Homebrew Worlds- What is in YOUR world?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Mirrorball Man said:
Thank you.

Unfortunately, no, I don't have a website, and to add insult to injury, The World is written entirely in French. If guess that more or less guarantees that my players and I will be the only people on Earth to enjoy it. :D

Oh well, lucky them. :p

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Here's what I'm either working on or playing ATM.

New Earth: This is a psuedo-Rifts knock-off using D20 Modern as a base, but uses fantasy races, monsters, and so forth. No mecha, but there are mutations, cybernetics, nanotech, and magic from a range of sources from Darwin's World, Gamma World, Urban Arcana, and D20 Modern. The party is slowly on their way to uncovering a plot to destroy the Earth (which is a powerful well of mystical energy) in order to gain control of the legendary Star Forge. It won't be too long before they leave the confines of Earth and explore the furthest reaches of the universe.

The Unending Lands: This is a more traditional fantasy setting. The world is one that was formed from the blasted pieces of a cataclysm that spans the entire Prime Material Plane. I'm not gaming in it right now (still in the development stage), but it's going to offer a wide array of races and classes derived from D&D, CW, UA, Diablo2, EQ, Dragonlance, PsyHB, AU, and OA. The idea behind this is that world is constantly expanding as more worlds in the prime are destroyed and someone (thing?) is saving a few by bringing them to the world (called Tael). There are several rather large continent in the "Core Lands", but a vast ocean spreads out to other small to large islands to the "Mid Lands" and "The Edge." It so far has a very Star Wars-like feel, but still holds to common fantasy conceptions. Many of the adventures I have planned will center around exploration and discovery of what the cause of the Cataclysm is. Lots of sea-based adventures. It should be great fun. Plus it leaves the world open to quick and easy additions as future supplements are released.

Gene-Freaks: A Mutants and Masterminds game that only recently started. The players are all teen-agers that have only recently discovered their mutant powers. It's a blatant X-Men rip-off in many instances. It deals with racism and hatred of the unknown and secret government programs, but there is no academy for mutants. So far, the party has been captured and sent to a detention camp (that's how they met), and escaped. In the future, as they get stronger (all the players started at PL 5), they will fight much of the standard comic book faire, but I do have a major surprise in store for them!

There you go,
Kane

Woas

First Post
I guess I'll add my homebrew in. Use this to solidify my thoughts... I'm a history major so a lot of my campaign history reflects some historic events in our real world. The original poster said to make it a short discription. But since this thread has been burried in the past week or so, I thought a nice, long discription might get some flare back into it. Maybe...

Edar

(note: Edar means 'earth' in draconic)

4000 to 5000+ years ago: The Planar Wars The Material Plane and all other planes have been in existence for thousands of years. Humanity and civilization had reached great heights and were thriving. However, through natural entropy great strife has slowly building up between the gods and planes. Many secret deals and alliances between planes were created and many knew the final days were coming soon. You see, the material plane is the central plane with all other planes circled around it. The outer planes do not touch each other, but do to touch the material plane. This to get from one plane to another, one must first travel through the material plane. Several records that have survived from this time explain a pact of druids whom worshipped the god of the air plane tracked down the son of the earth god whom was traveling on the material plane at the time as an ambassador. It is unknown if the druids acted own their own or if there were other forces involved, the records are not clear, but what is believed to have started as a tense name calling encounter escalated into the death of the earth god's son, Thio. The news of Thio's death spread quickly across the planes and Ragoon, god of earth mobilized his forces and began his march onto the material plane declaring total war upon the Air goddess Ilirya. Because of the complex series of alliances, pacts and defense agreements throughout the planes, the Planar War began. (This is blatantly a WW1 rip. But...)
The planes mobilized their vast armies and the material plane becomes the battlefield of the conflict. The god of the material plane could not field a large enough army nor negotiate a neutrality agreement in time, and was soundly dethroned of his godly powers. The rest of humanity became lost without a godly leader and thousands apon thousands of innocent lives were destroyed by the wake of these fantastical armies, marching across the material plane.

These few remaining recorder documents of the events and warfare that survived are now holy relics. All other information has been lost through the generations. No one is sure how long the fighting lasted and the records are not specific about it nor tell any specific dates. Some estimate one to two hundred years and still other folklore speak of thousands of years. In reality this is not important. What is important is that humanity had been driven into a state of near extinction. Small tribes of the former civilized humanoids eeked out what little living they could in the most remote areas on Edar, using all their resources to hide and escape the grand armies of the planes.

The ancient documents do not mention much of it. But many sages and students of lore believe that the only hope humanity had was with a small cluster of powerful wizards who were linked to the material plane god (his or her name is lost in history) in some way. Although this folklore is just that, folklore and cannot be proven, the sages and historians seem to confirm that this the story of the magi must be true, since it is the only story every culture tells the same, with hardly any discrepancies. Thus, the story goes that using all resources available to them, these wise and powerful magi were able to confine themselves from the armies of the planes and research the arcane way, believing they may discover some way to turn the armies away.
Through years apon years of diligent research, study, measurements, tests and failures, the magi were able to developed a spell that not even the gods would be able to reverse without extensive expender of resources. Resources the magi knew the planes did not have. This seal would close the planar gates and permanently close the material plane from the others; thus ending the blind carnage that was brought apon the material world. The portals however worked both ways and once the magi closed these doorways to the planes, they were closed from both ways and the armies that were already here would not be able to leave. The magi thought long and hard and decided that the planar armies would kill each other off, and in the end, the material plane and humanity would be saved. So, on a rocky shore of a desolate island with the waves blasting up from the water beneath them, the magi gathered and began. When they opened their eyes and stared into the sky, they could see the sun. For the first time in their life they saw the sun slowly sinking in the horizon. The sun blinded the magi at first and they turned their heads away. They were scared; scared that they may have done something terribly wrong. But oh how far from the truth that idea was. The skies were a menagerie of colors. Blues, purples, golds, oranges, yellows, and reds. The magi had never seen anything like it before. This is because when the portals were opened, the skies were dark, the sun nonexistent, and the weather constantly storming from the turmoil of the planar gates.

While the magi worked for those two to three hundred years (the recorders are lost on this as well) they created 15 tomes. These tomes were manuals of the planes and where known to have complete descriptions of the planes as well as ways untold depths of arcane knowledge. When the magi saw the beautiful world that was the material plane, they agreed that never again should the planes use the material plane as their personal battlefield. Some accounts say that the magi destroyed the 15 tomes, since it is believed that if anyone were to find and translate said tomes, all the secrets of the universe would be revealed. Other accounts say that the magi hid them across the world in remote areas... Guarded by the most fearsome magical beasts one could imagine...

1000-1500+ years ago: The Dark Ages The planar armies did not last very long once their link home hand vanished. Many planar creatures require nutrients that can only be found on their native plan, and thus starved to death when the supplies dried up. The ones that could survive on the material plane slowly died off from attrition and combat that still sprung up at times, although not as frequently.

Eventually the warfare died down and only individual planar creatures were left. Many of these beings were the elite of the elite, having been on the material plane since the first days. They roamed the landscape for years, lonely and brooding, seeking ways to some how return home or at least make the most out of their time left on the material plane. The demons, devils and other beings that were not kind found small tribes and villages and brainwashed the cultures (famously the Orc and goblinoid peoples) and corrupted their minds to further their own goals and power. Other planar creatures like angels, archons and such realized what they had been doing to the people of the material plane and began to repent their ways of combat. They would settle down with small tribal peoples and guarded them from predators and helped them grow (famously the humans, elves... PHB races) from small tribes of 30 people, into huge empires and kingdoms in the hundreds of thousands of people.
Like all good things (and evil things) the planar creatures that re-planted the seed of civilization eventually reached their times and passed away. In the world of Edar, huge temples dedicated to these beings can be found all over the world. Some long forgotten from some lost empire or kingdom who moved away to better land or had been destroyed by some rival. With their leaders gone humanity searched for other figures to guide them. Dragons who roamed the world, shunned by the planar beings and kept from interacting with humanity seemed to be perfect candidates, and slowly, dragons found themselves to be the new demi-gods to humanity. There are no records of what happened to the dragons or where they went during the planar wars. In fact, there are no records that dragons even existed before the planar wars. Many believe that dragons are the reincarnation of the planar beings, who's souls could not rest in peace on a foreign plane. But nobody is certain.

200-500 years ago: The Re-Birth of Civilization / Age of the Dragons Dragons became the movers and shakers, leaders, etc of the world. Humanity begins to forget its original saviors and worship the dragons as their gods. However this is not the case with some of the races that naturally live long such as the elves. But under the wings of the dragons, humanity again re-populates the face of the world. Major empires expand. The arcane ways a researched and studied, and there is general prosperity throughout the world with little to no conflicts. It is in this time period that several of the ancient tomes supposedly left by the great magi are located (two) and there is a global reaction to the question raised by their discovery. Everyone is full aware that the planar gates are locked (Game mechanic: Characters cannot learn or discover spells that allow them to travel planes. Teleportation is allowed, so is etherness and such since they overlap the material world. Summon Monster also works... no one is sure exactly why. In reality, it works because there is still a 'back door' that is opened and connecting the planes. However this back door does not allow people to simply pass through it like the planar gates did, things must be "forced" through, like with a summon spell)
With the discovery of the two tomes, many leaps and bounds in the arcane arts were made. The discovery of permanency spells, metamagic feats and all explained in the tomes. Within a year, large cities were being lit with permanent flame lampposts, fancy neon signs adorned cafes, stores, and pubs and attracted customers, permanent images modeled clothing in textile stores along with a plethora of other social advancements. All the result of the tomes knowledge.

Not all societies embraced these radical changes, or at the least found drastically different ways to use them. Fractures within cultures and peoples, split over what to do with the knowledge began to rise and the seeds for the Global Nationalist Revolutions were planted.

100-150 years ago: Super Nationalist Ages / Global Age Several generations had passed from the discovery of the two tomes. The cultural factions had taken deep roots and many leaders and governments found it difficult to control their people. The spark that ignited the flame of the Global Nationalist Revolutions originated in the larger human empire of Pandora. The spark wasn't much of a spark and no blood was shed. The empire had officially worshipped a silver dragon named Okander. However the Pandoran people were 'rescued' many years ago before the dragons came by a hound archon named Idune. This group (nick named the Idunites) believed that the Pandoran Empire should honor Idune and not forget his great deeds and create a tri-theistic religion where Idune and Seryaneliric (Okander's predecessor) would be worshipped as equals. The Idunites marched to the capitol city to hold rallies and such. While the rallies in the city were underway, several leaders of the Idunites met with Emperor Rycaro, Okander and their council. No bloodshed accrued and a peaceful resolution was found. At first the Idunites would be allowed to send an official delegate to the emperors council. However this was only a small step and eventually in three years, the Idunites broke from Pandora and created their own nation, centered in the island city of Worldorn, only a half days journey by ferry from the capitol of Pandora. This bold statement spread throughout the land and many organizations who felt the same way were inspired, and thus created large super-nationalistic states.

Well then. There you have it. I give that to all my players to read and ask them to use it when making background story for their characters. There are many open ended issues that I left like that on purpose, so that players can have their characters take a stand on the issue. For example, how the character feels on the issue of re-opening the planar gates, how nationalistic they are, etc. As a DM, the history ends a generation back so anything can really happen in the mean time so it gives me breathing room to create things on the fly, or as needed. Anyway, hope you all like it. And hopefully others will put their homebrews up too... I really enjoy reading other peoples worlds and stuff.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
CASTING: Thread Resurrection!

For some of the newer members who would like to contribute to the thread. Tell us about your homebrewed world. What makes it unique? What were your influences?

Cheers!

KF72

Psion

Adventurer
Knightfall1972 said:
CASTING: Thread Resurrection!

I suspected you were the one who did this...

For some of the newer members who would like to contribute to the thread. Tell us about your homebrewed world. What makes it unique? What were your influences?

How about us old members who aren't playing the same world anymore? ;)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Aquerra
It seems that no place in Aquerra is very far from the sound of sea against the shore. The call of the blue-green swirls of its currents and waves seem to infect the very dreams of man and elf, inspiring desire to travel or poets to wonder at its length and breadth.

Even as ships slide silently across the placid waters of its summer time seas, ever in danger of being tossed by one of Tefnut's sudden storms, do men toss their fate across the oceans.

Ra's Glory streaks the green surface with ribbons of gold, and warms the faces of those that tack into the wind, to find new lands or explore neighboring island kingdoms that they have heard of all their lives.

But Bes' luck is fickle in this land of dark city spires on sea shores, and pirate fleets that fear only those dragons that have taken to a life at sea or the gibbering hordes of the devilmen of the deep that may lurk just beyond the horizon. And, so the danger of these fearless men and monsters always overshadows every adventurous endeavor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aquerra is a homebrew campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. It was first developed in the summer of 1989 for the advent of the 2nd Edition rules, and has been undergoing a long conversion to the 3rd edition rules since summer of 2000.

Aquerra is a world of many small islands scattered across seemingly endless ocean. In the 16 years since it was first used to run games, there have been over a dozen campaigns started in the setting, four of which have last for two or more years.

Check the link to the wiki in my sig.

Dragonbait

Explorer
Rhimm - A world started from a dream I had. Thus, the world itself was created from the dreams of the creator dragon goddess. It is rather eclectic because I tried to cater to many different game styles (from humor to dark, from horror to high adventure to intrigue). Lots of races and cultures. I used standard races, lots of animal people and lots of my own creations (I have dropped many of these in order to make sure that each race has a true identity and culture, rather than just being a 'furry human' or 'human with pointed ears'. Also, Rhimm started as a 2nd edition setting, so racial interpriations are not exactly the same as they are now) I GMed many incarnations of it over the last 9 years. I am proud to say that it has become a stable setting in the eyes of many of my players, and they regularly refer back to it, the races, and the cultures. My second group, which reformed just last week after 2 years, is still making references to it. I'm a perfectionist, however, and have always been picking at the setting and the race rules, while trying to keep what the players remember the same. When Eberron came out, I saw many, many of Rhimm's concepts in that setting. It was very eerie..

In my last campaign, I destroyed Rhimm. Bwuhahahahahahaa

Danira (a temporary name): Danira is a world spawned off of Rhimm. It's brand-spaking-new, so I don't have much to say about it. I used many races from Arcana Evolved (Giants, Drach, Mojh, Litorians, Sibeccai), and some from other sources. Dwarves are there, as are evles (non-core rule elves, but they are still very much elven), halflings (hobbits and the new kind. I don't know what to do with them just yet), and half-orcs. I'm using Elsir Vale, from the Red Hand of Doom campaign as the setting, so I have not delved much into other cultures and such yet.

Galethorn

First Post
Well, I've got three 'good' fantasy settings, really; Aaldor is the one I ran a full campaign in, Vyrland is the one I've been whittling away at in my spare time, and Sky Pirates is on the back-burner for the time being.

FYI, all of these are True20 settings. Aaldor is 'medium' magic (mages are secretive but not uncommon, and there are plenty of magic items if you know where to look; they're just not for sale); Vyrland is 'low' magic (few actual spell-casting types, magic items only to be found in old tombs and in the hands of the rich and secretive); Sky Pirates is 'high' magic (magic-users in every town, large ships have lightning/fireball/ice shells for their cannons, and many settlements have golems to perform menial tasks). Aaldor is also human-only in terms of PCs, but also includes various demons and nature spirits which could be called sentient, and a plethora of large, carnivorous non-magical creatures; Vyrland only has humans and large, not-so-smart creatures like trolls and small, flightless dragons; Sky Pirates has a whole bunch of different creatures around, many sentient, many more 'animals' more or less.

Aaldor
The ever warm and fertile lands around the Summer Sea are locked in an centuries-old religious war over the Holy Land of Daryaaros, where it is said the mothers and fathers of all the races of mankind strode out from the Holy River. While the great kingdoms clash on the field of battle, a secret war rages on in the alleyways and hidden corners of the region's cities. This war is between two secret societies of mages and scholars; one, the Cult of Haakai, seeks to ressurrect their dead god, and bring the End of Days, while the other, the Order of the Sun, does everything within its power to ensure that Haakai and his servants remain imprisoned in the Void.

Vyrland
The island-kingdom of Vyrland is in a rare state of peace after thousands of years of war and turmoil. That said, more followers of the Green Gods are burned at the stake by the Solisian Church every day, raids on the coast by Haerns is a constant threat, and Hillmen make any journey away from civilized lands dangerous. Of course, along with these mundane concerns, tales of spirits and evil omens have come from treasure-hunters in Umbria, the blighted land in the island's north. Some scholars worry that the darkness of the Umbrian Sorcerer-Kings of old is stirring.

Sky Pirates
The Anomian Archipelago is home to a great many strange inhabitants; the human explorers who discovered the island chain found kingdoms of gnomes living in citadels built into the lava tubes in island cliffs, tribes of elves who lived as masters of the shallows, swimming through reefs for half an hour with a single breath of air, and the Squidmen [think mind-flayer upper body and head, tentacles for lower body], who do not speak with words, but with thoughts. As well, the archipelago is home to the rare Floatstone, which enterprising alchemists managed to treat to make into a supple clay which could be applied to the hull of a ship. These ships then have balloons that act like a fish's swim bladder, and they can navigate the sky. Of course, some who take to the sky are pirates. Hence, Sky Pirates.

Last edited:

B9anders

Explorer
More than a Hundred millenia ago, an intergalactic civilization of powerful technomancers was destroyed when they meddled with powers beyond their control and opened doors for extradimensional terrors to race the galaxy. The most powerful survivers sealed the interdimensional gates with an artifact planted deep within the core of an innucuous planet. Setting themselves up as immortal deities, the technomancers watched over the world and tended to its development.

Since then, the world has passed through a number of world cycles, each dominated by a forceful theme that eventually grew to cataclysmic proportions, thus pwaing the way for a new world cycle. In the distant past, the elemental sorcerers ruled the world before their war destroyed themselves. The next world cycle was the rule of reptiles, when the majestic Le'kah enslaved the other races to create a worldspanning empire. They destroyed themselves in one grand ritual, attempting to control the sun, instead blighting the world with immense heat for decades. In the next world cycle, the elves rediscovered technomancy from lost ruins and built a new grand civilization. They were eventually destroyed by the 'gods' themselves, fearing they might grow to repeat their mistakes. The Age of Dragons followed, as these mighty wyrms came together to enslave the mortal races, building cities and citadels in sizes never seen before - They were felled by the dragonslayers, a rising nation of humans trained for nothing else, before they likewise succumbed to the war.
Then came the Age of Psions, when the halfling race discovered its innate psi capacity and rose to become the dominant civilisation. They likewise became their own undoing in the Psion Wars, scarring the race psychically as a whole, permanently.
The Age of Dwarves ensued as their mastery of runemagic grew and they rose to become the new leaders of the world. They were undone by a dark plague, corrupting and mutating whole kingdoms of theirs into monstrosities.

In the current world cycle, the central regions are ruled by the Great City-States, powerful cities of humankind, battling to unify their race as one and claim dominion of the world. The east is ruled by the the elves in their floating cities. Elsewhere, remnants of the old dwarven empire are still struglling to retain their lost splendour, others remain lost to their dark curse. In the deep corners of the earth, the lore and treasures of former world cycles, even dating back to the cycle of the gods/technomancers can be found, the threat of other dimensions still looms here and there and even outer space, as others from before the 'gods' came to the world, survived the dimensional war and have found themselves attracted to this planet.

The World of Sira is a place of high magic and high fantasy with a definite twist. Magic is everywhere and mastered in many forms. From the arcane arts of human wizards, to the spontaneous shapeshifting of barbarian tribes, almost every one can tap into the forces of magic to manifest some kind of power, whether it be the tiniest cantrip of a human peasant or the powerful Air magic of the elves.

Turanil

First Post
Highlands (Largely under construction)

This is a world of fantasy cliches, which reminds mostly of Western Europe in the middle ages. As such druids are celtic priests, clerics are Christian-like priests of a monotheistic faith. There is two main regions: a French medieval kingdom ruled by a Christian like theocracy; and a northern region of mountains inhabited by all manners of Celtic / Highlander clans, including dwarves and elves. The comology (the planes) differs from standard D&D great wheel (I discussed it on these boards earlier). Around those two regions are wilderness regions full of marauding gnolls and others nasties.

The purpose of this setting was to be "old-school medieval", where you can play the Tolkien races (which players are so much accustomed to) and archetypal knights, wizards, parish priests, etc. It is intended to be played with either D&D, d20 Legends of Dark Ages, Grim Tales, C&C, True20, HARP, and Savage Worlds.

However, work on this settings goes slowly. Its originality will be its overall quality: nice layout and many illustrations and maps. The world itself is totally vanilla without being too bland fantasy ala FR.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases