(IR) IR Interlude, Turn 5 - Turn 6 (Thread 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
OPEN POST

TIME OUT.

I am conducting a poll.

I need to know something - I need to know, now.

Do you:

A: Wish to stick with the rules system I created, and continue the IR as it was going (including being able to e-mail me.)

or:

B: Take the IR into Freeform.

I will tally up the votes, and whichever gets the most votes, is the way the IR will go.
I myself do not get a vote.

The current Tally is:

A: 0 votes
B: 0 votes

- - -

If you select A, I will immediately begin working on the Lists for Turn 6, and you may e-mail me as you wish once more.
If you select A, the IR ends at the end of Turn 7.

If you select B, you may not e-mail me, must post to the board, and observe the Open Post / Secret Post system I have set up.
If you select B, all the madcap mayhem of Freeform (which may well head deep into the absurd) will occur.
If you select B, the IR will continue at least until Turn 10, and longer, if you stay in it.

It is your choice.

Forrester

First Post
Hmmm. This Staff of the Penumbra question is a tricky one.

And I'm very, very surprised that none of you know what needs to be done in a case like this.

But I do. With your permission, I will take the staff, and I will make sure that it causes no further harm.

EDENA -- some questions:

1) How big is the Illithid fleet that desires to reclaim the staff?
2) What, precisely, is this link between the staff and the Elders? I will talk to the Angels directly about this matter, for they have been working feverishly to close our realm from an invasion by the Elders.

For the Elders cannot come to whatever realm they like, even if they are freed -- that is my understanding. (And you ALSO said that the Angels had found a way to keep the Elders out of Toril -- thank god. Just a reminder.)

So how does it work? If the Staff is destroyed on Plane X, does the energy create a portal between their home and Plane X (but not Plane Y or Plane Z)?

Finally, Anabstercorian -- how does one destroy the Staff, again? You said, I think, that there was only one way to do so, but I don't remember what it was. Refresh my memory. (Not that I plan on doing it -- Elders bad.)

Other Finally -- regarding 11th level magic, I think you are mistaken, Edena, for saying that 11th level magic allows us to "become as gods". If that were the case, it would allow us to decipher the technology of the City of the Gods much faster :). It's extremely powerful, but it's not world-ending or world-creating. Leave that for 12th level magic. The IR will last longer.

Forrester

William Ronald

Explorer
OPEN POST

Edena,

Please take good sound strategy as part of the criteria for doing something. This may please Serpenteye and some other players.

I would like to say that I am surprised you have carried the IR this far.

Imagination is important and useful in the IR. However, it may not be the sole determination.

I also think the people who really did a lot with the Red Goo will regret it very shortly.

Also, we can't always be on line. My own life will be busier soon, but I plan to stay in the IR. I urge everyone to stay.

(Edena: Sorry about the Dental Floss of Vecna idea.:) )

Will we indeed start at noon EST, and 5 p.m. GMT

Serpenteye

First Post
Solutions to enable you to keep the old rules

There is one thing that could work: You could start a new thread every other week, or every few weeks if you need to get some time off. Make pauses in the IR (like you did for turn 5 but more so, if neccessary), take it as slowly as you need. Do not risk your health, stress is deadly.
This will slow down th IR considerably but that should not be a problem for most of us, we all need time for our "real life" and we're not going anywhere. I will be here in two months, or six, hell I'll be on the EN boards a year from now. I think that's the same for most of us.

____
William: I do respect Edena immensely, but I still have to say what I think in such a major IR issue as this. I wouldn't complain if He dropped a meteor on my PCs head, as long as it made sense. I'm not being exclusively selfish in this.

Last edited:

Is there any way Edena of a compromise. Like, keep it rules based, but everyone is limited to 2 or 3 emails per turn (not including template) to you on rules questions/plotting, and all other questions must be done with (Secret), or will this strain you too easily as well.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
OGC Compliant Post

I vote option B.

However, I would want to be able to send a single email to Edena, to detail what would happen with my regions/countries in case I am not here. I would want this, mainly b/c I'm not here for over half the day.

William Ronald

Explorer
Forrester:

The staff can be destroyed by throwing it into the sun of the illithid's original home world. The sun is protected from teleport, gates, and psionic entry by mythals.

I did address this question. I will find the way the staff can be destroyed.

Edena: I vote for option B. I do suggest you take some time off.

Also, a compromise solution is also acceptable to me.

Forrester

First Post
EDENA -- why not do a mixture of both?

It seems that what's breaking you is the four hundred thousand emails a day.

So my proposed solution:

1) Keep PC PLs and general nation PLs. Dump NPC PLs (they're there for flavor text, that's about it.) And they're ALL officially APPROXIMATE. You'll still have to upkeep the lists, but you won't have to worry about employing set mathematical formulae to make sure everything adds up. We trust you. It's how you ran IR#2. Round to the nearest 10. Hell, round to the nearest 50.

2) Everyone posts everything to the boards. Perhaps each player is allowed one email a day, or two emails a turn, or something like that. But they are to be strongly, STRONGLY encouraged to post to the boards -- even secret stuff -- though uber uber uber secret plans can be described through an email.

But these emails must NOT have qualifications -- "I'll do THIS if they do THAT, or THE OTHER THING if they do that INSTEAD", and so on.

Maybe have a move-during-the-turn template:

Secret projects/technology (the bats, golems, whatever)
Approximate fraction of force put into magic
Approximate fraction of force put into industrialization

BUT --

No dozen emails a turn. If they want to ask you if something is possible, ask it on the boards.

No chits on the board representing exact numbers of troops -- only approximations.

No specific power levels of troops -- only approximations (weak, moderate, strong, super-strong, super-duper strong).

And besides the template they send you, regarding secret projects during the turn . . . maybe one email a turn.

You'll reduce the time you spend by at least 80%, and we'll save the best parts of the IR.

Sound feasible, or no?

Forrester

zouron

First Post
Secret open I care?

hehe sicne you say I am in how much PL :p do I gain fromaround 500 turns :p (40+ years ago and sicne when did a wizard sit on his butt hehe research is the lord void is the god!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases