Thieves' World/Lankhmar - why do you like them?

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Actually, my first introduction to Lankhmar was the limited (4-issue) comic series (by Howard Chaykin and/or Mike Mignola). I've still got them around here somewhere. Great adaptations!

Klaus

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Actually, my first introduction to Lankhmar was the limited (4-issue) comic series (by Howard Chaykin and/or Mike Mignola). I've still got them around here somewhere. Great adaptations!
Same here! Found them completely by accident in a comic-book convention. I recognized the names from the 1e Legends & Lore, and I was (and still am) a Mignola fan, so I instantly bought the four issues. Wonderfully done, they could be a prop for any Lankhmar game!

Since there are no Lieber books down here, the comics are the extent of my Lieber knowledge...

Gez

First Post
TheLastMehina said:
And when you get right down to it, it's refreshing to read a fantasy story that hasn't been influenced by the twin monoliths of Lord of the Rings and D&D. Not that these are bad, but there are few modern fantasy stories which can escape their influence.

D&D was influenced by Leiber, not the other way around.

The Grey Mouser is the only reason rogues (and before them, thieves), could use magic devices. I also suspect he's the origin of the way humans multiclassed in AD&D. And a lot of adventures follow the format laid in their tales -- short, usually unrelated, adventures.

D&D was not only copied on Tolkien -- it was also copied on Anderson, Moorcock, Leiber, and Vance.

Dismas

First Post
Gez said:
D&D was influenced by Leiber, not the other way around.

If gaming Urban Legends are to be believed (maybe EGG can confirm/deny) Leiber was a friend of Gygax and allegedly help write some bits under an assumed name.

diaglo

Adventurer
for all the reasons others have already stated.

makes great urban setting.

has low magic

is very grim & gritty.

and has novels to back it up. ;)

plus you can see how the authors mentioned by Gez influenced the game.

hong

WotC's bitch
Plus, Thieves World has the character with the BESTEST NINJA NAME EVAR: Hanse Shadowspawn. Does not that name just SCREAM "silent, invisible and deadly", OR WHAT?

Hong "or is that something else I'm thinking of?" Ooi

hong

WotC's bitch
I swear, I don't know what Mr and Mrs Shadowspawn were thinking when they named their son Hanse. If they wanted him to be a ninja, couldn't they have picked a nice, unobtrusive name like "Dave" or something? How many times have YOU heard of someone called Dave being a ninja? EXACTLY.

Mystery Man

First Post
Never really got into Thieves World, though I did read some of the first few books. Always liked Lankhmar though, it has a very D&D like quality to it. Or vice versa if thats your P.O.V. :)

Last edited:

Seule

Explorer
My understanding is that Mr. Lieber actually ran D&D at some point, which is why the Lankhmar gods are in the original Deitied and Demigods. I do not actually know for sure, however.

--Seule

Remove ads