Sultans of Smack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Sir Hawkeye said:
Maximize Spell: "A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell's actual level"

Heighten Spell: "Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the level of the spell it modifies."

Spell Storing: "allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level..."

Emphasis mine in all cases. However, I think it is clear that an empowered, maximized vampiric touch is considered a 3rd-level spell for the purposes of spell-storing. This is one of the rare cases where counting as a lower level spell is beneficial.
You are reading it wrong; by your logic, you could prepare an empowered, maximized vampiric touch as a 3rd-level spell, for example.

Sir Hawkeye

First Post
In response to hypersmurf:
In theory, yes.:p

Of course, one requires 3 feats to create, and the other only requires one.

Last edited:

Sir Hawkeye

First Post
Darkness said:
You are reading it wrong; by your logic, you could prepare an empowered, maximized vampiric touch as a 3rd-level spell, for example.

No, because the descriptions of the feats state that the spell takes up a slot higher than its actual level. That prevents it from being prepared in a 3rd-level spell slot (or cast with a 3rd-level spell slot for sorcerers.)

Darkness

Sir Hawkeye said:

No, because the descriptions of the feats state that the spell takes up a slot higher than its actual level. That prevents it from being prepared in a 3rd-level spell slot (or cast with a 3rd-level spell slot for sorcerers.)
And the same goes for a spell storing weapon. See the point now? :cool:

Sir Hawkeye

First Post
As a DM, it bothers me somewhat, and I might house rule that magic item cost is based on spell slot level used. However, in any case, I would consider maximized empowered magic missile to be able to be placed in a wand, despite using a 6th level spell slot.

As a potential Sultan of Smack, it bothers me not a whit, as it has no bearing on the matter at hand.:D

Sir Hawkeye

First Post
Darkness said:
And the same goes for a spell storing weapon. See the point now? :cool:

Spell Storing: "Spell... of upto 3rd level"

Minor Globe of Invulnerability: "Spell effects of up to 3rd level"

Globe of Invulnerability: "4th-level spells and spell-like effects"

I submit that the terms Spell and Spell Effects are used interchangeably (as demonstrated by Minor Globe and Globe) for the purposes of the Globe spells. This makes the terminology of Spell Storing and Minor Globe identical. The description of Heighten Spell specifically states that most metamagic feats do not affect the ability of a spell to penetrate a Minor Globe of Invulnerability. Therefore, I submit that most metamagic feats (excepting only Heighten Spell) do not affect the ability of a spell to be placed in a Spell storing weapon.

!

Darkness

Sir Hawkeye said:
As a DM, it bothers me somewhat, and I might house rule that magic item cost is based on spell slot level used. However, in any case, I would consider maximized empowered magic missile to be able to be placed in a wand, despite using a 6th level spell slot.
Got you now! :D

PHB, p. 78:
Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell's higher, metamagic level.
Also, please note that there's no mention of Heighten Spell in this quote - but since what Heighten Spell does to a spell is the exception rather than the rule, this would need to be pointed out in case it was being referred to in this general rule. But it isn't! :cool:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
He makes a strong case... :) Need to look into it some more.

I would point out, though, that Spell Storing is a melee weapon special ability, and that to discharge the spell requires a conscious decision on the part of the wielder.

I submit that once it has left your hands, you are no longer wielding the weapon, and you no longer have the "right" to discharge the spell.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
He makes a strong case... :) Need to look into it some more.

"Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell's higher, metamagic level."

Ah, good. Thank you, Darkness. I was getting worried :)

Now, he'll point out that it's a special case for potions and wands, and refer to the quote above it that says "In all ways, a meeamagic spell operates at its original level", but at least there's a rules precedent for stored metamagic...

-Hyp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads