Ancient Discoveries (History Channel)

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Three episodes, sixty minutes each, from 710pm central tonight and repeated from 11pm-1am.

"Ancient Computer?"
The Antikythera mechanism is found deep in the Aegean Sea.

"Galen, Doctor to the Gladiators"
Galen performs brain surgery 2,000 years ahead of his time.

"Heron of Alexandria"
Heron's strange inventions are famed throughout the ancient world.

Enjoy! :)

Man, the music on this show is really good for a history show. It sounds like something I could use as background music in my game. *grin*

I bet there's practically no way to get a copy of the music by itself, is there?

Welverin

First Post
I'mo not sure what I was doing, maybe waching the bottom line 2, but I missed the end of "Ancient Computer?" and am wondering what about the odometer got the guy who invented it in trouble. Any help on that?

Pretty good all in all.

The odometer confounded folks for centuries, until the 'computer' they found underwater gave them the missing piece to the puzzle. The cogs on the wheels in everyone's attempts to remake the device were square, but the real device had triangular spikes. Once they tried to remake the thingy with triangular teeth, it worked just fine.

I'm so using some of these ideas in my game. Even though I'm always skeptical of the nifty "I bet you didn't know that. . . ." ideas on the History Channel, it doesn't matter whether they were real. I can still use them in my game without any qualms.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Sorry I missed this!

Triangular vs. rectangular teeth on cogs? Came from THAT device? I'll be darned. :eek:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
This show has been in repeat for about the last two months, so there is a good chance you catch it.

They also discuss hot-air balloons being used in South America 2000 years ago, all based on art and material (no real proof).

Argh!!!! In a few days, the local cable company (ComCast) will be expanding Basic cable to include the History Channel (and TV Land and Court TV and, for my dad, Fox News).

Unfortunately, it's not done yet... :(

I've even got my dad excited about the fact that we're gonna be getting TV Land. :)

Remove ads