UA Generic Classes--Questions, Comments, NPCs, Prestige?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Here's a question for those of you who happen to have a copy of Unearthed Arcana available, here's something to ponder regarding the 3 Generic Classes presented in the book (Warrior, Expert, & Spellcaster):

First, with the generic class system, would NPC classes exist anymore? I could see the Aristocrat & Commoner NPC classes possibly sticking around, but not the other 3 (w/ Adepts being replaced by Spellcasters, & NPC Warriors & Experts by PC Warriors & Experts).

Along similar lines, what about Prestige Classes? I could see a lot of the core classes from the PHB become some sort of new PrC in games with only thr 3 generic classes as core classes, esp. those with class abilities that couldn't be readily/easily replicated as a sort of feat (rage, wildshape ability, etc.).

Thus, it could be feasible to write up a monk/martial artist PrC that allowed the character to gain such special abilities as a level-based AC bonus, allowing the character's Wis modifier to be added to his/her AC, increased movement, flurry of blows, monk weapon proficiencies, etc. There could also be a divine spellcaster PrC that allowed for the character to select Domains (& gain Domain powers/spells), as well as some other cleric-like benefits.

These PrCs might not exactly cover everything that the old core classes could, but it might be a method to allow some players to obtain soemthing close to one of the archetypal PHB core classes in the 3-generic class system.

Then again, I wonder if it'd be possible to write up feats that would allow such bonuses; perhaps 1 Feat would allow a character to increase his/her Hit Die type to the next higher type (i.e., from a d4 to a d6; from a d6 to a d8; from a d10 to a d12). Or, how about a feat that increases a class's base skill points by 2 (so warriors & spellcasters could go from 2 to 4; experts could go from 6 to 8).

OTOH, what about allowing for Flaws that allow for decreases? One feat could reduce skill points by 2 (an expert would drop from 6 to 4)--however, this flaw would really only be viable for experts. Also, another flaw could reduce a class's Hit Die by 1 (from a d10 to a d8; from a d6 to a d4; & possibly from a d4 to a d3).

These feats & flaws could have a special restriction, limiting them to only be selected by 1st-level characters; they also could be only chosen once, as well.

Well, what do you think? Any comments/opinions/ideas/etc.?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well, as written, the idea is that there are no "Base classes" other than the generic ones (so no other npc or pc base classes). That is sort of the point. It is for DM's who want to simplify.

That said, provision is made for prestige classes on a "do it yourself" basis, since you may have to tweak some prerequisites.

I suppose you could make regular classes into prestige classes, as this was done with the bard, paladin and ranger in a different section of UA. Also, there is a section on flaws that follows your line of argument (each flaw you take gives you an extra feat slot). But the particular flaws you want are not written up.

Similarly, while some class abilities of other classes are made into feats the the generics can take, others are not, but the DM can make extra feats if she so chooses.

So the short answer is, you can do what you want, but ya gotta roll up your sleeves and get into the engine yourself for a lot of it.

Sadly, there are no names for the featured iconic expert, spellcaster and warrior. I suggest the "generic" names Bob, Sarah and Dave. (In honor of the Knights of the Dinner Table).

{Edit} The spelling for the spellcaster should be Sara, not Sarah. Can't believe I missed that one. :)

Last edited:

VirtualWizard

Explorer
Instead of creating new feats for the generic classes, you might want to consider talent trees (a.k.a d20 Modern). Using talent trees, you could recreate many of the other classes without having to create a slew of new feats. To recreate a Barbarian, you would have talent trees for Rage, Damage Reduction, and Dodge. To recreate a Bard like character, you would probably multiclasses as both a warrior and a spellcaster. Also, you would take talents from the Music, Song and Lore talent trees. The actual talents would likely have some prerequistes for the more advanced abilities.

Frostmarrow

First Post
I simply love the idea of generic classes and I think the names; Bob, Sarah and Dave; Particle_Man mentioned are sublime. :cool:

To piff this thread up I'd like to add a picture taken from the Wizard's art gallery:

leaving.asp

It's them right there; Dave by the door, Sarah doing her thing and Bob guarding. Does anyone have any idea as to which class abilities these guys can pick as feats?

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Here is a generic warrior. His name is Clamor and is what you would call a "light fighter":

Clamor: Generic Warrior1; Medium Human (6 ft.1 in. tall); HD1d10+1; hp 11; Init +6 (dex +2, Improved Initiative +4); Spd 30 ft.; AC 15 (+3 studded-leather, +2 dex); Atks +5 melee (1d8+3, masterwork longsword) or +3 ranged (1d4+3, dagger); SV Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +1; Str 16, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8. Skills: Jump +8, Tumble +7. Feats: All simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, shields, Acrobatic, Improved Initiative. Special Features: Sneak Attack +1d6. Note: Add 1 to Jump and Tumble if unarmored.

I'm not sure but I think this is a legal build. What do you think? Too powerful?

Krieg

First Post
VirtualWizard said:
Instead of creating new feats for the generic classes, you might want to consider talent trees (a.k.a d20 Modern). Using talent trees, you could recreate many of the other classes without having to create a slew of new feats. To recreate a Barbarian, you would have talent trees for Rage, Damage Reduction, and Dodge. To recreate a Bard like character, you would probably multiclasses as both a warrior and a spellcaster. Also, you would take talents from the Music, Song and Lore talent trees. The actual talents would likely have some prerequistes for the more advanced abilities.

Malladin's Gate has done exactly that in their DarkLore product, a free preview can be found HERE.

Frostmarrow

First Post
This is fun! Meet Twang - Devout follower of Ehlonna:

Twang: Generic Expert1; Medium Human (5 ft.6in. tall); HD1d6+1; hp 7; Init +2 (dex +2); Spd 30 ft.; AC 15 (studded-leather +3, +2 dex); Atks +1 melee (1d4+1, dagger) or +2 ranged (1d8+1, Mighty Composite Longbow); SV Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3; Str 12, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8. Skills: Disguise +3, Listen +7, Knowledge (religion) +4, Ride +6, Spot +7 Survival +7. Feats: All simple weapons, longbow, light armor, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot. Special Features: Turn Undead.

Oh yes, I forgot. She is a woman.

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
What have we here then? Yes. it's Celsius. An accomplished alchemist with a penchant for temper tantrums to say the least.

Celsius: Generic Spellcaster1; Medium Human (5 ft.10in. tall); HD1d4+1; hp 5; Init +2 (dex +2); Spd 30 ft.; AC 12 (+2 large wooden shield*); Atks -1 melee (1d6-1, quarterstaff) or +0 ranged (1d6, acid flask); SV Fort +1, Ref +0, Will +4; Str 8, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 13. Skills: Craft (Alchemy) +10, Gather Information +5, Knowledge (Arcane) +7, Knowledge (Nature) +7, Spellcraft +7. Feats: Quarterstaff, Skill Focus (Alchemy), Shield. Special Features: Rage. *The shield doubles as a makeshift table. Spells: Celsius casts arcane spells with Intelligence.
0: Acid Splash, Light, Mage Hand, Read Magic
1: Cure Light Wounds, True Strike

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
So that was it. I'm not sure if you actually could pick Sneak Attack, Turn Undead or Rage for the generics but still it shows what can be made with them.

I had the most fun doing Clamor and Twang as they delved into unfamilliar territory. Celsius on the other hand I experienced as more of a step back. All in all a good option for a low magic campaign of some kind. I'm still psyched about the generics and I can't wait to go pester my DM:s about it.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Frostmarrow said:
leaving.asp

It's them right there; Dave by the door, Sarah doing her thing and Bob guarding. Does anyone have any idea as to which class abilities these guys can pick as feats?

Wait! Bob is the one by the door! Dave is the one guarding! :) (If we are doing the tribute to Kodt, Dave is the hacknslasher and Bob is the traps and doors guy. Although Bob is pretty bloodthirsty too.)

I like the generics. I was thinking of using these (w/o multi-classing), the injury rules, and maybe the "three free metamagics/day" rules from the spell point system (without the spell points).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases