Ledded's Story Hour Miniatures thread- UPDATED Feb 25 Zeppelin Pictures

What kinds of pics from our table would you like to see more of?

• More detailed miniature pics

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • More detailed building/vehicle/terrain pics

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • More custom terrain big table 'builds' for a specific game scene

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • What are miniatures?

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Bah! Who cares, quit wasting server space with this drivel!

Votes: 0 0.0%

ledded

Herder of monkies
Okay, here are the first few from our gaming table that correspond to my WWII-Superhero story hour. In the future there will be some more, plus I will post up some pics from other games we've done (like the Medallions Story Hour). There are a couple of pics appropriate for the story hour of a german WWII rocket halftrack that I just liked.

Oh, in the first set, some of the vehicles are as yet unfinished, but I used them anyway. I have since done more work on them and future vehicle pics will reflect that.

Attachments

• scene2.jpg
    scene2.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 451
  • scene3.jpg
    scene3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 314
  • Scene1.jpg
    Scene1.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 366
  • sdkfz251wurfrahmen.jpg
    sdkfz251wurfrahmen.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 296
  • NeberWerfersFiring.jpg
    NeberWerfersFiring.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

fenzer

Librarian, Geologist, and Referee
Great stuff, Ledded! Man that is a big battle mat. It looks modular as do the roads. Are they custom?

I have been thinking of using sectional maps. We've been using the same battle mat for almost 4 years now. Sometimes it is just too big.

Tell me honestly, does all that terrain get in the way. For Warhammer it makes sense but for rollplaying it seems to me it would be more of a hinderance than an aid. Don't get me wrong m-y man, seeing a table all decked out like that gives me the chills. I love that stuff. However, everytime I try to use props, even small ones, they get knocked over, it's hard to move around them without bumping them, rooms and hallways get messed up, you get the idea. Does any of that happen in your game? Would combat go faster in a 2D realm vs a 3D one? What about setup. At first glance it would appear the map is not one that can be moved quickly. When it's time to move on to the next scene, how do you do it?

In my group, we are a lazy bunch and once we're done with a room, hall, or section of terrain, we erase it and draw the next enviornment. Quick and dirty, it is nothing compared to what you have put together Ledded. It does get the job done however.

In any case, it is an inspiring scene. Thank you for putting it all together. I assure you, it is not lost on me.

And a suggestion, if you don't mind? Include some mug shots of you and the group. I'd love to see ya'll.

ledded

Herder of monkies
fenzer said:
Great stuff, Ledded! Man that is a big battle mat. It looks modular as do the roads. Are they custom?
Yup. Made 'em all myself. Made most of the trees too, though several in the pics I got from the dollar store's Christmas diorama section really cheap. The buildings are some plastic ones I slapped some paint on once upon a time, and are not as nice as my newer stone stuff or the very cool Hirst Arts stuff that Pierce and Fludogg painstakingly make.

EDIT: I have to also toss props to Fludogg for helping me with the very annoying process of cutting the white edges off of the custom printed tiles and then glueing them down to foamcore straight. Or at least fairly straight :).

fenzer said:
I have been thinking of using sectional maps. We've been using the same battle mat for almost 4 years now. Sometimes it is just too big

Tell me honestly, does all that terrain get in the way. For Warhammer it makes sense but for rollplaying it seems to me it would be more of a hinderance than an aid. Don't get me wrong m-y man, seeing a table all decked out like that gives me the chills. I love that stuff. However, everytime I try to use props, even small ones, they get knocked over, it's hard to move around them without bumping them, rooms and hallways get messed up, you get the idea. Does any of that happen in your game? Would combat go faster in a 2D realm vs a 3D one? What about setup. At first glance it would appear the map is not one that can be moved quickly. When it's time to move on to the next scene, how do you do it?
No, it speeds *everything* up while giving us a nice area. And how dare you use the "W" word with me! :D Notice the preprinted grid squares? The whole thing (both tables worth... that's 2 tables of stuff) is mounted on pieces of foamcore, so it picks up and stacks easy. The opposite side has a totally different pattern (that's the "grass" side, the other side is stone). We dont have too much problem with props getting knocked over, as long as Eyas hasnt been drinking too much :). We weight a lot of our stuff, and a lot of our props (not visible) are relatively heavy hydrostone, resin, wood, etc. And we use a bunch of Master Maze too. The roads are printed onto 110lb heavy card so they can be dropped and moved easily; I have other tile types to use when necessary. Fludogg has shelves all over the place within easy reach of the table and we sort stuff out into appropriate areas.

Our combats go pretty fast (faster than the old drawn ones, because we dont argue over stuff we cant see), and we *always* have line-of-sight and movement very easily determined. It's geeky but fun to squat down and look over your mini's shoulder out of a third storey window and be able to look at the GM and say "Yup, that mook has 50% cover".

fenzer said:
In my group, we are a lazy bunch and once we're done with a room, hall, or section of terrain, we erase it and draw the next enviornment. Quick and dirty, it is nothing compared to what you have put together Ledded. It does get the job done however.
You would be *amazed* at how fast we can set up and take down a scene, everybody gets into building a fun scene. Plus, unless the scene is large, we can build *several* at once without having to take them down (that's one large card table and a foldout table that we play on). Works great if we have to split the party and they are having small scenes.

fenzer said:
In any case, it is an inspiring scene. Thank you for putting it all together. I assure you, it is not lost on me.

And a suggestion, if you don't mind? Include some mug shots of you and the group. I'd love to see ya'll.
Thanks.

I might do that one day, I've snapped a few funny pics here and there of various members of the group, though I'll probably have to get some kind of signed statements from everyone ;^)

Last edited:

Eyas

First Post
ledded said:
We dont have too much problem with props getting knocked over, as long as Eyas hasnt been drinking too much :).

Hey, it has nothing to do with drinking, most of the time, just an unfortunate tendancy to be a complete clutz :D

ledded said:
Our combats go pretty fast (faster than the old drawn ones, because we dont argue over stuff we cant see),

Yeah, OldDrewId is still trying to explain that "bowl" that would not fill up with water thing to me ;)

Last edited:

kengar

First Post
Very cool stuff! I don't have any modern-era scenery or minis myself, but I like the looks of your set-up a lot. :)

Fenzer, I'll second the opinion that the "tac" as my group calls it (short for "tactical layout") speeds things up. We've used the chessex mat & markers for years and that works great. The last several sessions, I've been introducing more 3-D scenery and more minis and it not only make people's turns move faster because it's clearer where everything is, it brings a great element to our games by making the scene "come alive."

I don't like to tac out every room or inch of a journey, it's better to let the players use their imaginations for that, but when a combat starts, a tactical is a must for my game.

Old Drew Id

First Post
Fenzer,
I think part of why it works so well for us is that we have been playing now with the same crew for going on four years, and we all know where everything goes and how to work together to put a scene together quickly. Plus, we don't try, in most cases, to follow a pre-defined map. What I mean is, here is how we work:

The DM decides a particular scene might call for combat, or a chase, or in some other way decides that getting out the minis might be a good idea. Every now and then, we set up a scene and then don't even need it, which is good, because that way the players do not get any warning that combat is about to start just because we set up a scene.

When the DM calls for a scene, he gives a one-line description of what he wants. Usually, something like, "We need a couple of city blocks" or "We need a park". Then we all just start grabbing terrain. If you look closely in the third picture at the top of this thread, you can see a couple of our shelves. The top left of that image shows the "buildings" bookcases. The top center (under the computer monitor) shows the shelves for the custom terrain tiles or card-stock pieces, which includes everything from dirt tiles to ocean tiles to grass, snow, etc. On the right, you can see one of several mini shelves where the miniatures are organized. What you can not see are the shelves devoted to vehicles, the other shelves devoted to minis, and the various other boxes of terrain pieces (like trees, street signs, light poles, furniture, debris, etc.) scattered about the room.

So, everyone just starts grabbing bits and putting them into place on the table, based on what they think looks interesting. For instance, in the city block scene, we may just all put up some buildings and cars. But someone may decide to put in a little playground in one corner, or someone else may put up a used car lot in another corner. These additions may not affect the scene at all, or later they might be critical, such as in case they need to steal a car or an enemy runs over to the playground to take a kid hostage. Now, these parts of the scene were never necessarily intended by the DM, but they can sometimes add a great bit of drama or action to a scene. And even with a scene like the ones you see above, they probably only took something like 3 to 5 minutes to put together, tops.

The key to this is that, in most cases, we do not try to match a specific map, such as one we found online or drew up for a particular adventure or pulled off of www.mapquest.com . But on occasion, we do need to match a particular scene. Such as in Medallions Episode I, we needed to set up the library, the science center, the construction scene, etc. and we wanted them to match up to their real-world counterparts as much as possible. When that happens, sometimes the DM pulls up a printout of the map from mapquest or whatever other source, and we lay that down on the table and then everyone sets to work from that. Or, sometimes if the scene is familiar enough to everyone, we all just work from memory. In these cases, it can take up to 10 minutes to really craft a scene, but also, in these cases, this usually indicates a very dramatic combat is about to start, and we want everything just right anyway.

I'll try to remind ledded next session to take some pics of the shelves we have to show how everything is organized (like just a pic of the shelves of cars), and just to show off how many vehicles, minis, and buildings we actually have. (Jeez, I forgot all about the planes, the star wars stuff, and the boats...Heck i haven't even seen the boats in a while...)

Also, I should point out, in the four years we have been doing this, my contribution to mini painting consists of about half of a single hobgoblin archer, and my contribution to terrain consists of two small cardboard huts, although I do take some credit for working up good ideas with ledded and working him into a terrain-building frenzy when we need something new. :) The miniatures are all painted up by ledded, pierce, and fludogg. The Hirst Arts are all (lovingly and painstakingly) done by fludogg and pierce. Almost all of the terrain, vehicles, and assorted other bits like trees are done by ledded. His unhealthy obsession with terrain is our blessing.

Old Drew Id

ledded

Herder of monkies
Old Drew Id said:
Fenzer,
I think part of why it works so well for us is that we have been playing now with the same crew for going on four years, and we all know where everything goes and how to work together to put a scene together quickly. Plus, we don't try, in most cases, to follow a pre-defined map. What I mean is, here is how we work:
<SNIP>
And this has become a large part of the fun; everybody gets to grab some of the toys, er, terrain and set up whatever section they like. We tend to run very dynamic games; like OldDrewId said, unless it's a very specific scene with a specific map, we tend to play it a bit off-the-cuff and go with whatever shows up on the table. Most of the time the GM has a specific broad layout and a few details in mind, and everyone else gets to add their contribution to what is there, which the GM invariably uses against you in some way :). It is a lot of fun to have everyone scrambling to build this big, nice scene and is a good part of the night. We all get to use a little creativity, and someone may drop some scenery that is very appropriate and helpful where you, as GM, would have never thought of it. It's very inspiring, and the setup often seems to get us in the mood for what is about to go down.

I'll try to remind ledded next session to take some pics of the shelves we have to show how everything is organized (like just a pic of the shelves of cars), and just to show off how many vehicles, minis, and buildings we actually have. (Jeez, I forgot all about the planes, the star wars stuff, and the boats...Heck i haven't even seen the boats in a while...)
I actually have some, but havent posted any because they are verifiable evidence of just how disturbed and neurotic we are. :)

But yes, we have everything from a small fleet of resin 16th century sailing ships, to Star Wars AT-ST walkers, landspeeders, and swoop bikes, to a shocking variety of buildings, bunkers, industrial scenery in a wide variety of materials and building styles. So much that, even though we have at least 5 floor-to-ceiling shelf units filled with stuff in the room, there is still a few shelves worth in the closet we need to find a way to get into the room more often. I even built a rudiementary set of cliff faces and are almost 2 feet tall (that's over 100 feet to you in miniature scale) complete with little shelfs, niches, ledges, and crannies to be able to simulate climbing for the PC's or mooks.

Also, I should point out, in the four years we have been doing this, my contribution to mini painting consists of about half of a single hobgoblin archer, and my contribution to terrain consists of two small cardboard huts,
although I do take some credit for working up good ideas with ledded and working him into a terrain-building frenzy when we need something new. :)
OldDrewId is right; many of my terrain-psychotic episodes have been directly inspired by ideas that we worked ourselves up over in conversation or email.

But I would say your contribution has been more than that, as you often bring in small toys and pieces of things and then shove inspiration into my mind as to what to do with them. By the way, I've already drawn out my plan for those pieces you brought last time; a full scale 747 complete with playable internal area will be in the works soon. At least we already have a few aircraft (including a to-scale C-47, which will be featured here soon) and helicopters to crash into it :)

And anyway, with the incredible, detailed, and interesting worlds that you craft and allow us to run around in, the least we can do is slave over a pile of pewter, plaster, wood, styrofoam or plastic to help it come to life for us.

The miniatures are all painted up by ledded, pierce, and fludogg. The Hirst Arts are all (lovingly and painstakingly) done by fludogg and pierce. Almost all of the terrain, vehicles, and assorted other bits like trees are done by ledded. His unhealthy obsession with terrain is our blessing.

Old Drew Id
Unhealthy? You wound me sir :). All that painting and cutting and glueing gives me *some* exercise, so I dont think I'd call it completely unhealthy. :D The minis and terrain has become as much of a hobby as playing, and I dont think that I could quit either for some time to come.

Now if you want to talk about truly disturbing, I noticed you left out all mention of the abundance of crazy roleplaying props... including a nice collection of broken toy airsoft guns that we fiddle around with while playing Modern. And that sombrero.

Last edited:

ledded

Herder of monkies
Eyas said:
Hey, it has nothing to do with drinking, most of the time, just an unfortunate tendancy to be a complete clutz :D
Which is often compounded by our unfortunate tendancy to be complete drunks :D. What? Dont look at me that way people, you dont think that Fludogg was *sober* when he had Joe do some of that crazy stuff, did you?

(okay, okay, just kidding kids, it's not really that way)

Yeah, OldDrewId is still trying to explain that "bowl" that would not fill up with water thing to me ;)
Aha! You prove my point! If P, fludogg, and I had *built* it, then we still wouldnt be arguing about it years later, now would we? :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases