Return of the King #1 Movie of the Year

Kai Lord

Hero
Nope. Simply curious as to how long it would take. Though with today's audiences, nothing's a given, as the B.O. leaders of 2001 and 2002 (and almost every year) attest.

Storminator

First Post
Kai Lord said:
Nope. Simply curious as to how long it would take. Though with today's audiences, nothing's a given, as the B.O. leaders of 2001 and 2002 (and almost every year) attest.

Were you surprised that Harry Potter took #1? That seems like as close to a given as anything could get.

PS

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I think FotR was better than Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, but Spidey was a better flick than TTT, especially the theater cut. Haven't seen RotK yet so the jury is out for me.

Kai Lord

Hero
Storminator said:
Were you surprised that Harry Potter took #1? That seems like as close to a given as anything could get.
Definitely not a given. It edged FOTR by a mere what...one or two million? And that was with many more small children in attendance. It could have been the same for Spider-Man, but it still would have been nice to see a vastly superior movie like TTT be rewarded with the top spot (not that anyone at New Line is complaining I'm sure).

And like kindergarten-friendly movies Harry Potter and Spider-Man, Finding Nemo could have been the one to edge out LOTR this year, but unlike the previous two years, quality won the day. :cool:

Last edited:

Welverin

First Post
Kai Lord said:
It could have been the same for Spider-Man, but it still would have been nice to see a vastly superior movie like TTT be rewarded with the top spot (not that anyone at New Line is complaining I'm sure).

Vastly suerior? Not quite.

And like kindergarten-friendly movies Harry Potter and Spider-Man, Finding Nemo could have been the one to edge out LOTR this year, but unlike the previous two years, quality won the day. :cool:

Seeing as how RotK made the vast majority of it's money in 2004, it didn't beat out Finding Nemo for the top spot in 2003.

Oh and Spider-man is not kindergarten friendly.

Kai Lord

Hero
Welverin said:
Vastly suerior? Not quite.
Yep. Of course movies nearly universally recognized as great such as all three LOTR films, Casablanca, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc., will always have a few people like yourself who say "yeah well I like Spider-Man better."

Welverin said:
Seeing as how RotK made the vast majority of it's money in 2004, it didn't beat out Finding Nemo for the top spot in 2003.
It beat Nemo as the highest grossing 2003 release. Whether its earnings carried over into 2004 is irrelevant.

Welverin said:
Oh and Spider-man is not kindergarten friendly.
Of course it is.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases