Homebrew Worlds- What is in YOUR world?

blackshirt5

First Post
Ketoria: A world of high-magic sword and sorcery, where Mercenary Clans clash with each other and against the demonic orcs, and diabolic hobgoblins. A world facing an invasion by the New King of The Lower Planes, Saekoru, who has united the Legions of Hell and the Hordes of the Abyss. A world where a small group of heroes is all the stands between the gods and their followers, and the dominion of evil.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
World of Kulan

BelenUmeria said:
Ok...post a short synopsis of your world (theme etc) in a paragraph. I think it would be cool to see some others. And if you have more than one...cool.

Describe Kulan as a short synopsis? That is impossible for me to do. But I’m going to post this anyway. Note: This is very long.

I guess the best place to start is this little bit from my web page, slightly modified:

World of Kulan is, well, unique in many ways. It is the one great accomplishment of my life as a World Builder. It lives through the characters my friends and I have created. Yet, it is still in its infancy, as a campaign, and if you asked me to describe the world in 100 words or less, I couldn't do it. I'm not even sure that would want to even try. Such limitations never serve the expansion of imagination as they bind a stereotypical mindset to a campaign that is hard to let go of once in place.

Kulan is traditional D&D, yet never conforms to one type of tradition. It can be exotic, if one knows where to tread. It can be ancient or decadent depending on where one searches for the past. It can be lost, in a sea of uncharted islands, or frozen, in northern barbarian lands. It can be powerful psionic knights of the Republic or it can be the wild, yet proud, humanoids of the humid savannas. It can be scorched deserts, lost to rest of the world for ages, or exotic lands ruled by khans, caliphs, or tsars. Anything is possible, yet nothing is written in stone.”

That’s the best short description I’ve ever written for it. To go deeper means describing each continent/region, as it’s own unique campaign. I will do this alphabetically…

The Fallenlands
The Fallenlands came about as result of needing an exotic locale for my players to explore for an ancient artifact. I didn’t want them to simply traverse Harqual, find the artifact, and bring it back. I wanted it to be a quest and a half. The end result was an adventure I entitled “Journey to the Fallenlands”.

Little did I know at the time, how much the Fallenlands would be like two of my favorite D&D campaign settings rolled into one, slightly altered, concept. You see, for the most part, the Fallenlands is a desert continent. From the Mountains of NarsKasis to the edge of the Ong Jungle, it is basically a huge homage to Dark Sun and Al-Qadim.

Ok, it’s a little more complex than that.

The Fallenlands is a hot, humid land where the genies known as the Jann rule huge, impenetrable, stone cities. It is a land where tribes of Kenku, Throkr, and other strange humanoids, such as the Sahne, vie for dominance of the desert wastes. It is home to the City of Cyrad, where isolated, pale-skinned humans struggle to survive against the environment and each other. It is the homeland of a race of noble, vulture-headed humanoids, called the Nagpa, older than any race on Kulan with life spans that even outstretch the elves of other continents.

This is the Fallenlands!

Harqual
Harqual is a land full of conflict.

For generations, the diverse races of the continent have been either fighting amongst themselves or battling the constant threat of humanoid invasion. Ogres, orcs, gnolls, and other evil humanoids roam the wild tracts of land between dozens of countries and city-states of the humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes, and rakasta. Twice have the ogres led the humanoid invasions, which became known as the Ogre Wars.

Before that were even darker times. Most of its history, either lost to the ravages of time or in the ancient ziggurats of the Old Sword Imperium, has remained hidden. What the people do remember are what is collectively known as the Black Wars. This dark time saw the rise and fall of petty warlords and kings; brought about by the Divinity War between the North Gods and the Sword Gods.

The North Gods were born by the Lord of the North, Cronn, a pantheon of barbarian gods who, for a time, lived amongst their people. The Sword Gods were born by Hiisi, The Lord of Darkness, a vile and twisted Finnish deity who came to Harqual to take the Essence of Cronn and corrupt the people of the land. The War raged across Harqual, god vs. god and mortal vs. mortal.

Eventually the war spilled over into Outer Planes. Many gods died on each side of the conflict and when the final battle came, the two pantheons clashed on the shores of Lunia, while the rest of the Multiverse watched. Hiisi launched a full assault forcing demons and dark followers to throw themselves against the petitioners and angels loyal to the North Gods.

In the end, the North Gods won and the fiends retreated. Cronn’s noble godson, Jaeger, God of Honor, trapped Hiisi in a dueling circle surrounded by the Finnish Gods, in Ympyrä Ristiriita, or The Challenge. Unable to defeat the powerful Greater God, Jaeger sacrificed his Essence to the Outer Planes so that Hiisi would remain banished in Carceri “for as long as my Great Father watches over the lands and people of Harqual.”

The fall of the Sword Gods left the Old Sword Imperium in chaos, which led to the time of the Black Wars.

Now, in current times, the past threatens to tear apart the present. New kingdoms and city-states fight to protect their lands from the dark followers of the remaining Sword Gods, as well as the machinations of the evil humanoids. A Third Ogre War seems inevitable. Worse still the continent suffers under an ancient & forgotten threat.

As Jaeger banished Hiisi, Cronn beseeched the World Goddess, Mirella, to banish another enemy from Harqual. This other god, Tu, Lord of the Tabaxi, tried to conquer Harqual as the last battle was being fought on Lunia. The World Goddess banished Tu and his people for a 1,001 years. Time passed the people of Harqual forgot about the tabaxi, even the longest-lived of the elves. They passed into legend and myth, as the races of Harqual fought each other and the humanoids threatening them all.

The 1,001 years are over. The tabaxi have returned and they bring the vengeance of Tu with them. War breaks out in the southern lands. Then, as if Fate was against Harqual, came The Transformation. A cataclysmic event, which causes strange magical fog to roll across the continent, warping land, creatures, and even individuals. Strange new lands, filled with new people and/or entire races, replace tracts of virgin wilderness or the fog warps the current land into new shapes and forms. Nothing is spared.

Chaos ensues. Alliances are broken, old feuds are renewed. No one is safe. Will the ogres come again? Will they align with the tabaxi and conquer all of Harqual?

Not even the gods know.

Janardun
Janardun is a mystery to me.

I had yet to create anything ’canon’ regarding the smallest continent-like landmass on Kulan (before this except from my website). Dominated by rolling plains & forests and low mountain ranges, Janardun is best described by two words, psionic knights. These are plate mail wearing psychic warriors (as per the class in the D&D Psionics Handbook), whom are part of a knightly order called The Insightful Order of the Republic. These Knights of the Mind, as they are sometimes called by the people, are the exception not the rule on Janardun. They tend towards neutrality and law in their outlook on life.

And while the Insightful Order is important to the Republic's survival - it doesn't rule it. A Council of Representatives rules the continent, one councilperson from each city, with one member elected as chancellor for one five year term (and only one). The Council is appointed by the will of the knights, not by nobles or the people. Why this done is simple -- tradition dictates it such and it has worked well for 3,000 years (why mess with a good thing). The knights can dissolve the Council at any time if they believe corruption has taken root. This is both a benefit and a bane to the Councils effectiveness. If the people wish something that the Council approves of but the knights do not (upsetting the Balance), then the knights will dismiss the Council.

However, this dissolving of the Council almost never happens. The people like the fact that the nobility has a lot less power and those nobles that join the knights give up all family ties and privileges. A member joins a branch of the knights that will now be his new family. In this structure, age and knowledge take precedence over strength and battle skill (although those are important if you don't want to get killed). Marriage is allowed within ones branch as long as the two members are not already related. However, marriage outside of the Insightful Order is frowned upon (the outsider would have to pledge to become a knight or the member would have to leave the Order).

As to what the knights fight against to protect the masses that, also, is describable in two words, ogre mages. This is the simple explanation, the long explanation is a lot more convoluted. Yes, ogre mages are violent, magic welding humanoids but a knight hardly ever battles one in direct combat. And those who did either died trying or were never the same afterwards. No, the true menaces of daily life are the athach, ettins, wild dwarves, darkwings, and quicklings that call the ogre mages, masters.

The ogre mages send their minions out of the mountains, dark forests and swamps to cause as much mischief and mayhem as possible. Whether it's darkwings and quicklings terrorizing farms and rural communities or athachs and ettins laying siege to castles and cities, no one is safe. Only the aaleear, shoyir elves, rakasta, and cyclops stand with the Knights against the evil giants and their minions.

What the Dark Ones hope to gain by this continuous onslaught or what their ultimate goals are still remain a mystery.

Kanpur
The continent of Kanpur is really two major landmasses, so close together they could be one. And in ancient times, they were. Kanpur is the cradle of ancient civilizations, a complete contract to Harqual. Where that continent is in its infancy of true civilization, Kanpur is the old hat of civilization. Yes, it still has its trackless wastes, desolate plains, and deep foreboding forests and jungles. But these lands have seen civilizations rise and fall for as long as humanoids have walked upright.

Kanpur is a mixed pot of cultures and races that have bled over into each other in many regions. Only a few regions can claim any sort of isolated history or development. Kanpur is many campaigns.

Kanpur is the Dark Continent filled with savage creatures and noble dark-skinned humanoids, whether human, elf, halfling, or dwarf. Kanpur is the Land of Fate from the Crowded Sea to the Corsair Domains to the grand cities of True Zakhara to the Ruined Kingdoms.

Kanpur is the ancient land of Khemit, with its unique Egyptian-like culture, as well as Keshu and Meroe.

In the west, Kanpur is Athenos, Bluffside, Gwyrdd Hynys, Hjemland, Kungya, Parma, Talangrán, Torassia, and Troj, as well as the Empire of the Dragon Sands. In the east, Kanpur is Indjra, Jez-Haza, Kozakura, Magulia, Shaoyan, Taol, Yadot, and Wa, as well as the Empire on the Sea. Between these extremes are the horse lands of Soguk Col, the mountainous Land of the Yak Folk, and the Haunted Lands bordering the northern reaches of Zakhara.

Travel the ancient lands at your own peril.

Merria
Merria is the newest region I have added to Kulan. Thus, I have very little detail fleshed out. The simplest explanation is that Merria is Pirates of Dark Water on my world. No, I’m not kidding. 

Triadora
While the Fallenlands might be somewhat like Dark Sun in style, Triadora, the second largest continent on Kulan, is somewhat like Dragonlance (eh, not really). More specifically, like the region of Taladas ruled by a race of minotaurs but with a lot of different twists thrown in. Triadora is another of Kulan’s continents, which is dominated by barren terrain – deserts, harsh plains, desolate mountains, and very little water.

The minotaurs, who call themselves the Sons of the Horn (or Horn Minotaurs), rule about half of the continent. An unique race of reptilian humanoids, known as the Xanth, rule roughly another third of the continent. While the two races are always in conflict, neither race is stereotypically evil (although the Xanth are more ruthless) and both have developed a high culture based on trade. (Most believe that is why they don’t like each other each other.)

There are limited trading partners on Triadora and the two races never trust anyone who trades with the other. Thus, over the years they have fought dozens of trade wars both financially and physically. An uneasy peace exists at the moment but it's becoming like a lit powder keg and will soon explode into full-scale war once again.

The other races of Triadora try to survive in between the two powerhouses and try to reap the benefits without getting killed in the process. These races – wemics, lupins, the urik-aa and zebranaurs – tend to be nomadic. The wemics and zebranaurs are tribal and tend to not get along (it’s a predator vs. prey sort of thing). Of all the races on Triadora, the lupin are the most even tempered and are surprisingly loners by nature (no pack culture). Like the other nomadic races, the urik-aa (a race of high orcs), compete for the limited space that the desert provides. However, unlike most of the other races on Triadora the urik-aa respect the fact that the continent was originally home to only the Horn Minotaurs. Only wemics show more respect to the Horn Minotaurs than the urik-aa do.

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Thanks much!

Joshua Dyal said:
Old One; you've got my vote. I'd say yours, and Palaestra (from CleverName, or whatever username he's using these days) and Barsoom (of barsoomcore fame, not Edgar Rice Burroughts fame) are probably the three homebrews from ENWorlders that I have the most interest in. Good stuff.

Joshua,

Thanks for the kind words. I agree that Palaestra and Barsoom are both excellent as well. I am slowly working on a website and thinking seriously about getting some professional mapwork done (ala Destan's map...love that one). One of these days...

~ Old One

LoneWolf23

First Post
"And so it was, that following the Great Cataclysm, that The Lord of Lords cast his judgement upon the Race of Old Man and it's children, and found them wanting. And so He sent his Scourge to shatter Man's golden cities and armies, destroying the mighty devices he had forged in his hubris. And He scattered Man and the other man-races across the face of Titan, and told them to start anew. Thus the great Golden Age ended. Man started civilisation anew, but this time found himself sharing the world with the Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, Giants, Beast-kin and Orcs he himself had crafted in an attempt at equaling the Lord of Lords. And thus he would learn humility by accepting those races as his equal in the eyes of the Lord"
-Book of the Prophet's first revelation, 3;32

"It is the year of the Prophet 1104, and you are Adventurers in the western kingdom of Arbion. In other words, you're mercenaries living outside the feudal system, paied substantial coinage to do jobs outside of the norms: monster-slaying, object retrieval, dealing with "goblin problems", etc. The nobles don't like your independance, but you're useful to them. The peasants fear your power, but you protect them from that which would destroy them. The Church dislikes your heretical beliefs, but you fight the evils it stands against. You're freeman humans, clanless dwarves, homeless elves, upstart beast-kin and redeemed dark-kin."

"You're Adventurers."

That's the basic introduction. The Kingdom of Arbion is a huge Kingdom (more the size of an Empire) divided into a number of Dukedoms. Various races live within the Kingdom: Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Gnomes, Halflings, Orcs (who aren't Evil, just chaotic) and Beast-Kin (Anthro Animals), along with other, more violent races such as the Goblin Races and other Monster Races. Thus far, the setting is mostly High Fantasy, but as soon as I feel confident enough with it, I'm adding Steampunk elements connected to a "Renaissance" going across the world...

Eosin the Red

First Post
I got to thinking about blurbs and descriptions and some of the comments posted on this thread. I think I am gonna have to disagree with the majority vote. Writing a "BLURB" would seem to be critical to any worldmaker. After all, how are you to interest others in your gem? Ask them to read 200 pages? Nope....We need the art of the Blurb for Homebrews. :)

I have redone my own "Blurb" and will post it along with what I originally posted. Comments and critiqes are welcome.

ORIGINAL:
Eosin the Red said:
DEATH has been made flesh by the huburis of semi-divine beings. They fled before the spreading darkness leaving mankind to fend for itself. Two wars have weakend the "wrath of life" or Enwrathi but unless the source of the infection can be found it is only a matter of time until Darkness rises again.

NEW BLURB
Echoes of Glory is a world where fantasy and myth clash in a romantic version of the reign of the barbarian empires (950 to 1100 AD).

In Middea, two dynastic struggles threaten to plunge the kingdom into civil war. The king has disinherited the grandchild of his most powerful vassal, the mighty lord of the Eastern Marches, and Marshall General of the Realm, the Duke of Wingate. The lords of the realm fear madness has gripped the throne, to alienate the defender of the realm while the Eastern Marches are all that stand between the heart of the Realm and the King's half brother, Prince Caras. Amidst the turmoil over the crown, the young Prince Rafn comes of age blessed by the gods of old, within his hands is the power to heal even the most grievously wounded. Some whisper that even death is may not deny his call. The price of Middea’s Glory will be measured in blood and death.

To the West, the mystic Athan Re quietly raise the banners among the Free People. A call to the Glory of what once was and what will be again. The clan leaders speak of the Free People, who once were and who will be so again. Glory among the Free People has faded but it is not forgotten, it is both the Redeemer and the Reaper.

In the Middle Kingdoms, the mighty Vintrian Empire rots while the Defender of Mankind is consumed with efforts to stave off death. The Empire lies fallow, controlled by courtesans who supply the husk of their dying king with potions and magics to extend his existence. In Vintria, Glory is the castrated husk of an empire so self consumed that it does not understand that it has already passed from this world.

In the frozen north, an ancient battle rages in the Fallen Kingdoms. Honor is entombed with the bodies of those who held any, and nobility has been bled from these lands. Here death waits, and all else is a distant dream of the Glory of bygone days.

While men seek personal and national prestige, the fetters of the Adversary have begun to close unseen by a world that has forgotten. Can men endure this, the third and final battle with the Enwrathi? Men who are mere Echoes of the Glory that once was.

...Echoes of Glory….

....………Echoes of Glory…..

I can continue this conversation here or start a new thread on the Art of the Blurb and how all of us homebrewers can refine our own blurbs to make them more appealing.

What say you?

Last edited:

kenjib

First Post
Hi Eosin,

Nice re-write. I can definitely see how the world suddenly becomes much more compelling with the second take. Let me try...

ORIGINAL:
kenjib said:
Haalyr is built around the concept of the transcendental fantastic voyage - from the relatively familiar into the deep unknown and back again, which is a common theme and/or device in literature. The core of the world is an area defined by power struggles between a fading empire and the scavengers who hope to pick up the pieces as it unravels. However, as one travels further from this region, the world becomes stranger and stranger until at the edges of the Dream Seas, the fabric of dreams and realities collides. Those who have been to the edge of reality and returned have come back somehow changed, and with the power to carve out their will upon the fabric of the world.

One potential advantage of this is that it joins together both low and high fantasy, still preserving the wonder of the high fantasy elements since they are distant and mythical.

NEW BLURB:
Haalyr. Like a dream the greatest of all Empires calls back through time and space, a yawning gulf that separates its mysteries from the world of here and now. Fragments seen through a cracked glass reveal only a glimpse, but what secrets do the far reaches of the Dream Seas hold? The glory days of Haalyr are long past now, the great island now lost beneath the waves, swallowed by the dream from which it was born in a mysterious cataclysm which still haunts those daring enough to seek the power that was not meant for mortal hands.

Many empires have come and gone in the West since that time, leaving echoes of their glory scattered and ruined across the land. The might of the last, the Dorian Empire, is now waning and others fight to fill the void even during its dying throes. Yet the Empress does not sit idly by. She is cunning and ambitious. Her son, who has been groomed from birth to lust for the lost glory of Empire, is even more so.

Yet perhaps what they seek is not to be found in the realms of men. In all directions stetch the vast Dream Seas. Countless islands, mostly uncharted, dot the Dream Seas. As one travels out from the mainland, each island becomes stranger than the last until at the edge of the world the very fabric of dreams and reality collides. Few have dared the perilous journey into the farthest reaches, but those who have are never the same again. To stare into the abyss of the dream is to see behind the thin curtain upon which the world is drawn.

And what lies behind the curtain?

Tell me what you dream of. Tell me of your greatest and most glorious aspirations glimpsed in fanciful reverie of a better world. But tell me also of your darkest desires, whispered only in the deepest shadows of denial where nobody can hear. Behind the curtain lies only what you bring with you: The stuff of dreams and the substance of nightmare.

What do you think?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases