Shemeska's Planescape Storyhour (Updated 29 Jan 2014)

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Shemeska said:
It's been in the works for some time. I had all of the raw text up to a point compiled as a trio of word .docs, and I had help in handling breaks between updates, some text formatting issues, and the use of phbb code within some of the text which wouldn't do the same thing in a pdf and needed to be gutted and then manually formatted back to look right....However life has really gotten in the way and I haven't touched it for months now. For instance, tonight I just back from work after 12 hours in my lab. Fun but taxing.
I know what you're talking about. And you have it relatively easy since you started with a small number of word processor documents. If I weren't already in the midst of editing/formating/and publishing the work of an acquiantance of mine I'd offer. I had to consolidate and reformat 37 separate files in a mixture of html, rtf, doc, and others with over 2500 pages of total text. Only now are they finally getting to the publishing service, but all the early work I put in on the consolidation and editing has really paid off in the final formating stage.

Tal Rasha

Explorer
Shemeska said:
In the meantime though, if anyone cares to speculate on either of those questions, I'm really curious to see what folks think.

Really? Aren't you worried that someone will have a flash of insight and spoil your story line? For example, I recently found some plot hooks buried deep in Planewalker that have some eerie familiarity to your story. Pity the server is down though.

Anyway, it's been a while since I last reread the thread, I could give it a try. :D

Shemeska

Adventurer
Tal Rasha said:
Really? Aren't you worried that someone will have a flash of insight and spoil your story line? For example, I recently found some plot hooks buried deep in Planewalker that have some eerie familiarity to your story. Pity the server is down though.

Anyway, it's been a while since I last reread the thread, I could give it a try. :D

I'm curious what folks are thinking and where they see the plot going.
shemmysmile.gif

Flame_Drake

First Post
From the Baern cycle, I'm thinking that the Ebon isn't an out and out Baern, but something equally powerful. Its clear to me that he is not simply a powerful arcanaloth, although I have no idea why he takes that form. He seems big on change as opposed to stagnation, so perhaps it is simple change from the most powerful form being that of the ultroloth. [Tangent] In a way, he almost seems to be like Leto II, God - Emperor of Dune[/Tangent]. His form when he is speaking to Mydianchlarus, his guise harkens back to that of the Ineffable, so although we haven't seen him in Baern form, he definitely has a connection to them. It just seems too simple that he would be a Baern, but all evidence points to that. I'm positive that he is not one of the Demented and does indeed think that they have lost their way given how he reacts when called mother/father.

I'm thinking that we're going have the first real face to face with a Baern sometime soon, and that the path that leads to the Oblivion Clock is also going to come to light before the party returns to Sigil.

Drake

Shemeska

Adventurer
Spoiler about upcoming PC / baern encounters:
[sblock] Daru ib Shamiq is the first baernaloth the PCs will directly encounter [/sblock]

Shemeska

Adventurer
darkhall-nestor said:
is there a good source or glossary for all things loth and demonic
as i often find myself lost when reading this story hour

which is quite good by the way

Planewalker.com's Encyclopedia of the Planes is a pretty snazzy resource. The wikipedia list on demonlords is pretty good as well (but the 'loth article on wiki is in need of either improvement or euthanasia).

Depending on what's being talked about in the SH, much of it is spun around stuff already extant in the planescape/D&D planes. A quick read of the PDFs of the 2e Planescape stuff will cover much of it, and it's rather cost effective too.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Just a note to folks: I'm still alive, and I'll be returning to a semi-regular update schedule shortly. I just finished a second round of freelance work, and I'm no longer regularly on-call with my job (yay lateral promotion). Next update is about 50% done.

Remove ads