activity and genetic experimentation.

5. Over the past hundred years the Drow have constructed an elaborate and luxurious city...located 1/2 mile *under* London.

Any other ideas? I love this aspect of Modern: the steam pipes, the rusted machinery, the haunted houses, the abandoned subway tunnels...

6. Catacombs built before the current city was incorporated still exist, with entrances in "historic" buildings and a few, selected crypts. PCs either investigate out of curiosity, or follow a nasty down there.

7. The Convention Center (or opera house, or theater, or stadium, or...) has an elaborate hallway system that seems to be the hide-out of a local criminal (human or Shadow beastie... either way).

8. PCs are recruited for a Search-and-Rescue in the vicinity of a long-abandoned mine.

9. Steal the tunnel system (and the plot, for that matter ;) ) from The Rock. While grabbing ideas from movies, pull out the dragon's den from Reign of Fire (or at least the look-at-the-cave-we-found-on-the-construction-site part of it).

10. Sewer systems - according to BtVS, they're freeways for the undead... according to urban legend, they're the home of all sorts of beasties.

Just a few more to add to your list :)

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
11. PCs investigate an area where an old lab used to be . It is rumored that there was illegal experimentation going on. But what kind is unknown.

Macbeth

First Post
12. An office building. Instead of trying to get to the bottom of the dungeon complex, the PCs must make it to the top to face the BBEG who looks over the city like the Kingpin (of Daredevil fame).

Pierce

First Post
Creepy

13. Any kind of abandoned institutional building is good for creep-outs. Old hospitals, prisons, schools, mental wards, orphanages... you get the idea. Ghosts of past inhabitants, new bugaboos have moved in and taken it over, children (or the elderly, or the gas-station attendants) in the area are inexplicabily drawn to the place and perform strange rituals. Obviously this has been used lots of times in movies and literature, but hey - there's nothing new under the sun, right? In fact, one of my wife's favorite creepy movies is Session 9 about an asbestos clean up crew that's hired to gut and renovate an old mental institution and end up getting "10-little-indian'ed."

Psychic Skeksis

First Post
Pierce said:
13. Any kind of abandoned institutional building is good for creep-outs. Old hospitals, prisons, schools, mental wards, orphanages... you get the idea. Ghosts of past inhabitants, new bugaboos have moved in and taken it over, children (or the elderly, or the gas-station attendants) in the area are inexplicabily drawn to the place and perform strange rituals. Obviously this has been used lots of times in movies and literature, but hey - there's nothing new under the sun, right? In fact, one of my wife's favorite creepy movies is Session 9 about an asbestos clean up crew that's hired to gut and renovate an old mental institution and end up getting "10-little-indian'ed."

I love that movie. And remember the Silent Hill games? (1 and 2, at least; haven't played the third one--I recently retired from video gaming to focus more on RPGs). The demonic school in the first and the hospital in the second...sweetness.

Rolzup

First Post
This is how you do a D20 Modern dungeon crawl:

http://www.bullatomsci.org/issues/1997/mj97/mj97ilnitsky.html

Under the Skliffasovsky clinic the Diggers encountered people dressed in monk's robes, carrying torches around a strange-looking altar made of stone. They were performing some sort of service and singing. When they saw the Diggers, they hurriedly disappeared.

Also, take a look at _Neverwhere_, by Neil Gaiman. The book is better, but the BBC series is also pretty darned good.

Rolzup

Last edited:

Remove ads