Looking for mystery/problem solving adventures

Gallo22

First Post
I'm looking for mystery or problem solving adventures perferably based in a city. Any good suggestions out there? Short, medium or long adventures, it does not matter. Thanks.

Gallo22 :)

Y'know what, diaglo? I have to agree with (I believe) Wulf Ratbane: your "Original D&D 4-ever!" attitude is really freakin' annoying. I would ::rolleyes:: at you if I could.

Gallo22: check out this thread for Emiricol's Dungeon magazine index, and do a search on "city" or whatever you want. It's pretty groovy.

The WotC free adventure Road to Oblivion takes place in a city... and a weird one at that... but isn't really a mystery.

And the adventure path module Speaker in Dreams is not only set in a city, it involves a mystery. It does get mixed reviews, however.

I'm sure there are others that I've missed....

Richards

Legend
If "problem solving" outranks "mystery" and "in a city" in your hierarchy of adventure preferences, any of the "Challenge of Champions" adventures from Dungeon may be close to what you're looking for. Each is basically a series of ten puzzles that a team of four PCs tries to solve in an "obstacle course" sort of way. The most recent one ("Challenge of Champions V") is in the current issue, #108. Previous entries were in issues #58, #69, #80, and #91, but note that the first three were written using the AD&D 2nd Edition rules, and the fourth was written under the D&D 3.0 rules. As such, they may need some minor converting.

Johnathan

diaglo

Adventurer
Joshua Randall said:
Y'know what, diaglo? I have to agree with (I believe) Wulf Ratbane: your "Original D&D 4-ever!" attitude is really freakin' annoying. I would ::rolleyes:: at you if I could.

:rolleyes: right back at ya. :p

i don't see you offering much help. i think Gallo22 could find those on his own.

you forgot to mention using Freeport. or how about some of Monte Cook's Ptolus stuff. or maybe visit Kalamar and use their Coin Trilogy series. or the Whispering Woodwind. or even Of Sound Mind by PKitty (i've still yet to find the followup adventure to it)

or perhaps you don't like other material.

i could've included the whole Cities of series for 2edADnD or a ton more modules for 1edADnD like johnsemlak.

i gave an honest answer. they are easily converted to whatever edition Gallo22 prefers.

omnimpotent

First Post
Getting your hands on a copy may be a long shot, but Shadow Over Bogenhafen from the old WFRP system is a swell adventure. It will require more drastic rules conversion than even Diaglo's golden oldies, but it's a sweet adventure.

The Banewarrens has some interesting city scenes and detective work, but there is one heck of a dungeon looming over the adventure. This may or may not work for you and your players if a complete retreat from the dungeon is what you were looking for.

I can think of no one better to recommend forgotten, old school adventures than Diaglo. Most of them sort of stunk, so its invaluable when he can recommend the good ones. I have been looking at an old copy of B4 Lost City, but unsure if I should pick it up, what with the aura of stinkage and all. Now I know that it has Diaglo's seal of approval, I think my path is now clear.

I think we should be nice to Diaglo, or he'll just go back to the thronging hordes at www.diagloworld.org, on the D&D/White Box Messageboards, and leave us behind. How else will we be able to gather at his feet, and learn how you had to carve your own d20's out of soap in the old days, or what it was like to find out about drow the hard way rather than in character creation? Diaglo takes us back to the golden age when men were men, halflings were hobbits, and orcs guarded chests in tiny rooms. Plus, he's been at this 10 years more than me and keeps me from feeling like an old fart.

Gallo22

First Post
Hey everyone. Thank you very much. Some of those I have or know about and the others I'll look into!! Thank you again.

Gallo22 :)

Last edited:

Gallo22

First Post
Actually what I'm doing is "stealing" from the community and I'm going to run a Waterdeep: CSI campaign. My regular players are very up to it and I'm looking for ideas.

Gallo22 ;)

PS: I hope to put up a regular notice of how its going from time to time. Should start in a couple of months.

Remove ads