[meta] What part of the world do you live in?

What part of the world do you live in?

• United States

Votes: 369 64.6%
  • Canada

Votes: 52 9.1%
  • Mexico and Central America

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • South America

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Great Britian

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • Western Europe

Votes: 75 13.1%
  • Eastern Europe

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Central Asia

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Indian Subcontinent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Middle East

• Africa

• Japan and Pacific Islands

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Australia and New Zealand

Votes: 26 4.6%
  • Other (give details below!)

Votes: 11 1.9%

Henry

Autoexreginated
Doc_Souark said:
Ok by the South let's say below the Mason-Dixon line ok, I'm offended to be called a Yankee BTW ~sniff~

Need I remind you, Doc, that we're ALL Yanks to the Aussies... except for the Penguins. :D

I, myself, live in the most boring, and therefore the most perfect, state in the USA - South Carolina! :)

P.S. - S'mon said:
BTW in my experience Southern-US culture is a lot closer to that of northern England, Northern Ireland & Scotland than it is to southern England. I don't know Yankee culture well enough to judge how alike it is to southern England, but New York & London certainly seem quite similar.

Actually, I've often wondered if some Scandinavian Explorers from the 800's A.D. wound up traveling to the American southeast. I've been doing reading on their culture at that time, and I swear I can see something of them in everything that we do here culturally.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Born and bred a Buckeye. Columbus, Ohio. Home of the Buckeyes.

Way to many people from that place up north on these boards!! :D (Just kidding!)

Dieter

First Post
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a 15 year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy - the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical: summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really.

Well, not really... I'm a native Marylander who spends his days working in Washington, D.C. And despite Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line, I'm not a southerner. Just ask someone from Virginia.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
What I'm most bemused about is the grouping of Japan and Pacific Islands

Come on firstly where talking about the Worlds BIGGEST geographic feature (the Pacific Ocean) as a single group and yet we divide a small peninsula off the side of Asia into east and west and GB!!!

Am I also mistaken or is their no East Asia category (we have Middle East, India, Central Asia but nowhere to put Japan, Singapore, Malaysia etc!!!)

Anyway geographically and socially it makes much more sense to group the Pacific Islands with Australia and NZ than it does with Japan (or East Asia)

btw I'm from Aotearoa sometimes referred to as New Zealand:)

and talking about Pacific Islands am I the only person of Polynesian descent here?

I also just noticed that Africa (the worlds second largest continent) is a single group but America is split into south, central and US and Canada!

gee I could sit here and deconstruct this poll all day (damn those Sociology classes!!!):)

Urbanmech

Explorer
Yet another person from the USA. San Francisco to be more specific. Don't be too hard on PCat for his groupings of countries. It would be one damn long poll if he divided things too much.

Ziggy

First Post
Lacking an entry for Scandinavia, I had to pick Western Europe :)

BTW, I live at appr. 64 degrees north, anyone living even further north ?

.Ziggy

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Tonguez said:
What I'm most bemused about is the grouping of Japan and Pacific Islands... I also just noticed that Africa (the worlds second largest continent) is a single group but America is split into south, central and US and Canada! .... gee I could sit here and deconstruct this poll all day!

And you'd probably be right to do so!

What you might not have realized is that I was shooting for higher granularity in areas that I knew more of us are from. For instance, outside of the Middle East, I don't think there are any members from Africa... at least, none that I know of. I'm not going to split Africa into multiple sections, when no one is from any of them.

Of course, in retrospect, I should have separated out Scandanavia from the rest of Western Europe. You also made some good suggestions about the Pacific groupings. Eh, it's not perfect, but it will answer some questions; my apologies to anyone I inadvertently offended.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases