Do undead heal naturally?

Lizard Lips

First Post
I know they are healed by necromantic effects like cause light wounds... but what about if you just leave them alone? Can they heal by themselves, naturally?

cousin_avi

First Post
hmmmm thats an interesting question, in my opinion, I would have to say no. Since undead do not posses cells, alive skin and such, I would think that they would be unable too. This is clearly a question that will get different responses from various dm's but I would think no.

Last edited:

Hand of Vecna

First Post
Corporeal Undead DO possess cells, they're just all dead.

And I think Undead do heal naturally, something like 1 hp/HD/day, by 'naturally' chenneling in energies from the Negative Energy Plane... or maybe I'm hallucinating...

hong

WotC's bitch
By the book, nonintelligent undead don't heal (MM p.6). That could be read as implying that intelligent undead _do_ heal, otherwise there would be no reason to distinguish between intelligent and nonintelligent. Also, special abilities like fast healing and regen work for all undead, regardless.

cousin_avi

First Post
Corporeal Undead DO possess cells, they're just all dead.

And I think Undead do heal naturally, something like 1 hp/HD/day, by 'naturally' chenneling in energies from the Negative Energy Plane... or maybe I'm hallucinating...

so do you think all undead would do this (skeletons to wights) or just the more powerful undead????

-Ekimus-

First Post
i will reply as a simple No, cept vamps, lichs and were animals. at seems to make the most sense. dead bones just tend to decompose

Last edited:

Paladin

Explorer
I'd say yes, intelligent undead do get "healed" through the link to the negative energy plane that gives them "unlife". Just my 2 coppers.

Oni

First Post
From the MM under Undead, second paragraph.

"Undead with no Intelligence scores cannot heal damage on their own, though they can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inglict wounds spell) can heal undead creatures. The regeneration and fast healing special qualities work regardless of the creature's Intelligence score."

So there you go mindless undead do not heal, all others heal as per the rules.

kenjib

First Post
Hehe. I'd vote for "no." It takes magic to animate them, and it takes more magic to fix their little boo boos when they fall down and skin their knees. Perhaps that's finally a good use to put those spontaneous inflict spells to.

EDIT: I'd probably house rule that intelligent undead don't heal either. It doesn't make any sense that intelligence would allow them to heal. It smacks of meta-rules for game balance sake with no feasible explanation.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases