D&D 3E/3.5 [Kulan] The Lands of Harqual (Updated: Feb 3/2022)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Dog_Moon2003 said:
Yeah, I checked those out a couple of days ago, though I'm not sure why I've waited to post this. Anyway, those maps are impressive. The amount of detail and the number of them is staggering.
Yes, I'm all about my maps. Creating them helps me flesh out the world more in my mind, as well as come up with new ideas and locales. Now I just need to start digging in and create some 3.5e adventures for Kulan.

Dog_Moon2003 said:
I don't necessarily like the program that was used to make them (though I haven't seen any map creators which meet my high expectations since I like making them by hand and squeezing in so many details-this is me, not you, so please don't take offense :) ).
I don't take offense when people say they don't like Campaign Cartographer, as much as I do. In truth the program has much more functionality than I use. Take a look at the example maps on the ProFantasy Software Website. Here's a real good example: Search the ProFantasy map library

They also have several other programs such as the add-ons for Campaign Cartographer, as well as Fractal Terrains. Here's an excellent FT map: Search the ProFantasy map library

Dog_Moon2003 said:
Do you have any organizations of your world detailed? The post which talked about making them is three months old...
I haven't had a chance to start detailing those yet. I've been doing writing for Silverthorne Games, as well as dealing with Real LifeTM issues. Plus, my other spare time has lead to a mapping stretch over the last couple of weeks.

Truth be told, I let this thread fall off the first page for about a month and a half. I needed to recharge my energy and spend some time doing other things. I'll likely get back into posting more on this thread in next couple of weeks, life withstanding.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
First organization writeup!

ANGLE’S EDGE THIEVES’ GUILD
Symbol: A silver dagger pointing up in front of an inverted black triangle.

Purpose
To find old relics of the North Gods, protect hidden holy places from those that would defile them, and help maintain fairness in the kingdoms and city-states across the continent of Harqual. As a guild of rogues, this group often has the ear of the streets.

Leader: High Guildmaster Vhinn Bakersson [NG human male, Rog8/Clr7 (Kuil)]

Current Activities
The Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild was initially sponsored by the Church of Kuil to procure relics of the North Gods lost or stolen from the members of the pantheons other churches. The guild will use any means possible to recover such items, including theft, bribery, magic, and if called for, assassination. Once the guild has procured a relic, they will protect it at any cost until it can be returned to where it was taken from. The guild also then takes measures to ensure that the item isn’t stolen again by setting traps and magical protections – usually incredibly powerful illusions.

The guild is also called on to travel across the continent of Harqual to find old, hidden shrines and temples once dedicated to the Dead Gods who were once members of the pantheon. They are responsible for protecting such places and, if possible, restoring them in the name of the North Gods. Guild members can be called upon by their church or by an allied church to help protect a particularly important location from intruders, tomb raiders, and black hearted villains wishing to defile such places.

This guild of rogues is also the eyes and ears of the Churches of the North gods throughout all of Harqual, but especially in the region known as the Eastern Shores. It members seem to act and behave just as simple thieves but the truth is that is more to them then most commoners realize. They act as a powerful information and spying network against the vile followers of the Sword Gods, as well as those Interloper and World Gods trying to undermine the tenets of all that is good. When they steal, it is from enemies of the North Gods. They have little tolerance for strict lawful societies, even those tempered by good. Yet, in all good societies they follow the laws of the land and work as shadowy vigilantes. They set up evil to be wiped out by local law enforcement if they cannot handle a problem themselves.

Campaign Notes
The Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild came into existence out of the Kingdom of Stonn and its members are completely loyal to Kuil, North God of Rogues and Illusion. The guild is one of the oldest in existence and has guild houses in every major city throughout the Eastern Shores. They also have a strong presence throughout the Thunder Lands, many of the islands of the Karmine Sea, and Arkhangel & the Kingdom of Navirosov. (In Navirosov, they are an actual extension of the more traditional law structure.)

They are rare in the western reaches of the Southern Heartlands and very rare in lands of the Northern Heartlands and Ragik Peninsula. They are now expanding into the region known as the Bulge and the Relaini Bay Region having guild houses in the following cities – Hellekan, Osebye, Relaini City, Selquin, and Tullea. The guild is nearly unheard of anywhere else.

The guild’s main guild hour is located in Stonn City. The guild house is one of the city’s best kept secrets. In recent years, the guild has gone through a resurgence, due to the views and values of Queen Amila, a devoted follower of Inanna, North Goddess of War. She relies heavily on the guild for information about the current activities of her enemies, especially the troop movements of the Kingdom of Thallin. The High Guildmaster of Stonn, Vhinn Bakersson, is one of the few people in the kingdom who has met Queen Amila face to face.

Due to the many evil edicts passed by Thallin’s new King, Varath Dragonguard, the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild has fallen on hard times in that kingdom. Many of its members have been found out, put on trial, and executed without any real chance for justice. This has driven the guild underground and many of its allies out of the kingdom (i.e. Tiger Guild, Bard’s College, and the College of Wizardry). The Angle’s Edge is one of the few forces of good, in Thallin, still working for the people and protecting sacred places of the North Gods.

Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild.png

Last edited:

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Let me just say something: WOW!

I have never seen as much detail to the races of a fantasy campaign as I see here. It is quite impressive. You must be very proud of your work, I know I would be (and I am proud of the work I have done).

Question: Any chance seeing all of this info tied into a nice little pdf that we can download?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I'm glad you've started creating groups. I will be doing that shortly for my campaign, though I'll prolly be looking more at PrC in various books and trying to tie them in with a group to give them a little bit more play value. Anyway, one thing I had thought of when creating groups was initiation. Some groups could be simple, like the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild accepts any rogues who wish to go treasure hunting, for example, while some have more difficult initiations, like to enter the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild, you would need to procure a valuable item and give it to them or something like that.

One more suggestion, this one prolly much easier to think of: General alignment. Example, in the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild, how far are they willing to go to get an item. As you said, they'd even go as far as assassinations, but though generally thought of as an evil act, I could see a King generally thought of as a good-aligned person sending an assassin after an evil King of the neighboring Kingdom to prevent a war from breaking out and killing tens of thousands. Oops, missed the last line where it said the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild is good...

Don't know if I've babbled too much or if my thoughts can be used or not, but those things I think could be useful. I guess it partly depends on how much detail you want.

Keep up the good work. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Dog_Moon2003 said:
I'm glad you've started creating groups. I will be doing that shortly for my campaign, though I'll prolly be looking more at PrC in various books and trying to tie them in with a group to give them a little bit more play value. Anyway, one thing I had thought of when creating groups was initiation. Some groups could be simple, like the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild accepts any rogues who wish to go treasure hunting, for example, while some have more difficult initiations, like to enter the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild, you would need to procure a valuable item and give it to them or something like that.
In reality, many of the groups I'm writing up are already pretty detailed, just in my head. It takes some work to write them out. It's a good idea though, because it take you places you hadn't considered before.

Case in point, I've never had a reason why the Angle's Edge Thieves' Guild is called that. But now I can say its because the guild became famous for it's Angle's Edge trap, used to protect holy places of the North Gods. How that trap works, I haven't considered yet.

Anyway, you get the point.

Dog_Moon2003 said:
One more suggestion, this one prolly much easier to think of: General alignment. Example, in the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild, how far are they willing to go to get an item. As you said, they'd even go as far as assassinations, but though generally thought of as an evil act, I could see a King generally thought of as a good-aligned person sending an assassin after an evil King of the neighboring Kingdom to prevent a war from breaking out and killing tens of thousands. Oops, missed the last line where it said the Angle’s Edge Thieves’ Guild is good...
I've already considered putting a Alignment section in the writeup and have rejected it. Yes, I did note that the guild is mainly a good-aligned group, but I don't want to straight-jacket the organization. After all, the guild does have assassins, just not evil ones. Thus, the DMG Assassin PrC doesn't fit with the guild. I do have Player's Advantage: Rogue from MEG and I can easily see the guilds members having levels in the Nanala Class, the Spy NPC Class, and the Shadow Lord PrC, from that book, as well as the Shadowdancer PrC from the DMG.

Dog_Moon2003 said:
Don't know if I've babbled too much or if my thoughts can be used or not, but those things I think could be useful. I guess it partly depends on how much detail you want.

Keep up the good work. :)
Don't worry about it. Feel free to comment on anything I post. I'm always looking for new insights into world creation and what people think of my work. It makes me a better writer and game designer, as well as helping me get past some creative blocks.

After all, the thread's title does say opinions and suggestions welcome.

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Let me just say something: WOW!

I have never seen as much detail to the races of a fantasy campaign as I see here. It is quite impressive. You must be very proud of your work, I know I would be (and I am proud of the work I have done).

Question: Any chance seeing all of this info tied into a nice little pdf that we can download?

NOTE [Nov 10/2010]: When things went bad for Rev on EN World, I got really pissed at him. I blocked him (and his alts), and I even went so far as to delete my replies to his queries on this thread and others.

The anger has passed, and I've decided to unblock his "Reveille" username (but not his alts). However, I don't have any way to retrieve what I had previously written in response. Therefore, you'll notice several of his posts without much any detailed replies.

KF

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by Knightfall1972
I've already considered putting a Alignment section in the writeup and have rejected it. Yes, I did note that the guild is mainly a good-aligned group, but I don't want to straight-jacket the organization. After all, the guild does have assassins, just not evil ones.

I completely understand about not straight-jacketing the organization. I just meant something in a general idea. Like 'This guild LEANS toward LE' or something like that. Of course there will be exceptions (there are good drow, angels fall to evil, etc) as there are always exceptions. If none of the alignments are a great deal more numerous than any number, then that's great too.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think I meant that by setting an alignment, that guild HAD to be that alignment, like as strict as the LG alignment for Paladins (though even the Paladin now has CG, NG, CE, and LE variants). You still might not decide to put in alignment, but I just wanted to make sure what I said wasn't taken the wrong way.

Originally posted by Knightfall1972
Thus, the DMG Assassin PrC doesn't fit with the guild. I do have Player's Advantage: Rogue from MEG and I can easily see the guilds members having levels in the Nanala Class, the Spy NPC Class, and the Shadow Lord PrC, from that book, as well as the Shadowdancer PrC from the DMG.

There's a good equiv. of the assassin the Book of Exalted Deeds. Slayer of Domiel, I think it is.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
A Note About This Post and Why it Keeps Changing...

Update: June 22, 2008
The Eversinki gazetteer entry, which was posted here, is going to be reworked and posted again later. The entry "felt" a little "orphaned" to me posted at this point in the thread, so I've decided to move it.

I don't know why this one spot irks me so much, but I just don't like it. So, therefore, it will remain "as I type it now" as a reminder to not be so anal about filling in every blank post.

Anyway, the updated entry will most likely be posted at the end of thread, but I am also planning to insert several gazetteer entries in place of the Non-Deities, which will eventually get moved over to my Mirrored Cosmology thread.)

Cheers!

KF72

Last edited:

Remove ads