Gary - a potential problem

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
In this thread, Hong is directing people to consult Col_Pladoh on Rules issues.

I know you want to keep people believing the "Tweet, Cook, and Williams" line about the design of 3E, but I wasn't a mod the last time someone starting getting close to the truth. I'm not sure exactly how you want it handled.

Unfortunately, Hong's got a high enough profile around the forums that people would take notice if he simply "disappeared".

What's the recommended technique to keep secrets... secret?

Yours with all appropriate obeisance,
-Hyp.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
An excellent concern. We've managed to help hide Gary's ownership of this site for years now, ever since he bought it with the money made from WotC going public. We can't afford to let it come out now.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Piratecat said:
An excellent concern. We've managed to help hide Gary's ownership of this site for years now, ever since he bought it with the money made from WotC going public. We can't afford to let it come out now.

I don't think anyone's twigged to that one yet.

But there are a few signs that people might be gradually noting the Gygaxian 'feel' to a lot of the 3E design. Filtering the wording through Monte and Skip and Jonathan definitely helped to camouflage it - the original wording of a lot of the passages in the original 3E Yellow Notebook was unmistakably Gary - but there are definitely people sniffing around the truth.

-Hyp.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Good Gaxx! Perish the thought! Until the Creator wishes to make it known, we've gotta keep those people quiet.

Last time it happened, I believe the poster was bribed with cases of D&D Miniatures and his account erased. More drastic measures may need to be taken with hong.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hypersmurf said:
Unfortunately, Hong's got a high enough profile around the forums that people would take notice if he simply "disappeared".

NOBODY's that high profile. Remember Gene Weigel, before we replaced him with a Bot? THAT was a tough mission. If we can avoid that kind of fiasco again, I'm all for it.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Not to worry. I've been banning anyone who guessed, and there's no reason to change -- it seems to be working pretty well.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Damn!

I was not paying attention--too hung over from last night's LARP of Tavern Tales. So it seems that someone is getting near the truth, no problem. Ban him permanently, one of you assume his name, and then post some rwally wierd messages. The regulars will think he's gone off the deep end,and then a banning can be annonced for that reason.

It is vital that no one know the truth of things here!

Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
*Illustrious eader-lay, Ix-nay on the an-play! there's been an istake-may, and eople-pay are atching-way...* :confused:

Remove ads