Synonyms for "Core Book" and "Player's Handbook"?

nikolai

First Post
Given that due to a change in the d20 System Guide:

• You may no longer use "Player's Handbook" in a d20 Product's name; and
  • You may no longer use "Core Book" or similar in a d20 Product's name or subtitle.
What should d20 companies name such products? I realise both terms are overused; but there are "Core Books" for product lines as well as "Player's Handbooks", and they have to be called something.

Last edited:

Bendris Noulg

First Post
There are lots of alternatives, particularly since this limitation is title/subtitle only.

For instance, at the top:

[Product Name]
[Subtitle Name for Vanity]

At the bottom:

The Complete [Core Rulebook/Player's Handbook] for your [genre-specific] game.

I've just used the term on my cover without violating the license.

What I think WotC wants (assuming they intentionally made it that loose) is to avoid seeing terms like "Player's Handbook" or "Core Rulebook" on a product catalogue list (by way of title/subtitle), which this restriction will prevent to a point, as it applies to the d20STL, not OGL itself.

It is interesting to note that "Core Rules" isn't restricted.

Pramas

Explorer
nikolai said:
What should d20 companies name such products? I realise both terms are overused; but there are "Core Books" for product lines as well as "Player's Handbooks", and they have to be called something.

We are using Player's Manual and have changed some upcoming titles to Medieval Player's Manual and the Advanced Player's Manual.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Bendris Noulg said:
At the bottom:

Maybe you have, and maybe you haven't. Remember that placing it in a different physical position on the cover doesn't mean it isn't a subtitle. If you make that line prominent enough, it might well be considered a subtitle, and you'd be hosed. Trying to sleaze your way around rules is a good way to get yourself a swift lawsuit.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I don't think it's sleazing around anything (no more than Necromancer's "for your 3rd Edition Game" get's around the "no claim of compatibility" rule). By including a subtitle, the positions already filled. By never listing the product with a subtitle, the burden of proving it's a subtitle falls on the plaintiff.

Mind you, I avoid the d20STL myself (the OGL is far more giving on its own), but if WotC wanted it that tight, they would have done so. Consider the change invoked by the BoEF that permits WotC to censur d20STL products based on (subjective) morality; it's tight and leaves no room for interpretation. They like it or they don't. Do you really think the same group of lawyers turned around and made this loose on accident? I don't. And so I don't think it's sleazing around a rule when it's been left open in a manner that would appear to be intentional.

Bendris Noulg said:
There are lots of alternatives, particularly since this limitation is title/subtitle only.
No it isn't.

Dude, read the GUIDE again:
d20 Guide v5 said:
Mandatory Restrictions:
No Covered Product may use the term “Core Book” on its cover, title, advertising, or self-reference.
Nowhere does that limit the restriction to the title/subtitle alone.
d20 Guide v5 said:
Definitions:
“Core Book” means any combination of the words “Core” and “Book”, and including synonyms of “Book” such as “Rulebook”, “Handbook”, “Rules”, “System”, “Material”, etc.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
jmucchiello said:
No it isn't.
Dude, read the GUIDE again
Dude, how about rereading the first post again. If my replies are wrong, it's because the description of the situation is incorrect. So stop giving me a hard time (for no valid friggin' reason) and correct the OP.

Remove ads