Bit more on Dragonlance....

trancejeremy

Adventurer
http://forums.delphiforums.com/sovstone/messages/?msg=63

From a message by Jamie Chambers, of Sovereign Press

"To clarify: Sovereign Press has entered into a licensing agreement with Wizards of the Coast to produce a line of d20 System products in the world of Dragonlance. The first "core" book for Dragonlance and Third Edition rules will be published by Wizards of the Coast. Sovereign Press will then follow with a full line of support product"

Which could be a good thing, since WOTC has more resources to make the first book like the FRCS, or WOT, print quality.

Is this similar to how Oriental Adventures was handled. Although not exclusively Rokugan, OA was published by WotC and followed up by support from AEG.

Randolpho

First Post
My understanding (by a newsletter from Tracy Hickman), is that Sovereign Stone will be producing the book, but WotC will be printing it. SS will then print and produce everything else.

Likely this is designed to have the same effect the d20 license has on the PH -- to play a d20 module, you need to buy the PH. To play a Dragonlance d20 module printed by Soverign Stone, you need to buy the Dragonlance core rulebook from WotC.

This is, IMO, a *very* smart move on WotC's part -- let everyone else do the work and reap the benefits from it. It's win-win for both teams, and WotC makes a tidy (hopefully ;)) profit from it.

Randolpho

First Post
The Traveler said:
Probably a coup for Sovereign Press, too, because WotC will be eating the printing costs, and will likely make a full-colour book.

Exactly. Nobody looses. (edit: unless nothing sells, of course. ;))

Last edited:

Lady Dragon

First Post
Don't worry it will sell.

As for the oriental adventures/Rokugan situation. WoTC was already almost finished with OA when AEG aquired the Legend of the five ring lisence.And finishing this and all other LoFR stuff was part of the contract.At this point AEG decided to work with rather than against WoTC and take advantage of the MIllion plus D&D fans opposed to the ten thousand or so LoFR fans and go D20 they then were allowed to see the manuscripts early so that they could get ready with there follow up proudets I'd say it was a win-win for all involved.

Randolpho

First Post
That's the WotC mode of business that I love so well -- Win-win for all parties involved. :D

Thankfully Hasbro doesn't seem to be hindering it yet.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Personally I see that statement as a bad thing, because Sovereign Press are the original authors of Dragonlance.

Having WotC do the first book means some WotC writer will set the tone for the line and not the original authors.

EDIT: Just read the third post in this thread. If by Sovereign Press producing it we mean that the Sovereign staff has full authorship and creative decision control then it will be a good arrangement.

I'm no fan of the setting; but I've sense enough to know it's original creators did better with it than those who followed them.

Last edited:

Remove ads