Call of Cthulhu

LGodamus

First Post
fun ....if you dont go into it expecting to whip down the baddies like you do in a d&d game......with with mood lighting and music..and the right GM it can be a blast

DanielJ

First Post
LGodamus said:
fun ....if you dont go into it expecting to whip down the baddies like you do in a d&d game......with with mood lighting and music..and the right GM it can be a blast

do you need the dnd phb to play?

either way i'm ordering the book tomorrow and will run a game.
perhaps online if there is interest.
Ive played the Classic 5.6 call of cthulhu before.
And i already know the d20 system quite well.
Thanks to kalanyr in his highschool dm days.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Nope you don't need the D&D PHB - CoC is self contained.

The game is a lot of fun, just remember that unlike D&D the critters are often more than a match for the PCs...

The Auld Grump - Old CoC riddle: How many investigators does it take to change a lightbulb?
Answer (Pick one):
All of them - don't split up the party!
What, go out there? In the dark?!!!
Three - One to change the lightbulb, one to hold the ladder, the third to keep watch with the shotgun!

Matafuego

Explorer
I've played the Chaosium version of CoC and it was great!
Although I could never DM it, I would love to...
Does anybody know any good modules for the old CoC?

Calico_Jack73

First Post
I honestly never saw a reason to pick up the D20 version. The Chaosium version is perfect in my opinion and the system is easy to learn even for new roleplayers (almost everything is percentage dice based). The characters are so physically weak compared to the creatures of the Cthulhu mythos that they won't even consider sticking around and fighting. The D20's incorporation of D&D's hit point system makes high level PC's actually consider it when in a good horror game that should NEVER be an option (or at least a suicidal option).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
CoC is a fantastic game. It isn't unusual for everyone to die, and it's not necessarily about winning; it's about survivingand going insane with style. I highly recommend it.

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I play both the d20 and the BRP versions of the game. I like them both a lot, but they have different flavors. I think, either because of the "D&D" effect, or just because of the freewheelingness of the mechanics, the d20 version encourages a more adventurous type of game, whereas the BRP version makes the characters feel much more ordinary.

Remove ads