Conversions Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ignore dragoonm

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

Has anyone done a converstion for the Antia Blake series of books? I am thinking of it but don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore elvnsword
    I havn't seen any conversions to date on the boards but I will admit the idea is intriging... I would be happy to help you with it if you like.

Elvnsword: (on YIM or here)
    And it was that the Goddess sent down a Blade to defend her people, that they might hold back the Incursion.

When (Evil) Players Attack, get the Great Wyrm Golds... ::WEG::

Quote Originally Posted by dragoonm
    Has anyone done a converstion for the Antia Blake series of books? I am thinking of it but don't want to reinvent the wheel. Thank you in advance.
    I've toyed with idea using White Wolf rules. I didn't get far; my players weren't that interested. However, I think that a d20 conversion done correctly could work nicely. Feel free to bounce ideas off of me if you'd like.

-P.C.

I would love to see a conversion for this.

I would also love a conversion for the Merideth Gentry books.

Would 'Honeymouth' be a Feat of a Supernatual Ability?

Well, I came here hoping to find this particular conversion, Hoping to save myself some work. But it looks like I'll have to do it myself. I'll post it here as I get it done.

Max

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    The hardest thing in my mind is the vampires. how do you come up with a cohesive game system on which to build them? It seems to me that they alone would have to be broken up into several vampire classes. And Anita herself. If even she doesn't know what she can do, let alone what she is becoming, how can you convert her to a class system?

Now the werewolves and other weres seem pretty straight forward. The other magic systems are a bit whacked and don't seem to lend themselves very well to a level advancement system. They appear to me as very few powers that are far more powerful than what a d20 magic user can do. So they appear to me to be more like a sorceror, but with even fewer spells known, but more powerful.

In other words, I haven't seen how to convert this and keep enough of its distinct "flavor" to be happy with doing it.

Very interrested in this

I am also looking at making this conversion (d20). My wife loved this series and I'm thinkging this may finally be my chance to get her into role-playing. Please keep us posted (or reply to me directly) on your progress. If I can't find any conversion I'll have to do it myself so I'd rather collaborate.

*Bump*

*BUMP*

My girlfriend and I have been on and off again working on a conversion for this in D20 Modern. I'd LOVE to see some of the info that you guys may have come up with and would be more than happy to contribute.

You could always use the book of Erotic Fantasy...

The Master vampires also seem to have power over specific animals and creatures of the same type. Didn't one short lived master have a connection with butterflies?

Perhaps the Master treats all creature of a given typre as if they had cast 'animal friend' or 'animal companion'? Maybe sentient creatures that share the same type (werewolves for wolves and Lamia for snakes, using exaples from the book) take negatives against the Master's charm and Domination abilities?

As for Anita, if your intersted in OGL sources, check the Witch's book from GR. Gives a lot of info on ceremonial magic, and the rules include bonuses for having nonspell casters in the ceremony, places of power, times of power, etc. It shies away from sacrifices, but you can double the bonus said critter would have given if it were part of the ceremony (the bonuses are HD based).

It can also explain some of the powers Anita has used. The class casts spells as a Soceror, but the premis is "I've studied these spells so long, I don't need a spellbook." Even if you don't use the class, the witches and spellcasters in the novels could be adepts who use the ceremonial rules. This book also has some interesting notes on using alternate components, potion crafting, and real world medicinal uses for a variety of items.

Another interesting source made be the Psychis handbook from the same publisher. Each vampire had a specific ability that improved with age. The butterfly master used a form of pyrokinesis if I recall. You can pick the relavent psychic abilities (they are skill based in this book), such as Mind Reading, Domination, etc, and give them automatic ranks in the same manner dragons gain automatic ranks in Spellcraft, Jump, etc. The skills have a variety uses, and the DC increases dependant on familiarity with the target and, in some cases, the mass of the target. The only listed range is that the target has to be on the same plane. This seems to fit well, since the vampires powers tend to gain potency on targets the more said target is exposed to those powers, regardless of distance.

You can also use this book for your psychics. It comes with the Psychic PrC for d20 Modern, so those with psychic abilities won't be overly powerful. You can also use the Wild Talent Feat (pick a psychic skill: it s now a cross class skill for you) to explain how people have gained there own minor psychic ability, such as the clairvoyants.

Wouldn't those marked be concidered familiars? Anita complained about weight gain, with Jean-Claude always using her to tasye foods again. Seems link a sense link thing...

One last thing: I remember reading about a woman who was impregnanted by a vampire. There was fear that the baby would have a genetic disorder that created an animalist vamp. Have you planned on using these 'half vampires'?
    Last edited by Storyteller01; Sunday, 9th January, 2005 at 06:31 PM.
    Philosophy of choice: Occam's Razor

"Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think."
    --Margaret Cho

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    Those are some good ideas! Plus you have given me two more GR books to look at. A skills based psionics system? Sounds like something I might finally like. The ceremonies for the witches sounds like something I have been looking for as well.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast