TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Bulldogc said:
Gary I got another question for u. What was going through your mind when making the crossbow stats? Aside from the monk, there seems to be no reason at all to actually use one when even a sling is better in most respects.

What was going through my mind was mainly historical accounts of weapons. The crossbow was a major weapon for three reasons: they were easy to make, they could be used effectively by troops that had little training, the heavy ones could penetrate even plate armor at close range. Even the heavy crossbow was clearly inferior to the Welsh/English longbow and the heavy composite Eastern bow, and the bamboo (very) longbow of the samurai.

A sling can not be used where a flat trajectory is required, and one employing a sling must have room to swing it. The use of a sling requires a lot of training too, and specially cast tapered broinze missiles for good armor penetration. OTOH, the Incas were dropping armored Conquistadores with their egg-sized stone missiles.

Cheers,
Gary

Bulldogc

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
What was going through my mind was mainly historical accounts of weapons. The crossbow was a major weapon for three reasons: they were easy to make, they could be used effectively by troops that had little training, the heavy ones could penetrate even plate armor at close range. Even the heavy crossbow was clearly inferior to the Welsh/English longbow and the heavy composite Eastern bow, and the bamboo (very) longbow of the samurai.

A sling can not be used where a flat trajectory is required, and one employing a sling must have room to swing it. The use of a sling requires a lot of training too, and specially cast tapered broinze missiles for good armor penetration. OTOH, the Incas were dropping armored Conquistadores with their egg-sized stone missiles.

Cheers,
Gary
ah, yea i guess that makes some sense just a followup to it. can a crossbow be specialy crafted to take advantage of stronger people to increase projectile damage?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Bulldogc said:
ah, yea i guess that makes some sense just a followup to it. can a crossbow be specialy crafted to take advantage of stronger people to increase projectile damage?

Bulldogc,

You aren't the first persn to ask me that question :eek:

As the heavy crossbows were all cranked or otherwise wound to :):):):) them, the answer has to be no. However...

A character with considerable strength (as the DM determines) could probably :):):):) a light crossbow without benefit of the usual lever used, so rate of fire could be increased. A very powerful character might be able to haul the string of a heavy crossbow back with a claw lever, thus firing it as rapidly as a light one.

FWIW,
Gary

PS. If those stupid smiley faces appear another time, they stay. They evidently are a computer generated editing of the word "c*o*c*k" as in what one does to ready a crossbow or firearm for immediate firing. that not to be confused with a male chicken :]

Last edited:

LordHavok

First Post
Greetings and Salutations Col.,

I was wondering something(s). Back in the early years (late 70's-80's), about how long did it take you to develop a typical module? By this I mean concept to production. I realize that sometimes you might have had an idea and it took awhile before it came together but this is all generally speaking. I remember back then it "seemed" like modules were coming out like crazy.

Another ? I had: Gord the Rogue. I remember reading the books years ago and was wondering if that was ever a character that you or someone else actually played? If not, where did you come up with him?

(I know..I know...that's a horrible and typical question to ask any writer. "So how do you come up with your ideas...?.. :D )

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
LordHavok said:
Greetings and Salutations Col.,

I was wondering something(s). Back in the early years (late 70's-80's), about how long did it take you to develop a typical module? By this I mean concept to production. I realize that sometimes you might have had an idea and it took awhile before it came together but this is all generally speaking. I remember back then it "seemed" like modules were coming out like crazy.

Hi LordHavoc,

It took about a week to write B2. The G series I write when taking a break after finishing the MM, so the three were written in a pariod of about a month. Then I did the D series between finishing the PBG and beginning the DMG, about six weeks.

I didn't keep track of production time, but if you figure editing takes about a week per 32-48 printed pages, then layout and art take about a week each, you won't be far off. Printing time can run anywhere from 10 to 30 or more days.

Another ? I had: Gord the Rogue. I remember reading the books years ago and was wondering if that was ever a character that you or someone else actually played? If not, where did you come up with him?

(I know..I know...that's a horrible and typical question to ask any writer. "So how do you come up with your ideas...?.. :D )

I made it all up out of my imagination, pure and simple. The only PCs actualy played in the yarns were Melf, played by my son Luke, and Curly Greenleaf, one of my many characters.

Cheerio,
Gary

Flyspeck23

First Post
Hi Gary,

I hope this doesn't get too personal...
What games are or have you playing regularly? IIRC you play(ed) chess, but what about other games, board or otherwise? Any wargames?
Do you play online? PBEM Chess?
Sorry if this kind of question pops up too often, but I can't find any answers ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flyspeck23 said:
Hi Gary,

I hope this doesn't get too personal...
What games are or have you playing regularly? IIRC you play(ed) chess, but what about other games, board or otherwise? Any wargames?
Do you play online? PBEM Chess?
Sorry if this kind of question pops up too often, but I can't find any answers ;)

Hail Flyspeck!

Don't worry. I won't be offended by personal questions. If they are too personal I'll just ignore them, with ot without comment ;)

I have not played chess for about a year. No opponents around. I also prefer playing shogi these days.

Aside from the usual weekly campaign game of LA that I run--and we are going to alternate those sessions with C&C game ones for a time at least--the usual games played here are: Settlers of Catan, Rail Baron, backgammon, senat, and cribbage. We are talking about adding poker to the mix. When I get a chance I enjoy playing Operation Overlord, but board wargamers are scarce. We haven't played bridge for far too long a time, and I hope to get in some play this spring when some friends return to the area. There are no regular military miniatures groups hereabouts that i know of, anyway, and besides that I am usually working all weekend.

Cheers,
Gary

mystra007

First Post
Obsidian Citadel

Gary,

I was looking for plans/maps of the home of the members of the old Circle of Eight in Greyhawk (mordenkainen, bigby, rary, otto, otiluke, tenser, leomund, nystul, etc...). I did my research on the net and asked a few peoples, but all I found is the house of Bigby in "Treasures of Greyhawk". Then someone told me the best person to ask would be you since those were mainly your characters. I hope I will not offend you with this but I would really like some informations on this or references from published books where I could get some informations about those peoples homes/stronghold maps/traps/information, please :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mystra007 said:
Gary,

I was looking for plans/maps of the home of the members of the old Circle of Eight in Greyhawk (mordenkainen, bigby, rary, otto, otiluke, tenser, leomund, nystul, etc...). I did my research on the net and asked a few peoples, but all I found is the house of Bigby in "Treasures of Greyhawk". Then someone told me the best person to ask would be you since those were mainly your characters. I hope I will not offend you with this but I would really like some informations on this or references from published books where I could get some informations about those peoples homes/stronghold maps/traps/information, please :)

Ho Mystra007,

The Obsidian Citadel was indeed my personal creation as a player. The eight (actually nine) main PCs of mine that occupied it were Mordenkainen, Bigby, Yrag, Rigby, Vram & Vin, Zigby, Felnorith, and Nigby. It was an octagonal castle with eight wall towers and a central keep with much space between the outer wall and the inner works because of the number of troops housed in this fortress. That's about it. I am not going to scan the maps and written text, with banner illustrations;)

Cheers,
Gary

ScottGLXIX

First Post
mystra007 said:
Gary,

Mystra, if you want a little more info on Gary's original Co8, go here: http://doomsdaygames.proboards3.com/index.cgi?board=generalgreyhawk&action=display&num=1080316336
The material was written with Gary's help, and is based on the original incarnation of the group.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases