Master of Orion or Else?

MarauderX

Explorer
I had investigated Master of Orion III over at Gamespot.com for my nephew and I and they gave a rating of 6/10... not so good. Are there any other space-type turn-based strategy games out there that would be better, or is Master of Orion III really better than what the critics think?

Thanks -
~MX

ShadowX

First Post
Galactic Civilizations is the only game that has recently come out that is any good. Otherwise MOO2 and Star Control 2 are always classics.

Lizard

Explorer
MarauderX said:
I had investigated Master of Orion III over at Gamespot.com for my nephew and I and they gave a rating of 6/10... not so good. Are there any other space-type turn-based strategy games out there that would be better, or is Master of Orion III really better than what the critics think?

Thanks -
~MX

If graphical 'flash' isn't important, check out Space Empires IV from Malfador press. (www.malfador.com)

Sir Whiskers

First Post
Lizard said:
If graphical 'flash' isn't important, check out Space Empires IV from Malfador press. (www.malfador.com)

Agree 100%. The graphics are only acceptable, but the gameplay is truly addictive. The best part is the number of mods available - my current favorite is Devnull, with a few changes of my own. If you like 4X games, you have to get this one.

tmaaas

First Post
Master of Orion III (post-patch) is a pretty good game, but it is very niche. It is different from all other "4x" games that I've heard about. If you're looking for something very different, you might give it a try. But if you want an advanced MOO2, you should look elsewhere.

I haven't played Galactic Civilizations, but it's gotten some good buzz.

MarauderX

Explorer
hmmm... just played a bit of the demo for Galactic Civ and although it's pretty easy, the graphics and layout seem a bit, well, lacking. , but I thought it would be better. Perhaps from having a PS2, Star Wars, and Warcraft 3 that my nephew & I are too jaded to give it a try just yet.

Any other 4X games that you would recommend? It doesn't have to be space-related any longer, just good.

Wycen

Explorer
Let's see. My first Moo3 game was about 400 turns before I started over. I then played over 700 turns of my next game before not caring anymore. At one point I was at war with all the 5 other races I had encountered and was winning. I know they ramped up the aggression level in patches, but frankly, the game should be called Master of Spread Sheets.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases