Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter

Kerrick

First Post
I love that series - have all the books. I did a vampire book, using some of the rules and such from the series, combined with the rules from Ravenloft. What I did was give vampires age categories - their stats, abilities, and power increase the older they get. And then I came up with a bunch of master-level abilities, of which a master gets 1d4. Normal vampires can take a feat to gain 1d2 of these abilities also.

As for Anita... I don't know WHAT she is. If I had to put her into D&D terms, she's definitely a necromancer sorceress. I'm not sure what do with the other stuff she does, the newer magic she uses - psionics, maybe? I think Modern would be the best system to use for this, because it's a modern setting - she would have some firearms profs, martial arts, etc. Also, the Modern magic system would fit this a lot better - the incantations, rituals, and such. She would be a Dedicated/Necromancer (new PrC) with some levels of Martial Artist.

thugpoetry

First Post
As far as rereading through the books and doing research for various powers, I can do that. Pretty easily, since i've got a bit of free time and all of the books. However, where I come up short is in the "system" area. I can put the powers into game terms, but I'd want to know what type of terms we're talking about. Are we talking about Bloodlines or themed power lines? Age catagories, like dragons? Feats that simply require you to be a vampire?

Same with the were's.

For my personal homebrew world, I'd come up with a power, and then break the power down into three power levels. Normal, Master, and Council plateaus for the powers.

Another thing that we'd need to talk about is feeding. Do we want to use WotC style for that? I'm thinking the lifewell from a certain PrC.

This is a great idea to convert, and certainly one that I'm willing to jump in and help with. ground rules are needed though.

can contact me at Outside_myself@hotmail.com. Make sure to put Anita Blake Conversion at the top or something, so I don't delete out of hand.

Tesler

First Post
*Bump*

*BUMP*

My girlfriend and I have been on and off again working on a conversion for this in D20 Modern. I'd LOVE to see some of the info that you guys may have come up with and would be more than happy to contribute.

Storyteller01

First Post
You could always use the book of Erotic Fantasy... :)

The Master vampires also seem to have power over specific animals and creatures of the same type. Didn't one short lived master have a connection with butterflies?

Perhaps the Master treats all creature of a given typre as if they had cast 'animal friend' or 'animal companion'? Maybe sentient creatures that share the same type (werewolves for wolves and Lamia for snakes, using exaples from the book) take negatives against the Master's charm and Domination abilities?

As for Anita, if your intersted in OGL sources, check the Witch's book from GR. Gives a lot of info on ceremonial magic, and the rules include bonuses for having nonspell casters in the ceremony, places of power, times of power, etc. It shies away from sacrifices, but you can double the bonus said critter would have given if it were part of the ceremony (the bonuses are HD based).

It can also explain some of the powers Anita has used. The class casts spells as a Soceror, but the premis is "I've studied these spells so long, I don't need a spellbook." Even if you don't use the class, the witches and spellcasters in the novels could be adepts who use the ceremonial rules. This book also has some interesting notes on using alternate components, potion crafting, and real world medicinal uses for a variety of items.

Another interesting source made be the Psychis handbook from the same publisher. Each vampire had a specific ability that improved with age. The butterfly master used a form of pyrokinesis if I recall. You can pick the relavent psychic abilities (they are skill based in this book), such as Mind Reading, Domination, etc, and give them automatic ranks in the same manner dragons gain automatic ranks in Spellcraft, Jump, etc. The skills have a variety uses, and the DC increases dependant on familiarity with the target and, in some cases, the mass of the target. The only listed range is that the target has to be on the same plane. This seems to fit well, since the vampires powers tend to gain potency on targets the more said target is exposed to those powers, regardless of distance.

You can also use this book for your psychics. It comes with the Psychic PrC for d20 Modern, so those with psychic abilities won't be overly powerful. You can also use the Wild Talent Feat (pick a psychic skill: it s now a cross class skill for you) to explain how people have gained there own minor psychic ability, such as the clairvoyants.

Wouldn't those marked be concidered familiars? Anita complained about weight gain, with Jean-Claude always using her to tasye foods again. Seems link a sense link thing...

One last thing: I remember reading about a woman who was impregnanted by a vampire. There was fear that the baby would have a genetic disorder that created an animalist vamp. Have you planned on using these 'half vampires'?

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Those are some good ideas! Plus you have given me two more GR books to look at. A skills based psionics system? Sounds like something I might finally like. The ceremonies for the witches sounds like something I have been looking for as well.

Storyteller01

First Post
Some of the feats and powers are a little hokey, but they aren't difficult to fix. The exact fix will depend on your campaign.

For some of the vamps that can turn into animals, the witch's book has the Swarm Shape feat. It's a nice way to ensure the bad guy will keep coming back!

If you don't mind, I'd love to be involved in this project of yours :) ...

Varderin

First Post
Hello, I joined this forum for this thread alone, I am a huge fan of the series and as we speak I am doing a Conversion for D20 Modern, I will publish a download link for it when I am done but if anyone wishes to review what I have so far feel free to drop me a PM and I will send you what I have so far, I am open to anyone's help on it and I would like to use the feats and other information that is published here (I will give credit to the people who came up with the created feats and powers.)

Cheers.

Ty Parker

First Post
Any time I want to build a custom world I go straight to G.U.R.P.S., it is very easy to build any world given the plethora of supplements available. For Anita Blake I wold just go with Supers, limit the choices of powers to those appropriate to the genre and scale the available build points to an appropriate level. From there you can just play in L.K.H.'s world. This is my first post to this forum, so please let me know if it was any help.

Dethklok

First Post
This is my first post to this forum, so please let me know if it was any help.
Well, you're responding to a thread which has been quiescent for three years, so it may not even be read by the original poster. But don't be too discouraged; there are plenty of other people in the House Rules section looking for advice.

Remove ads