(Adventure) M1: Goblin Ears and the MTG (dpdx judging) COMPLETED

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Charlarn gets a look of horror on his face. "My friends. We should flee this fight. Those foul creatures are ghouls. Their touch can freeze a man in his tracks. Get on your horses if you can. I can try to channel the glory of Phyrah to chase them away, but it is difficult for a novice."

With that, he puts his crossbow away (move action) and tries to quick mount his horse (Ride check [untrained] at +1, DC 20; failure mean using a move action instead).

orsal

LEW Judge
Steve Jung said:
Charlarn gets a look of horror on his face. "My friends. We should flee this fight. Those foul creatures are ghouls. Their touch can freeze a man in his tracks. Get on your horses if you can. I can try to channel the glory of Phyrah to chase them away, but it is difficult for a novice."

Nurlan heeds his friend's advice, slinging his bow over his shoulder as he climbs on the horse. While still singing, he gestures to Irene to get on behind him.

Manzanita

First Post
The group mounts and spurs their horses. As they gallop down the path, a couple ghouls get quite close, though they aren't able to attack. The ghouls seem to be of various sizes, from halfling to larger than human. Once the horses have pushed past them, they retreat to the trees.

orsal

LEW Judge
Manzanita said:
The group mounts and spurs their horses. As they gallop down the path, a couple ghouls get quite close, though they aren't able to attack. The ghouls seem to be of various sizes, from halfling to larger than human. Once the horses have pushed past them, they retreat to the trees.

About three minutes after the ghouls' retreat Nurlan stops his horse and calls the others to discuss plans.

"What do we do now? If we go back, I figure those ghostly creatures will return. Is it worth pressing forward to investigate this foul scene? I keep wondering if the wreckage under the rocks was the party that sad halfling came with. Or should we return to Orussus, take a few days to hone our skills, recruit some reinforcements from the Red Dragon Inn, and bring them back here?"

Gurdjieff

First Post
"Yeah, maybe we should retreat. It's not like there's much to find here except our deaths, which I'm not really fond of finding. Let's go."

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: Male human cleric 1

Venus said:
"Yeah, maybe we should retreat. It's not like there's much to find here except our deaths, which I'm not really fond of finding. Let's go."
Charlarn barely suppresses a shudder at their narrow escape. "I agree wholeheartedly. We aren't strong enough to face that many enemies, especially those back from the grave. I hope we won't have problems finding help at Orussus."

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan speaks again: "Well then, let us return to Orussus immediately. Perhaps, in addition to getting help, we could work on our various skills while we rest. No doubt if you, Charlarn, take a few days for intensive prayer, and you two study your arcana further, we will return better able to take on this unholy menace. I know I could use some time to practice my art; I am still working on using my song to replicate some of the more fantastic effects that bards I have met were able to achieve, and I have a few ideas of a few that might be very useful in our mission."

Manzanita

First Post
Conclusion

The party sets their sights on Orussus. The trip there is uneventful. Once in the city, the group decides to take a little time apart to study, pray and research. They will meet again next at the Red Dragon Inn.

Here ends M1: Goblin Ears and the MTG. Thank you all for participating. It looks like you all are interested in continuing on to M2: The Search for Goblin HQ. I’ll start that thread when you’ve recruited some companions and are ready to continue. If anyone wants to get off at the Inn, that’s fine. I do hope at least one of you will continue with the adventure so you can do the recruiting of additional adventurers. I’ll take whatever number and composition you are able and willing to recruit. Erekose, if you’re continuing, you might think about swapping out Telebryn with your barbarian, who I understand is in the Inn. That would probably help party balance.

I’ll post XP and Treasure in the next post after I review my notes a bit, but you’re all definitely 2nd level, so you can start working up your PCs. Beyond that, I was hoping one of you would volunteer to write something up about this adventure for Volidar’s Tales of ENworld. I think some history of your activities here would be useful for your own review, as well as for any companions who join you in the future (I’m already plotting M3!). As you might have guessed, the history &/or current events of Monemvassia are relevant to the plotline.

Feel free to post again in this thread if you want to clarify your goals, discuss your recruiting strategy or whatever.

Manzanita

First Post
Rewards

Reward Post

Experience Points
1800 3 hobgoblins, 3 goblins (had some help from Flavius)
300 Encounter w/Grendil at gate
100 hobgoblin interrogation
1200 4 1st level NPCs MTGers (w/help from Jezibel)
300 encounter w/city guards and capt benjamin (or Jezibel for Irene)
300 Irene's escape
600 Final confrontation w/Jezibel
300 ghoul encounter

4900 subtotal
1225 per person
500 100 XPs per person/per month; game started about 04/01/04
100 general RP bonus (good job, guys)
1825 For Irene
300 Search for Irene (excludes Irene)
1925 for Nurlan, Telebryn and Charlyn

I thought Irene was roleplayed very well (she's an ornery one, isn't she), but she was inactive for a period where the others were active, so I thought it only fair to give the others some more XP for that time.

As for treasure,
120 bounty on goblins and hobgoblins killed/captured in scene 1
4 1 gp each from Kim Tensil for guard work
-60 bail for Telebryn, Nurlan, and Charlyn
-3 bribe from Nurlan to barkeep at One owl
10.61 gold from goblins and hobgoblins
-1 Charlyn barkeep bribe

70.61 GP total 17gp, 6 sp & 5 cp each

Also, Nurlan, Charlyn, and Telebryn gained:
light warhorse with saddle, bridle, saddlebags and leather barding.

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
Thanks, Manzanita, for an excellent game. I love a good mystery with pieces that fit together nicely.

I'll have my updated Nurlan ready for posting very soon. Some time this weekend Nurlan will show up at the Red Dragon Inn, ready to introduce himself, share some song and drink with the newcomers, and pitch our quest. Let's say we all arrange an in-game time and day to meet there (we don't need to co-ordinate out-of-game, since with the pace of PbP we'll all be coming and going several times during the course of the introductory conversation).

BTW, Nurlan is hoping Tenebrynn will teach him the rudiments of the goblin language, since it's actually one he doesn't know yet. On the ride back, in between songs (for how else would Nurlan keep himself occupied and friends entertained on a ride?) he'll ask for a little tutoring.

As for Volidar's Tales, I could write up an account if nobody else wants to. I suppose, since I play the bard, the tale is most likely to be recorded in my character's voice, but if anyone else is particularly eager to tell the story that's fine with me.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases