Homebrew Worlds- What is in YOUR world?

Eosin the Red

First Post
I'd say this is an experiment that can make all of us a little better and more presentable. I 150% grooved on the second write up but the first left me non-plussed.

I think you can do a little better still with a few changes and I am sure someone with some real writing skill might be able to help both of us even more.....

I will email my suggestions to you tomorrow evening if that is ok?

Beale Knight

First Post
Does it count as Homebrew if it's also available for sale?
If so, check out the links below. If not, then I'll refrain from going on and on like I usually do. :)

Eosin the Red

First Post
Beale Knight said:
Does it count as Homebrew if it's also available for sale?
If so, check out the links below. If not, then I'll refrain from going on and on like I usually do. :)

I read the reviews......Go on and tell us your blurb. You wrote the thing so I think that it kinda fits Homebrew.....we can call it Homebrew all grown up :)

robberbaron

First Post
OK, here's a very brief look at the world I have been using for the last 15 years (heavily modified AD&D1 campaign).

Erth: a world almost devoid of Technology, where Magic works and monsters exist, many thousands of years in the future.

Civilisation had flourished, peaked then fallen into darkness during the Tragic Millennium (which is now only mentioned in passing by ‘learned’ people who know nothing of what actually happened) and slowly dragged itself back to a level approximating that of the 13th Century.

The known world stretches from Granbretan eastward to Xingua and Nihon and south to Suid-Afrik although, during cleanup after a catastrophic meteor strike in the eastern Terraine Sea, large landmasses across the Atlantean Ocean and another to the far south of Xingua have been noted. Also, there have been reports of an island that is sometimes not there. The players suspect that it is beast the size of the Isle of Man, but have not investigated.

Most of the land from Russia to China is a bleak area known as the Chaos Wastes. Scattered settlements of Humans and Humanoids can be found but this cursed region’s population is mostly Beastmen and other minions of Chaos. Several portals to the Eye of Terror exist through which reinforcements arrive and slaves leave. It is known that at least one Demon Prince rules in this realm.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
My world (which still doesn't have a good name), Toria has barely been seen by the unsuspecting D&D public.

It has a secret society of Dragon Knights, an old order in which knight bond with their draconic mounts and try to protect the world from greater threats than most people are aware of (like demon lords, and the like). They're generally distrusted by the populace, simple because it's scary to see a guy with a sword riding around on a dragon.

Toria is a monotheistic world, but only just. A mere 200 years ago came the knowledge of one all-powerful diety. His followers are still trying to gain a foothold, even though it is widely known that those claiming to be clerics of the old gods have no power. Strangely, those who venerated spirits of nature and the elemental forces still have their power, however. (Arcana Unearthed's magic system just happened to fit perfectly with what I had in mind here, since it doesn't have clerics either)

Far to the north, across the sea is a land where dark-skinned elves rule with an iron fist. The Imperial elves have conquered their continent and seem content to stay there. (Think of a Lawful Evil Roman Empire). To most people, these elves are feared and used to scare children like the boogey man (Eat your dinner or the elves will come and take you away!)

Aerilord, a city floating above a lake near the center of the continent (the main one, not the Imperial elf one). Built by powerful mages long ago, it is ruled by a benevolent dragon and is known as the Shining Jewel of the Parsembdan Lake Alliance. It is a major trade hub, as well as a mecca for magical learning.

The Kingdom of Hyrn, ruled by a bitter, old man whose rule has seen better days. His eldest son was recently killed in a battle with the Witch Queen (who also perished, but rose again soon after as the Lich Queen), while his youngest son ran off to frolic in the forest on the southern border of the kingdom (in reality, the youngest son was chosen to become a Dragon Knight, and will be the first of the order to rule anything in over 500 years). The death of his wife and first-born has given King Duncan a tenuous hold on sanity and even now, the forces of the Lich Queen grow more and more threatening.

There's tons more. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it standard D&D oriented or convert the races and some of the history to gel more with Arcana Unearthed. I'm thinking I can have it both ways if I really work hard. I have some rules for racial levels for regular D&D races, but one thing is for sure, there aren't 20 types of elves (at one point there were only the Imperial Elves). Some day I need to go through all my notes and organize it into a publishable format....maybe some third-party D20 company could put into print.

JediSoth

Calico_Jack73

First Post
hong said:
Come to Britannia. It has ninjas!

Ninjas are cool, and by cool I mean totally sweet!!!
If you have ninjas then you've got to have pirates for the ninjas to fight. The two groups are natural enemies much like King Kong and Godzilla. All the ninjas have to carry frisbees around so they can commit sepuku properly.

For all of you who have been living under a rock and don't get this check out http://www.realultimatepower.net/

Gez

First Post
Edhel, which was Erdelane before its sundering, is a land of old secrets, old hatreds, and lost memories. Powerful spirits are embedded in its land, and shape it. Majestic gods live on Rhane, the moon, and priests commune with them at night. In the depth of the world, unspeakable monstruosity work their incomprehensible plots, ignored by surface races, absorbed in endless wars for pride and power. Powerful secret groups, like Prime Order or the Watchers, work to stave off the darkest threats and see what the future yelds, while the cosmos drifft in the alien non-place of the Nihil, and closes slowly from another universe.

Li Shenron

Legend
The three I have DMed, in order from the most used to the least used:

Mäelström
The world I use for most of the adventures. It is a very classic D&D setting.

- geography: it has its own geography but with many locations borrowed from Forgotten Realms and others from some friends' homebrew material; it is not really planned beforehand, but it rather developes in time, every adventure opening to a new area. The most striking feature is that it is actually a planet which almost "rolls" on its orbit (like Uranus, in case someone knows...), which has the consequence of having day/night and seasons only near the equator, while the north is a desert of neverending daylight and summer, and the south is a frozen ocean of eternal darkness

- ecology: contrary to more typical settings, there aren't thousands of different creatures, only about 20-30% of the MM exists (up to now), but I tried to make them important somehow. Humans are the vast majority, demihumans are quite secluded in their own areas, Orcs form a tribal but very solid society (ruthless and with evil tendencies but individuals can be anything), Goblinoids don't have a society but instead mingle with everyone, half-races are more rare than subraces and definitely scattered; some others have made an important appearance with their own society but very limited in number (many giants, centaurs, drow, trolls, rakshasa); all aberrations and ooze are rare and unique creatures created artificially just like constructs (and undead, but they are quite common)

- politics: not very original, more or less there are background rivalries and alliances between feuds and the same happens between Orc tribes; in general there is hostility between humans and Orcs, but not trivial. Other large parties are the druidic society (scattered and ambiguous) and the outsiders (obviously separated between Devils, Demons and Celestials - nothing else yet) who have periodic plans over the world. Several organizations from few individuals to hundreds play a much more relevant role to player's adventures

- religion: in theory I should have developed a well-structured pantheon, but then I ended up allowing players to worship or be cleric of any Greyhawk or FR deities (and even Tyche in one case). It is not clear to the characters how much their divine powers really comes from the deity and how much comes from simply their own faith, but deities often dictates events on earth (this uncertainty has definitely inspired the name I gave to the setting)

- cosmology: the Great Wheel from MotP but 8 of the outer planes are instead alternate material planes, with many variations compared to MotP; anyway I didn't have occasion yet to run a full adventure there, but many are ready to be explored

Nadir
It is a world where evil has won, and gods and celestials have lost their interests and abadoned it...

- geography: basically a single huge continent surrounded by oceans; wildlife has mostly disappeared due to heavy exploitation of the environment, and the sky is always cloudy and darklooking; not much developed yet besides the few starting locations, but many ideas already brewing

- ecology: mostly the continent is dull and repetitive with people living concentrated in a few cities; potentially everything can be met outside those cities, while all races live within in a mixed society

- politics: the idea is of a setting where evil is the normal thing, with lots of challenges for RPing and DMing (imagine you were born in a country where many evil acts are praised while some good acts are forbidden...). This means that about half people is evil and the other half is neutral (but accustomed to evil being the norm), while good people are rare and tend to become PCs ;) . Nevertheless many factions are fervent and this is suppsed to provide lots of intrigue, tyranny, betrayal, scheming etc.

- religion: as I said, deities have abandoned the world and there are no churches; Mystics have either learned what the world used to be before or "feel" how it could become in the future and gain some divine spellcasting, while Earthchilds have a similar connection to what's left of nature

- cosmology: besides transitive planes there is basically nothing else, or rather it doesn't matter what there is because the access is cut for mortals

Note: this setting is something I tried only a very few times and at that moment I used some custom classes instead of the PHB (Commander, Swashbuckler, Warrior, Earthchild, Mystics, Healer, Clairvoyant, Mage, Summoner, Necromancer). It was early times of gaming and they were very bad designed :p

Boadicea (I know, it's a stolen name...)
Very much underdeveloped and tried only for a few evenings, this is a Celtic setting with mostly fairy races (good and evil) and with only 3 classes: Fighter, Rogue and Druid, but somehow customizable - e.g. barbarian's abilities as feats. If we had played enough I would have allowed Bards, Rangers and Paladins (of a deity, any alignment) as PrCls.

- geography: not developed besides the adventure locations, probably very much earthlike

- ecology: MM only with few extras, in any case creatures are selected based on the flavor (e.g. yes to ghosts and bashees, no to zombies and mummies) and are supposed to be always rare, as only PCs really have "adventures"

- politics: for the moment pretty non-important for the PCs

- religion: very many religions (both historical and fantastic) but the approach is like in real life - religion is a matter of belief and doesn't grant powers (given time this might have changed if I allowed Paladins). There are priests but they could be any class and don't have their own. Druids are essentially mages and since they are the only spellcasters there is no distinction between arcane and divine

- cosmology: not developed, but probably at least a heaven and a hell would have been used early or late

blackshirt5

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
No worries, blackshirt. Make sure you check out my World of Kulan Story Hour, as well.

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19144&page=1&pp=25

{EDIT}
BTW, let me know how you plan to use the world. Plus, if you've got comments, suggestions, or questions then send me an e-mail at: rblezard@telusplanet.net

Cheers!

KF72

No problem man; I plan on running games within it as well as using it for inspiration for my homebrew, what else?

I might also use it as an alternate prime material world for my D&D Armageddon game, someplace for my players to travel to and help defend from the Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
blackshirt5 said:
No problem man; I plan on running games within it as well as using it for inspiration for my homebrew, what else?

Cool, here a few IMPORTANT facts about Kulan.

* No native drow, period!
* Gnomes are rare across Kulan. Humans are native to every continent/region except Triadora. Elves and rakasta are native to every continent/region except the Fallenlands and Triadora. Dwarves are native to every continent/region except the Fallenlands, Merria, and Triadora. Halflings are native to every continent/region except Janardun and Triadora.
* The Balance is key on Kulan. Dragons are aligned to the Balance and have very different alignments (at least partially neutral). The World Goddess holds sway over the Balance.
* Kulan has it's own unique cosmology. A diagram is posted at my Yahoo Group.
* Freeport exists southwest of the continent of Harqual, while the Isle of Dread exists south - southeast of Harqual.
* Redhurst exists on Kulan visting many locales such as Freeport, Parma, Bluffside, and Zakhara, as well as several homebrew locales on Harqual and Janardun.
*Cauldron, The Shackled City, exists on Harqual. (The Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path modules.)
* Mor's End, The EN World City Project, exists just south of Cauldron.
* The City of Cyrad on the Fallenlands is the classic D&D module The Lost City (recently updated in Dragon Magazine). These are the only humans on the Fallenlands.
* The Fallenlands have for the better part of 1,000 years been isolated from the rest of the world. Only now is its shore open to the rest of the world. (See my next post.)
* Kanpur is a open book. I have detailed very little beyond the placement of the major regions. Triadora isn't hugely canonized either although its races and 'feel' are clearly defined.

I might also use it as an alternate prime material world for my D&D Armageddon game, someplace for my players to travel to and help defend from the Legions of Hell and Armies of the Abyss.

Interesting that you should mention demons and devils. I really like Sep's 'style' as it pertains to outsiders. I'm planning on creating my own Infernal and Abyssal plots and machinations.

One that already exists is the invasion and corruption of the Knotwood on Harqual. The forest region now teems with demons and corrupted elves now called blood elves.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Remove ads