Sins of Our Fathers II - New Art Uploaded - 1/25

Old One

First Post
Welcome Back!

D -

Good to see you back...

Wow. Different Worlds, that's going back aways. I have the premiere issue :p!

Guess that means I have really long teeth!

~ Old One

Lela

First Post
* The module will feature that charming demon known as Ippizicus Child-Eater who, it might be added, is currently scheduled to be the star of the next The Bachelor.
Well, personally, I was getting sick of those kind, in shape, humaniods they keep putting on. I only worry about all those who have to vie for his affection. Really, what does a child eating demon look for in a woman? Youth?

Welcome back Destan! And congratulations on your gaming success. When you're a millionare, remember that I not only have problems with spelling but also love Alienware.com computers. ;)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Would it be a big spoiler to reveal who eventually becomes a covenguard?

For that matter, does anyone else take a prestige class later on, or is there only the one prestige class available to them?

thebitdnd

First Post
WizarDru said:
Would it be a big spoiler to reveal who eventually becomes a covenguard?

I don't think it's a much of a spoiler to say that Kellus will eventually become a Covenguard. I wrote his background with the intention of eventually taking the class. There are others who eventually take it, but it's much further down the road. If anything, it gave Destan a few more plot threads to weave into an already intricate cloth. The prerequisites for the PrC are most easily met by Clerics and Paladins, so it kind of made sense for Kellus to be the first one to go down that road. Kellus' induction into the ranks of the Covenguard is coming soon in the story hour.

WizarDru said:
For that matter, does anyone else take a prestige class later on, or is there only the one prestige class available to them?

When we were playing 3.0, all the splat books and FRCS were in play with Destan's approval. Eventually, you will see other prestige classes come into play. After the switch to 3.5, we decided to limit the class selection to the Core Rulebooks, though previously selected PrCs were grandfathered in for those characters. With enough persuasion, Destan stills considers classes and rules from non-core books as long as they're balanced and don't eat up too much time around the table.

omrob

First Post
Snikkkt

Caught up with another fine story hour. Read through all of your great material, and finished it last week. Keep on writin, not everyone can be pleased at the same time with the same story. I run a very grim OldWorld WFRP game, and am inspired by your excellent talents at putting your PC's in the moral VISE.

Just been waitin for a good time to say...Gracias...and

*BUMP*

Greyhawk_DM

First Post
WOW!
I can't believe this story hour has been here so long and I only came upon it yesterday.
I have been archiving the story as I have read it. Something as good as this would be such a waste to lose.
Page Count so far: 250 pages. WOW!!!

Destan: 3 Questions
1.) Would love to see more of your "in game" info. For example game stats on the dwarven crossbows.
3.) How have you modified some of the 3.0|3.5 edition rules to fit your campaign.
2.) How long have you been running or creating this campaign? The depth that you bring to the gameworld and the NPC's is breathtaking.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Old One said:
Wow. Different Worlds, that's going back aways. I have the premiere issue...Guess that means I have really long teeth!

I would expect nothing less from the boards' resident Geezer. :)

omrob said:
I run a very grim OldWorld WFRP game...

WFRP = Warhammer, right? I always was interested in Warhammer, but never got a chance to play it regularly. Maladrac (John of Pell's player) loved and played WFRP quite a bit back in the day, if I recall correctly. Glad to have you on board.

Greyhawk DM said:
Page Count so far: 250 pages. WOW!!!

Greyhawk - did you happen to save them as Word files? If so, I'd love to have a copy of them. I have tried to save many of the updates, but some of my Word versions are not fully edited (as are the post online). I think a couple other folks have archived them as well so, if it's a pain, no sweat. I just need to get off my rocker and get them from someone.

Destan: 3 Questions

1.) Would love to see more of your "in game" info. For example game stats on the dwarven crossbows.
3.) How have you modified some of the 3.0|3.5 edition rules to fit your campaign.
2.) How long have you been running or creating this campaign? The depth that you bring to the gameworld and the NPC's is breathtaking.

1.) I have the xbow stats in the supplement, so I'm uncertain if I'm able to post them here. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to publishing agreements. If I'm able to post 'em, I will. I will say that they aren't too dang different than a heavy crossbow, so I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction. :)

3.) Hmm...well, I think we play a pretty straight-forward by-the-rules 3.5 campaign. As Kellus' player mentioned (thebitdnd), we opted to drop many of the supplemental/extra rules after 3.5 came out. I was finding that there were just too many feats, spells, PrC's, etc. to monitor (read: ensure balance). We do have a couple house rules, but nothing flashy. I could post them, in their entirety, if you (or anyone else) were interested. I would like to add that there's quite a bit in Unearthed Arcana that appeals to me - in the Next Campaign, I intend to branch out from the core rules a bit more.

2.) How long has it been? I guess the kernels of the world first popped up back in, oh, 1987. We used to play in Kellus' basement on an old pool table. When his parents were breaking down the pool table to throw it out, I had Kellus keep a scrap of the surface for me. We had hand-drawn a hex grid on to it, and even added some (poor) artwork around the edges.

It's easier to use character names, so: Kellus, John of Pell, and Raylin were part of the original group back in '87. They didn't really know me, so I had to convince (read: beg) them to let me give DMing a try. They had their own campaigns/groups/DM's, and I was a newcomer (on the D&D front, anyway).

John's brother later joined us (and some other guys that no longer play); he is now a player in the Sins campaign, but his character has yet to be introduced.

I met Amelyssan at college and got to know him really well in flight school. He started gaming with me on Session I of the current campaign, though we had done some computer stuff together prior to that (Diablo, mainly). Vath is my brother-in-law; he joined at the same time Amelyssan did.

That leaves only Baden. It's a bit of a interesting/ironic story, and shows that a lasting, solid roleplaying relationship can exist where you least expect it. We (my family) were new to the area and my wife met Baden's wife. One day my wife was complaining how her husband "never kicked his D&D habit" and planned on having a "bunch of guys over to our house for the weekend to drink beer and roll dice". Baden's wife's eyes widened (I would imagine), as Baden had just moved to the area as well and greatly missed his original D&D group. So, my wife told me about it and I - being the incredibly nice guy I am - told my wife to tell Baden's that he should hop over and join us.

Looking back on it, it was quite a risk to bring in an unknown cat into a well-established group for what would be a marathon session. I figured Baden would feel uncomfortable getting an invite second- or third-hand, so I called him. He showed up on my doorstep about 1/2 hour before we were set to start. We gave him a crash course on our system (it was entirely homebrewed that time, as Baden hadn't introduced us to 3E) and, well...needless to say, it's worked out amazingly well.

I'll post something else when the time is right regarding the whole campaign world and the upcoming supplement, but suffice to say - it's not "my" world. It's "ours". And by "ours" I mean the players listed above, those who have played and no longer do, and readers of these very boards. Wizardru and Dravot have been incredibly helpful molding this homebrewed world into something fit for publication. Old One helped out like a champ. Pogre and Piratecat gave me encouragement when this tale was in its infancy, and Sepulchrave's kind words acted as an immense "pimp" for other readers to give this story a whirl. Hypersmurf was my rules lawyer. And there are others - many of them - and I tried to credit each and every one of them in the supplement.

That said, I think what enables this story hour to keep going and what garnered the interest of my publisher/editor was folks like you. Readers who post, comment, critique, and question.

I'm in your debt.

D

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
Can't wait for that to come out. I'll streach my wallet for it.

I'd just like to reiterate something I said back in June last year:

Lela said:
It's always surprised me that so many stunning writers are in the Story Hour section while I'm forced to wade through the masses of FR, DL, and misc authors--who somehow support themselves on drivil--in search of something worthwile to read while not on the internet.
I'm glad you went for it, got the dream, and are now putting out an actual print book. I knew you could do it from day one Destan. I'm so glad you did.

Last edited:

Darklone

Lela said:
I'm glad you went for it, got the dream, and are now putting out an actual print book. I knew you could do it from day one Destan. I'm so glad you did.
Now all we need is a Faded Glory campaign setting. Black and red. Box perhaps. Kewl maps with handwritten look. Not too exact. Inane scribblings everywhere.

And Old Ones phonenumber for emergencies :D

We need a RBDM hotline!

Remove ads