[OT] [CPU] Gothic

Al

First Post
In short, is it worthwhile buying the game Gothic?

I've read lots of reviews that say it's quite good, very intensive on RP (as opposed to hacknslash) but that the interface is clunky. It generally gets around 8/10.

But, good sirs, in your opinions, is it worth purchasing? Bear in mind my favourite game of all time was Planescape: Torment, and my least favourite CRPG was Icewind Dale.

Grendel

First Post
I downloaded and played the demo
looked ok, but interface is super clunky and difficult to customize (rudimentry adjustments at best).

I think i will be saving my money for Dungeon Siege, which comes out on April 5. Had the oppertunity to beta it, and it is far superiour. mostly hack and slash, but with a little more story interaction that the diablos.

Psionicist

Explorer
Yet again, what does the CPU have to do with a computer game? Write [Computers] or [Games] instead.

THIS is a CPU (Athlon XP, AMD's newest. Pentium 4 looks prety much the same except that the core (the thing in the middle) is much much larger):
1.jpg

The real life size is a around 2x2 - 2.5x2.5 inches. It's a pain in the ass to unlock those (the locked ones)

Last edited:

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Psionicist said:
THIS is a CPU (Athlon XP, AMD's newest. Pentium 4 looks prety much the same except that the core (the thing in the middle) is much much larger):
1.jpg

The real life size is a around 2x2 - 2.5x2.5 inches. It's a pain in the ass to unlock those (the locked ones)
Huh? Since when was a hammer a CPU (aside from the 64-bit CPUs that AMD is working on)?

Yeah, I've thought about unlocking my XP 1800+, but those holes are TINY!

BTW, I really like your sig.

--OT Spikey

Maerdwyn

First Post
I really liked Gothic - It's definitely more on the Planescape: Torment end of the spectrum than the Icewind Dale end. (BTW, my assessment of those two games was precisely the same as yours.)

The story is good, and the NPCs are interesting (theay also move around, and look up when you approach, which is a nice touch). I liked the non-linear aspect of the quests in the first 2/3 of the game as opposed to the more linear final third, but even thesequests are a bit less linear than, say, Diablo 2, and they can be completed either through combat or sneaking about, depending on your character type. I liked that lying in certain situations or killing people had consequences, and that pretty much every are of the game was open to you right from the start, whether you are ready for them or not. I also liked the option of joining whichever camp fit with the personality I decided to play with my character, and having that choice have actual repurcussions on the skill tree that opened up, spells available, etc.

I did not like the interface (especially the inventory management - you can't type in the amount of currency you want to spend. You are restricted to arrow keys that advance quantities 1 at a time. Armor costs over 1000 ore...), but got used to it, and am now quite comfortable with it. I did not like that there are only about 5 female characters in the game, and that you can't speak to ANY of them at least in in the English version. Women, it seems, are not very important in the world of Gothic.

Gothic has quite a bit of gameplay, despite it only being a single player game. The game also has some replay value, as there are different strategies for character building that will affect how you tackle the game (though I'm told the end is the same no matter what). The graphics are very good, and the voice acting is pretty good as well. The music is adequate.

While not as good as Planescape, IMHO, Gothic is quite good, and worth the purchase price.

Psionicist

Explorer
SpikeyFreak said:
Huh? Since when was a hammer a CPU (aside from the 64-bit CPUs that AMD is working on)?

Yeah, I've thought about unlocking my XP 1800+, but those holes are TINY!

BTW, I really like your sig.

--OT Spikey

And where did I mention hammer?

The picture is an Athlon XP 2100+ with the Palomino core. The Athlon XPs faster than 2200+ features the Thoroughbred core (released yesterday). 462 pins architecture

The next generation Hammers (Clawhammer and Sledgehammer) have 700 something and 900 something pins.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020227/images/9.jpg for xHammer pictures

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases