[ic] nameless II: the seventh from seven

doghead

thotd
Morning comes and you are rudely ejected from beds and bundled into armour and gear. Its dark outside and even with the battered old lanterns, not much brighter inside. With the all too obvious exception of Cromwell, who seems to move with an almost etheral grace, you stumble around the unfamilier place struggling to pull on the unfamilier armour and gear in the dim yellow light. Finally you get everything together and stumble out into the cold pre-dawn light. You've only spent one night in the barracks, but are glad to be leaving them. But if you think you feel sore and bruised from yesterday's exertions, wait until tomorrow.

There is a quick breakfast of steaming hot thick spicy chicken and vegetable soup, bread and bitter tea. For which you are immensely gratefull. Joining you is the Sergeant, who tucks into his soup and bread with great gusto.

"A soldier should eat as if each meal is going to be his last," he says with great relish, waving his spoon around for emphasis. "Unless of course he knows that there is a good chance it will be his last, in which case he wants an empty stomach."

In front of him is a satchel and a rolled up map. But he waits till all have finished before he unrolls the map, using various utensils as weights, and begins.

"You march out this morning. You will head east til you get to the village of Trolgill. Then you will strike north to Killingtom. All in all about a hundred or so miles; 4 days marching.

"You are to deliver these letters to each of the villages you pass through. There is one for each of them. Inform any farms along the way of the way of the presence of goblins in the East Forest. But do not stray too far from the path. Let the locals spread warning to farms out of your way. Once you get to Killingtom, you are to report to Sergeant Dobbels. You will reinforce the garrison there until further orders.

"Corporal Cromwell. I expect a hour of drills with weapons each day.

"Any questions anyone?"

Last edited:

DrZombie

First Post
Bugger this, it smells even worse then yesterday. Let's see... Yep, this strap goes here, that goes there. Aaah , just as I thought. It rubs on exactly the same places. And they're allready red. Just great.

Gingerly Nate walks around, cursing under his breath. He's used to getting up early, but he hasn't felt this bad since the morning after harvestfeast.

At least I had some good reason to feel bad then.

He greedily wolfs down breakfast, used to Mrs Hurdan's homecoocking, wich was exactly what a growing lad and a blacksmith need at 6 am : eggs, bacon and a lonely vitamin hidden in an overbaked tomatoe. Spicy chicken and a vegetable soup make for a nice change.

He then starts packing his backpack, wincing as he puts it on. And there I was thinking I couldn't possibly hurt more.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Oscar will help the others with thier armor. He having been trained in armor and weapons from an early age. "Corporal Cromwell Sir? If need be I have enough training myself to aid you in sparing with the others." Oscar salutes Cromwell as he would any higher ranking officer.

ooc: Oscar doesn't change much I'll have him reposted soon as I can.

doghead

thotd
Thomas Hobbes said:
"Yes sir." That would be Cromwell's only response to the sargeant's orders, but he remembers something. "Requesting permission to speak, sir."
"Yes of course Cromwell. What's on your mind?"

NeuroZombie

Explorer
Sadoloth dawns his leather armor and buckles his short sword to his side, the weigth strange and unbalanced. He sighs, still unsure of why he is taking up arms when he should be protecting his forest. I am protecting my forest, the thought crosses his mind, but there is a deeper something to it, a something that he has yet to unravel.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"Just requesting some clarification, sir. Who is in charge of this mission?" This will make me rest easier ordering Oscar about, if it is I, and perhaps give Lisa less cause to complain.

Oscar said:
"Corporal Cromwell Sir? If need be I have enough training myself to aid you in sparing with the others." Oscar salutes Cromwell as he would any higher ranking officer.

Cromwell smiles. "Certainly. Thank you for the offer." For starting exercises, Cromwell will lead them first in a few basic exercises on maintaining equipment, stressing the importance of keeping your gear in working order. He will then break out the wooden sparring weapons and pair the people off, working with each group in sucsession- Hewik and Sadoloth, Oscar and Lisa, and himself and Nate. He rotates the groups periodically, more explaining than apologizing the to the halflings, if asked- "You may fight something bigger than goblins someday, and they need practice fighting something smaller."

DrZombie

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
"For starting exercises, Cromwell will lead them first in a few basic exercises on maintaining equipment, stressing the importance of keeping your gear in working order.
Nate tries to pretend to listen attentively, not wanting to embarres Cromwell in front of the sarge. Yeah right, telling a blacksmith how to maintain equipment, kinda like telling your grandfather how to shear sheep.

When squared off against Cromwell, he'll try to do his best, when squared off against someone perceived as "weaker" (Lisa or the halflings) he'll do his best not to hurt anyone, and he'll try his best to hide this.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Oscar spars with everyone equaly. He will not hurt them but they will know that they have been in a fight. "I'm sorry if I have been rough. but you will not learn to survive if I am easy on you." As soon as he says that he thinks about how much he sounds like his Uncle. He will also assuming he has Cromwell's permission start teaching the smaller ones and Lisa the art of Fencing. (IE.. Weapon Finesse)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases