Monks, Tattooed Monks, and Epic levels

Kazuel

First Post
Tattooed Monks say as follows under Monk Abilities

A Tattooed Monk's class levels stack with his monk levels for determining his unarmed damage, AC bonus and unarmored speed bonus

Would you allow a 10Monk/10Tattooed Monk become an epic level monk at character level 21? Why or why not?

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
You could become an Epic Tattooed Monk. And I think that the Monk and Tattooed Monk level would still stack for unarmed damage, AC bonus and unarmored speed bonus. For example I think a 10 Monk/15 Tattooed Monk would have the unarmed damage, AC bonus and unarmored speed bonus of a level 25 Monk.

James McMurray

First Post
No. His levels only stack with monk levels for the purposes of determining his unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus. They don't stack for the purposes of becoming an epic monk. The only way to become an epic anything is to have 20 levels in the class, and then gain one more. (or whatever the max levels are for that class in the case of PrCs).

smetzger

Explorer
James McMurray said:
No. His levels only stack with monk levels for the purposes of determining his unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonus. They don't stack for the purposes of becoming an epic monk. The only way to become an epic anything is to have 20 levels in the class, and then gain one more. (or whatever the max levels are for that class in the case of PrCs).

I would think that an Epic Tatooed Monk would have the same monk attacks as an Epic Monk. It wouldn't be very Epic if it didn't.

Lord_Fergus

First Post
Except he would have 10 levels in a PrC which would qualify him at 21st level to become an Epic Tattoed Monk. Only the base classes require 20 full levels to be considered epic in them. For PrCs the requirement is 10 levels + 10 levels of PrC to enable Epic PrC the next level.

James McMurray

First Post
If you gain levels as an epic tattooed monk, those levels will stack with your non epic monk levels for the purposes of unarmed damage, AC bonus, and unarmored speed bonuses. However, you are still not an epic monk, you're an epic tattooed monk. You gain whatever epic class progression the tattooed monk has, not the monk.

James McMurray

First Post
Only the base classes require 20 full levels to be considered epic in them. For PrCs the requirement is 10 levels + 10 levels of PrC to enable Epic PrC the next level.

If that reply is to me, thanks for reiterating my point.

There may be times when you need more than 10 levels of a class to qualify for taking it to its epic progression, and you could have less than 10 other class levels. I can only think of one class this would fit offhand, its one of the dragon classes from the Draconomicon, and so would require 12 level before going epic.

ForceUser

Explorer
Lord_Fergus said:
Except he would have 10 levels in a PrC which would qualify him at 21st level to become an Epic Tattoed Monk. Only the base classes require 20 full levels to be considered epic in them. For PrCs the requirement is 10 levels + 10 levels of PrC to enable Epic PrC the next level.
What about prestige classes with only five levels, or three? Can you become an Epic Nature's Warrior?

Remove ads