does identifying an item reveal a curse?

Mystendanian

First Post
Just wondering if you find a magic item and it has a curse on it, does casting the identify spell reveal the curse? What about detect magic? Analyze Dweomer?

If none of the above, how is a player to find out a curse on an item other than using it and it becomes too late?

Gregor

First Post
If I recall, Identify will only reveal a cursed item as the item it is pretending to be. Thus, if you find a magic sword and identify it and it appears to be a +3 weapon, that is what the curse is using as its guise. Now, using Analyze Dweomer will reveal that the weapon is in fact cursed.

Hope that helps,

Ottergame

First Post
Identify has a 1% chancer per caster level of the indetifier to detect the curse. Analyze Dweomer always detects the curse.

dark2112

First Post
Ottergame said:
Sorry, didn't even think to quote the page number, doh!
I've gotten into the habit. As a friend of mine pointed out when we were talking about rarity in comparison to prices, "Everyone has an opinion. That's why no one values them." More or less a quote. (Can't recall the precice wording)

Telperion

First Post
dark2112 said:
Which is found on Pg. 274, just below Table 7-31 in DMG 3.5, for those of you who are looking.

Why didn't WotC add this to the spell description in the first place? If it hadn't been for this thread I probably wouldn't have noticed this little detail for a long time...

MichaelH

First Post
axehand2 said:
i think it is opinions are like a#$holes everyone has one and they all stink
I always liked this one, and you can say it almost anyplace: Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has a couple of them, and they usually stink.

dark2112

First Post
Telperion said:
Why didn't WotC add this to the spell description in the first place? If it hadn't been for this thread I probably wouldn't have noticed this little detail for a long time...
If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have known at all! ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases