Gary Gygax Q&A: part VI - Page 4

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore Joseph Elric Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by Devall2000
    Hi, Gary

I noticed a few pages back that you were discussing Castle Zagyg. Will this be the long awaited 3E version of the Castle and ruins? When can we expect it to come out?

thanks,
    Jamie
    Oh I can answer this one It will be written for the New C&C rules coming out from Troll lord games. It will be a boxed set, and Rob will also be releasing material for it as well.
    Ken
    Gygax is to Gaming what Kirby was to comics
    Alas poor Elric I was a thousand times more evil than you
    http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MerricB
    Where did they get the potions of healing, Gary? Were the temples doing a roaring business in them, or were they somewhat common in the dungeons?

Cheers!
    Hi Cirrem...err, I mean Merric (Inside joke from another thread.)

No potions were sold, but I was liberal in distributing them in dungeon chaches and the like. Many a clerical scroll with various healing spells on them as well.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Devall2000,

Ken's answer is basically correct. the system base for Zagyg's Castle will be the new C&C rules from Troll Lord Games. The original spirit of the material can bets be presented in a system that is close of O/AD&D, of course.

I am in process of completing a very large campaign base module for the project, this likely appearing as a boxed set titled Zagyg's Castle, Yggsburgh. The material in this covering the land around a town of some 10,000 inhabitants, the town, various smaller communities, and many encounters (five dungeon-like areas in the lot), adventure hooks for the GM to flesh out. the text covers all manner of background details for the GM, so as to set the area in an existing campaign world, and develop the work through exposition in playby the group adventuring therein. The GM will know the economics, politics, and society completely, can modify it easily and make it hos own.

As soon as that is published, the Trolls will follow up with the second part of the series, Dark Chareau, a module designed by Rob Kuntz that introuces the Mad Archmage laterally by revealing his former domicile, that inhabited before Zagyg became a more-than-human entity.

After the second part is released there will follow about six further modules, each successively detailing Castle Zagyg, its upper works and dungeon levels. This modular presentation also allows for expansion of the dungeons and addition of "side adventures" as was done in our original campaign, examples of such add-ons being like my modules Dungeonland and Isle of the Ape.

In all, we expect to be busy completing this extensive creative project over the next two years.

cheers,
    Gary

Ignore Melan
    Greetings!

Gary, how do you feel about city adventuring? Were cities a central feature in your campaigns, or were they more like places to rest&shop between adventures? Also, did you ever do a writeup of Greyhawk City... And if yes, is there a chance to see it under some other name - like "Dunfalcon City" or such?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Melan
    Greetings!

Gary, how do you feel about city adventuring? Were cities a central feature in your campaigns, or were they more like places to rest&shop between adventures? Also, did you ever do a writeup of Greyhawk City... And if yes, is there a chance to see it under some other name - like "Dunfalcon City" or such?
    About one adventure in 10 was run in a city--Greyhawk or some other. If the PCs were not seeking adventure when there for R&R, bringing it to them was no problem

The original map of Greyhawk city was one sheet of graph paper with colored boxes indicating various places where PC would go--inns & taverns, armorers, money changers & banks, gemners & jewelers, city buildings, guilds, etc. That was expanded to two, then four map sheets, with the thieves' quarter and Rob's Green Dragon Inn shown. I was working on a very large version some 20 years back, but I abandoned it as far too detailed.

No version of the city that I designed has ever been published.

Cheers,
    Gary

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Ignore Derulbaskul
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    LOL! I can relate to the desire to work up from #4 Flower to #1 Flower, but taking that into the realms of supernatural entities is a tile too far
    Heh,
    Gary
    Gary,

I was 13. Does that explain it?

Cheers
    D
    Last edited by Derulbaskul; Friday, 13th February, 2004 at 02:50 PM.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Derulbaskul
    Gary,

I was 13. Does that explain it?

Cheers
    D
    Hi Derulbaskul,

The age sure does. nhot only can I relate through three sons who have been through that early teen sage, but I can recall my own thinking when I was age 13.

BTW, one of the column essays I will be writing soon for the "Up on a Soapbox" feature in Dragon magazine is ablut my son Luke playing D&D at age 12, the problems he had with staying in character and role-playing on the part of the DM (me).

cheers,
    Gary

Gary,

You've said that you and Rob used a sort of "shorthand" format in the key for the Castle Greyhawk dungeons from which you would wing the details. Could you give us an example of what a entry might look like? Since most of us are creating dungeons for our own use instead of publication, I think an example of how a pro does it could teach us a thing or two.

And--let me add to the thanks I expressed before. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a profound impact you and the gang at TSR, as well as Marc Miller and the gang at GDW have had on my life. Since I got my first D&D Basic Set in 1981, role playing games have been the primary fuel of my imagination. The games challenged me to understand them. They suggested books to read. They got me to study history and science (without it being an assignment). They got me to study probability and analyze rules. They inspired creation of game mechanics, characters, worlds. I could go on and on.

The funny thing is that today I'm finding that OD&D and classic Traveller again are appealling to me more than nearly anything else available. (Although the new Conan RPG is calling to me...)

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore T. Foster
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    No version of the city that I designed has ever been published.
    Hi Gary,

First off I've been remiss in thanking you for your kind (and extensive) answers to my previous questions, so I offer my sincere, if belated, thanks now and hope you didn't think I wasn't appreciative of your answers.

But now, onto another question Following up on the answer above (re: Greyhawk City), were the details of the city (including both the map and other sundry details -- street names, building locations, description of the city's walls and gates, sewer system, etc.) provided in the novel City of Hawks (and to a lesser extent in the other Gord books) drawn from your actual game version of the city or were they newly invented (re-invented?) for the purposes of that novel alone? I spent a lot of time and effort combing through those books back in the day gleaning details for use in my own games set in Greyhawk City (as an antidote to the bland bland bland version published by TSR -- talk about disappointment!).

Gratitude and regards,

T. Foster
    "AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which can fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously." - Gary Gygax (DMG, 1979)

"There are people who regard the RPG as something more than an amusing game, more than a most entertaining hobby. They really do need to get a life" - Gary Gygax (EN World, 2004)

The Knights & Knaves Alehouse
    Monsters of Myth

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by RFisher
    Gary,

You've said that you and Rob used a sort of "shorthand" format in the key for the Castle Greyhawk dungeons from which you would wing the details. Could you give us an example of what a entry might look like? Since most of us are creating dungeons for our own use instead of publication, I think an example of how a pro does it could teach us a thing or two.
    Well, RF...

What we used was not 'pro" but simply veteran DM notes to more easily wing the actual action. Traps and "trick" areas were detailed in regards to trigger and damage or result from activating a trick.

Monster encounters looked like this: 12 ORCS, 4 with crossbows, 7-12 gp each, POTION OF HEROISM in hole under water barrel. Will fight until death.

Depending on the party entering their area, the HPs would be set high, or rolled, or set low. Likewise, the orcs might have a spy hole, detect the approaching party, fire through loopholes in the door and wall, or else be sitting around and possibly surprised.

Special encounters might be more detailed, two or three lines of notes.

Whatever was there was just to stimulate the DM's imagination and inspire something that suited the party for good or ill.

And--let me add to the thanks I expressed before. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a profound impact you and the gang at TSR, as well as Marc Miller and the gang at GDW have had on my life. Since I got my first D&D Basic Set in 1981, role playing games have been the primary fuel of my imagination. The games challenged me to understand them. They suggested books to read. They got me to study history and science (without it being an assignment). They got me to study probability and analyze rules. They inspired creation of game mechanics, characters, worlds. I could go on and on.
    Indeed, a lot has come out of the original D&D game

[/QUOTE]The funny thing is that today I'm finding that OD&D and classic Traveller again are appealling to me more than nearly anything else available. (Although the new Conan RPG is calling to me...)[/QUOTE]

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment that textbook rules material.

Cheers,
    Gary

• Closed Thread
    Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast