EDIT - Looking for a few suggestions on a HOLY Warrior Build

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Ok so i'm starting up a new campign with my buddies. Our new DM has asked us what type of character we are each going to play. Pretty much every game we've played i've always been a mage and at this point i want to try something new. So for the only character seleceted is a Halfling Rogue. There are going to be two (maybe three) other guys (thats including me) Im' thinking of going warrior in this game just not sure how to approach it. What has worked for you guys as an effective and ***** warrior, be it Barbarians, Paladins, Fighters, etc etc. We're going to start at level 1 so its (at this point) going to be a low level game.

Last edited:

Epametheus

First Post
Don't be surprised if your warrior has like half the AC that your mage was able to pull off.

Sword & Board, two-weapon, mounted, two-handed weapon, and archery are the main combat styles. I guess being a reach-fighter (specializing in pole-arms or the spiked chain) gets its own subclassification, as does a grappler.

Con is probably the most important stat, since you're going to take tons of damage; you want at least a 14. Cha is meaningless unless you're a Paladin (if you are, then Charisma just might be your most important stat). Int and Wis are kinda optional. Skill points are good, and the party casters can usually cover you when you botch your will saves (which you'll probably do on a regular basis, unless you're paladin).

Str and Dex are kinda weird. Archery, two-weapon, and reach basically require high dex. Almost everything benefits from high Str, though. Grapplers and two-handers absolutely need it.

If you're melee, you'll want power-attack and cleave (my group had a fighter who didn't get cleave until 6th level; there was a rather critical battle that he lost at 5th level because he didn't have it (he was captured instead of killed, since the DM felt sorry for him)), and if you're a paladin you'll want Divine Might. Otherwise, just go with whatever gimmicks you think look neat and go for it. Just don't waste feats on dumb things like Endurance. Also, don't limit yourself to a single weapon.

MorganKiller

First Post
If you like dwarwes keep an eye on the possibility of playing a Dwarwen Defender. Play a plain fighter for 7 levels and tha this class just rocks...
IMO you should not understimate the whirlwind attack chain feat. It's expensive in terms of feats, but gives you spring attack, mobility and expertise. Whirlwind attack does wonders if combined with improved trip...
With a reach weapon or a spiked chain you can do very nasty things. Also if you have reach you could try a trip/disarm attack anyway w/out provoking AoO.

If you like reach, you could consider going towards the Dragon Disciple... but that's a bit complicated...

MorganKiller

First Post
If you like dwarwes keep an eye on the possibility of playing a Dwarwen Defender. Play a plain fighter for 7 levels and tha this class just rocks...
IMO you should not understimate the whirlwind attack chain feat. It's expensive in terms of feats, but gives you spring attack, mobility and expertise. Whirlwind attack does wonders if combined with improved trip...
With a reach weapon or a spiked chain you can do very nasty things. Also if you have reach you could try a trip/disarm attack anyway w/out provoking AoO.

If you like reach, you could consider going towards the Dragon Disciple... but that's a bit complicated...

frisbeet

First Post
The controversy in 3.0 and 3.5 has always raged about the virtues of fighters, especially how they don't scale as spellcasters do at high levels, etc. See the WOTC boards for such ad nauseam debate. What always gets lost, it seems to me, is the joy of playing fighter-types at low levels. It's not like we all measure our D&D playing experience by the endpoint of our characters' careers. Memorable moments in my playing career are of surviving orc/hobgoblin/Gary-Gygax-module encounters when my guy has like, 12 hps and all the badies are swinging two-handed battleaxes--yikes.

Anyways, my advice is: take all the feats you can which enhance your AB and weapon damage and increase your number of attacks. Cleave, Combat Reflexes if you have Dex>13, WF, WS, etc. A single level of barbarian, especially taken at 1st character level, is nice for that extra edge once/day. Max your strength. You're better off with 16 Str 14 Con than the other way around, because 1 hp won't save your butt but killing one or more (by virtue of cleave) orcs in a single round sure will. Your buddies appreciate it too. Usually the mage says "cool" after misfiring his crossbow and casting mage armor. Thanks Merlin, see you in a few levels.

Also, spring attack is a vastly underrated feat.

Korak

First Post
What are you interested in?

Some of the other posters have listed numerous possible paths and styles to choose from. Perhaps we could give you some more specific advice if you were to let us know what your preferences are. What kind of fighter interests you? What kind of things would you like your fighter to be good at?

Kazuel

First Post

Forget going fighter. Go rogue for 6 levels devoting your self to archery and then at 7th lvl go Order of the Bow inititate, You will be doing some serious damage from afar and in some cases out damaging the fighter and mage.

jarlaxlecq

First Post
Kazuel said:
Forget going fighter. Go rogue for 6 levels devoting your self to archery and then at 7th lvl go Order of the Bow inititate, You will be doing some serious damage from afar and in some cases out damaging the fighter and mage.

no thats not going to work, i most likely am going to be the tank of this group so i need to be able to take hits AND give them.

Darklone

Here I always like to suggest a dwarven mechanic. He's Ftr/Rog with extraordinary Con and wields a double weapon while wearing heavy armour. You'll have enough feats for TWF combat, many hitpoints and extra sneak attack damage while being able to bear getting hit.

Remove ads