Rust Monster Encounter

Quasqueton

First Post
Just have to relate this sad, bad luck story.

In my campaign, the party (5-7th level) has been exploring the underdark. One random encounter was a single rust monster looking for a meal. The only character that recognized the creature for what it was, was the PC wizard (with Knowledge dungeoneering). Unfortunately, the wizard was last in the initiative count, and so couldn't shout a warning in time to stop the barbarian/cleric from stepping up and slashing the rust monster with his +1 holy greatsword. 18,000gp magic item (brand new for the PC -- used only once before this) destroyed.

Quasqueton

Ferox4

First Post
Identical thing happened to one of my players except that it was a +2 bastard sword that he had commisioned. He had it for 2 hours. He was displeased. That's just how it goes.

FCWesel

First Post
Yeah, I used a RM on a group of players who really had never encoutnered it before. Boy were they surprised. They were of decent level, it should not have been that hard of an encounter for them, but the Players got so freaked they all pratically ran away...and it chased them.

I like to think of Treants and Rust Monsters as a GMs tool to get rid of "old" magic items, or simply allows me to make room for new magic items I want to upgrade the group with. ;)

Quasqueton

First Post
I like to think of Treants and Rust Monsters as a GMs tool to get rid of "old" magic items, or simply allows me to make room for new magic items I want to upgrade the group with.
Ironic that you mention say this. Several weeks ago, an evil treant sundered this same PC's +1 greatsword in battle. The +1 holy greatsword was the replacement and upgrade for this character. (Though I didn't target this character or his equipment for particular "punishment".)

Quasqueton

VirgilCaine

First Post
I would have given PCs of those levels each an Int check, maybe DC 15, to recognize the creature from tales and warnings from other adventurers, etc. By that time someone would have told them of such a monster--they aren't that rare.

BSF

Explorer
VirgilCaine said:
I would have given PCs of those levels each an Int check, maybe DC 15, to recognize the creature from tales and warnings from other adventurers, etc. By that time someone would have told them of such a monster--they aren't that rare.

I wouldn't. If you do that, you undermine the character that actually sank skill points into Knowledge (Dungeoneering). Being an adventurer is a rough line of work.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
In 1E the rust monster could only destroy metal - it had no other attack. I still remember my fighter stripping out of his armor then beating it to death with his fists. Those were the days... :cool:

Frilf

Explorer
Sir Whiskers said:
In 1E the rust monster could only destroy metal - it had no other attack. I still remember my fighter stripping out of his armor then beating it to death with his fists. Those were the days... :cool:

I love rust monsters! I love them so much, I decided to create a template so that other creatures could get in on the fun! :)

But I digress. It is unfortunate that players rush headlong into combat against creatures they're unfamiliar with. But, that's a big reward for being the DM... Prep and destroy! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases