Magical Tattoos

My DM has instructed me to find out what resources there are for magical tattoos available. There are several different books that have included tattoo magic in them, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Scarred Lands setting. What other books have magical tattoo systems in them? I know I've seen them elsewhere (I'm sure I own a few), but I don't know where.

If a mod feels this belongs in the Rules forum or the d20 forum, go ahead and move it.

Thanks!

morbiczer

First Post
Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook

Green Ronin's in every way excellent Shaman's Handbook has rules for magic tattoos. There are two sorts: Mystic Marks are one use tattoos (like potions), Permanent Tattoos are, well, permanent magical tattoos.

Last edited:

Stockdale

First Post
I had a character that took the Craft Magical Tattoo feat from Dungeon mag, which played pretty easily and was frequently useful. I believe it was listed in the controversial Vile senareo issue.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
There is the Create Magic Tattoo spell in Magic of Faerun. Red Wizards in the FR setting also use tattoos in their magic.

I had also thought of a feat that would allow you to inscribe tattoos on people, as a special form of permanency. You could inscribe any spell on them that could be done with permanency (except that you can put spells on other people even if those spells normally affect only the caster). The experience cost is the same, but it also requires 1000 Gold per spell level for the special inks and dies. It takes one day per spell level to inscribe. Once the tattoo is complete, the spell operates on the individual as if it was permanent, but it is also resistant to dispelling. A successful dispel magic on it only supresses it for 1d4 rounds (as if it were a magic item). Mordenkainens disjunction can ruin a tattoo, but it gets a save as if it were a magic item. Characters with Spellcraft can look at the tattoo to tell what spell it is, and the dc is 20 + spell level.

Cthulhu's Librarian said:
My DM has instructed me to find out what resources there are for magical tattoos available. There are several different books that have included tattoo magic in them, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Scarred Lands setting. What other books have magical tattoo systems in them? I know I've seen them elsewhere (I'm sure I own a few), but I don't know where.

If a mod feels this belongs in the Rules forum or the d20 forum, go ahead and move it.

Thanks!
The Tattooed Monk in "Complete Warrior" (p. 83) - not really a "system" per se, but maybe it'll spark some ideas.

Psion

Adventurer
Most of the ones I know of have already been mentioned.

R&R is my favorite, and there is a prestige class in R&R2 that can use tattoos better.

Tattoo monk is cool as well.

I see psionic tattoos as almost a different thing. If you like those, though, mindscapes has a prestige class and several feats enhancing tattoos.

"When the Sky Falls" has living tattoos of a sort called Engrams that carry the psyche of a space traveler.

There is a tattoo mage core class in AEG's Mercenaries.

The net book of classes (FanCC) has a tattoo mage class, but it is basically an excuse to give a divine caster arcane spells or vice versa.

Remove ads