Mastering the rules? Is it really possible?

caudor

Adventurer
I can honestly say that I've read the 3.5 Player's Handbook & DM Guide cover to cover...and sadly, forgotten most of it. Even though I try to be prepared with cheat sheets and battle planners, it seems there is always something that happens during the game that causes me to halt and lookup something. For example, last game there was a player that wanted to do a trip action, and guess what--I had to look up (again) how it worked. I was frustrated that I could not recall the specifics.

Does anyone else find it difficult to master the rules? Perhaps I'm getting old and feeble-minded. Back when I played 2e, I felt like I knew it all. The game seemed much easier to master.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or if not, what is your secret to getting this stuff down? Is 3e really more complicated than previous versions?

Thanks in advance for you comments and advice.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
caudor said:
For example, last game there was a player that wanted to do a trip action, and guess what--I had to look up (again) how it worked. I was frustrated that I could not recall the specifics.

Hey, don't feel bad about it. Every session I have to look up spells and actions. I would be really surprised if you didn't have to. Although the 3rd/3.5 rules are tidy and work well together, they are a hell of a lot to remember.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
Spellcards, the pdf ones with all the info, inspired me to make feat cards, special attack cards (trip/disarm/sunder/etc.), and skill cards for all my players. Keeps the need for the books at the table down, and gives the game a sorta card-game feel to it without loosing it's DnDism.

caudor said:
Is it possible to master the rules?

It would appear so. His name is Hypersmurf :)

Seriously, I too feel like I knew everything about 2E, but that's because we played for what, 15 years? 3E's only been around for 4! Give yourself a chance man!

AR

buzz

Adventurer
caudor said:
Does anyone else find it difficult to master the rules? Perhaps I'm getting old and feeble-minded. Back when I played 2e, I felt like I knew it all. The game seemed much easier to master.
Well, there was so little you could do in pervious editions, it was easy to remember it all. ;)

I haven't met anyone yet who knew all the rules to any edition of (A)D&D. Someone over on RPG.net once deconstructed how AD&D1e combat was really supposed to work, and the end result was absolutely nothing like any game of 1e I'd ever played. Heck, Gygax never even played 1e the way it was written. :)

D&D is a big game. Ditto games like HERO or GURPS. Until you've been palying it for a decade or two, you're going to have to crack open the book during play. Even then, you're not going to remember every word.

They key, I think, is to get familiar with basic concepts and patterns that underly the system so that you know how to wing it when you don't want to stop play to look throgh your books. I dunno; the "DM's helper" plus a basic familiarity with what DC equates to what general level of difficulty will get you through most situations.

Crothian

First Post
caudor said:
Does anyone else have this problem? Or if not, what is your secret to getting this stuff down? Is 3e really more complicated than previous versions?

I don't know all the rules, but I know the important ones. But the key for me is to cover what abilities the players have (including spells and magical itesm) and what I expect to be using that session. If no one uses grabble, I don't have to know the rules. :D

Occasionally, something will happen that I don't know by the rules exactly how to deal with it. So, and I believe this is the most important key in any role playing session, the players trust that what I do will be fun for everyone and fair. So, I don't have to pause and look something up, I can wing it and look it up later. The players trust me and I trust my players. It helps a lot.

I had the 3.0 rules "almost" mastered, only the grappling rules remained vague.

Then 3.5 came out. Now I don't know 3.0 or 3.5 any better than an average player.

TiQuinn

I lost all interest in trying to master the rules with this last edition. Not a knock, but I just can't keep up anymore, particularly with all the different rules that come out from d20 publishers.

I'm just not 17 years old anymore where I can read RPG books all day long.

reiella

Explorer
It comes from practice and application really.

Trip and Grapple Rule-Cheats are something that should be on DM sheets though. The size modifiers are annoying to remember and are usually what I need to look up.

Grapple is so critical to many monsters that it becomes necessary to know as a DM, and quite often as a player as well (opposed check magic!).

I wouldn't worry about it really, it breaks down the first few times you have to use a new 'rule'/'option', but it shouldn't be too long for you to acclimate.

The worst for me came when I read Eric's AoO notes and cheat sheets and finally understood how AoOs work :). Made for a nice confusing session as we all tried to learn and remember the rules together.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases