A slight change to maximise spell

Stalker0

Legend
We've all heard the arguments that maximise for its +3 doesn't compare to empower at +2. But what to do. What if we augment maximise just a little bit.

Now, its maximises all variables, AND increases the caster level by 1.

I don'T think it would be too bad, since when you can actually maximise, you're usually pretty near the maximum caster level you can attain. What I mean is, for a Fireball:

A fireball is 3rd level. If you want to maximize it, you have to be 11th level (6th level slot). The fireball can't do more than 10d6 (60) points of damage, so increasing the caster level to 12 doesn't do it much good.

I'm sure a similar analysis can be done for higher-level spells with higher damage caps.

AR

Eraslin

First Post
Consider the metamagic rods from T&B, however. With this change, a 9th (say) level wizard casting a fireball through the rod would do 60 damage instead of the 54 damage he would have done before. It's a tiny advantage, but not one that's liable to break the feat in my opinion.

What would be the result of that same 9th level wizard casting an empowered fireball through the same maximize rod (assuming he could afford one in the first place)? Would it be:

1) 6 * \floor(9 * 1.5) + 6 = 6 * 14 = 84 dmg
or
2) 6 * \floor(10 * 1.5) = 6 * 15 = 90 dmg

Either way, it still wouldn't be busted in my opinion. Really wouldn't gain the caster very much, but it wouldn't hurt.

-Eraslin

Eraslin, an empowered maximized fireball (at 10th level, for example) doesn't do 90 points of damage, it does 60 + 0.5*10d6.

I had forgotten about spell penetration.

AR

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Trainz said:
I wasn't aware of that Altamont. Where is it stated in the books (so that I can show my gaming comrades) ?

At the least, it's mentioned under Maximized Spell:

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases