Ravenloft using Manual of the Planes

Talath

Explorer
Now I'm not a Ravenloft expert, which is why I am posting this. I used Manual of the Planes to do a Ravenloft planar write up. Comments, input, criticisms are welcome. Note, as a Demiplane, Ravenloft is not coexistant with the Astral, Ethereal, or Shadow plane; so spells that use these planes fail. Also, the only way to get in to Ravenloft is by being kidnapped by the mists; can't plane shift or stuff like that. How to get out is anyone's guess.

Ravenloft Traits
Ravenloft has the following traits.

Normal Gravity.

Normal Time.

Finite Size: Ravenloft is a collection of domains pieced together and surrounded by the ocean, islands, and finally the poisonous mists.

Alterably Morphic.

No Elemental or Energy Traits.

Mildly Evil-Aligned: Nonevil characters in Ravenloft suffer a –2 penalty on all Charisma-based checks.

Enhanced Magic: Spells and spell-like abilities with the Evil descriptor are empowered and maximized (as if the Empower Spell and Maximize Spell feats were has been used on them, but the spells don’t require higher-level slots.

Impeded Magic: Spells and spell-like abilities of the Divination school are impeded. These spells and spell-like abilities can be used, but a successful Spellcraft check (DC 15 + level of the spell) must be made to do so. In addition, attempts to divine anyone’s alignment automatically fail.

Last edited:

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Well, I think that the Morphic trait should include the divine--namely the Dark Powers that control Ravenloft (not the Dark Lords, though some of them do have some altering powers).

Also, as much as evil is strong in Ravenloft, there is some punishment aspect to using evil. I'd keep the empowered but drop the maximized. Any version of Ravenloft should keep the negative side of evil spells--the Powers of Ravenloft altering the PC/NPC in some way.

The impeded magic looks good. So does the mildly evil aligned.

Oh, and you should keep access to the ethereal, just severely limit that access. If you don't have access to the Ethereal, then you can't have ghosts. Similarly, you should keep some access to the PLane of Shadow. I think that the Divinely Alterable characteristic can handle preventing people from leaving via any normal Planeshifting abilities.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases