Pendragon

S'mon

Legend
Re: Re: Re: Pendragon

mmadsen said:

I enjoyed the art quite a bit, and I found it quite atmospheric -- but I'm not in England.

The art's not bad, but clearly somewhat budget-limited. Pendragon is clearly a very impressive piece of work, but perhaps not quite as breathtaking as I had expected.

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Oh, mmadsen, I agree with you. I love the various Pendragon adventures. I use them all, really! I just wish they would do more of them!:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Good to have a few other Pendragon fans around--I don't often get a chance to exchange ideas with any. So, while we've got this thread going, I thought I might get your opinions on a few things--and maybe hear how you've approached things :)...

Shields:

*Subtract rating from damage BEFORE figuring Knockdown--this represents the ability to partially deflect, rather than simply absorb, a blow.

*Sacrifice shield--the shield blocks twice its usual rating in damage, but is riven in the process.

Weapons:

*Mace(option I)--Chain Armour provides 3 or 4 fewer points of protection (-3/-4 AP). It just never made sense to me that a mace would also be more effective at knocking down a foe in chainmail (in addition to the increased armour penetration).

*Mace(option II)--A mace does an additional 1d6 damage for purposes of Knockdown only (this option simulates the impact/stun effect often associated with maces).

*Axes--Shields are at -3 or -4 AP. This also serves to make shield sacrifices more common versus axes.

*Flails--Combine the attributes of axes and maces, but fumble on a "1".

*Hammers/Picks--Plate Armour is at -3 or -4 AP.

*Quarterstaff--3 APs on a partial success (to represent its ability to parry; not reduced by axes), -1d6 damage.

*Daggers--I like the new rule in the Book of Knights that allows them to sometimes ignore armour.

*Greatspear--I think they mistakenly gave this a +1d6 damage in the Book of Knights.

Berserk Attack vs Defense:

*I ignore the rule in the latest editions that treats this as a normal resolution, and instead allow the defender an unopposed roll at +10 weapon skill (with normal damage being done only on a critical success) before the berserk strikes--if the berserker survives he then makes the standard unopposed strike at +10. Without this change a berserk attack would almost never have an effect different from a normal one, since the foe would usually simply choose to defend versus a known berserk.

That's it for now; there are a few more things, but this should get the ball rolling...

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Is there any difference between the various editions of Pendragon? I know a store in my area that has all the older editions still shrinkwrapped... None of the Green Knight versions.

Which are the best books to get if you don't want to run their rules (except traits and passions, etc.), but want background setting/adventure material?

Green Knight

First Post
Hmm. I've never heard of this game, though it sounds pretty damn good. And I've always been a fan of the Arthurian legends. Hell, just look at my name. Is this an old out of print game, or is it still being published? And if so, are there any plans to do a D20 version? D20 has spoiled me and now I'm to lazy to learn a new system. :p

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's actually somewhat close to d20. It's based on the BRP system, but it based around a d20, not a d100. So the net effect is that it's a lot like d20 in some ways. At least superficially.

It's still being published, but it doesn't exactly have a lot of support. Expect a product or so a year...

Green Knight

First Post
Well, at least it's easy on the wallet. ;)

I like that sacrifice shield and axe rule, though. I know I'd like that level of detail in D&D. Maybe something along the lines of letting someone double their shield AC bonus, but when they do the enemy attacks counts as a hit against their shield. As if the enemy were attacking the shield, only you don't get an AoO. You get an extra high AC bonus, but eventually your enemy will destroy your shield and you won't have an AC bonus at all. Hmm. I'm gonna be hocking my Palladium collection, soon. Maybe with the cash I'll get from that I'll buy some of these Pendragon books.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I doubt it will ever be a d20 game.

Remember wizards can cast one or two spells a game, tops. If they overcast they start to age or they are forced into slumber.

You'd have to make a whole new set of attributes for personality traits.

Players would be forbidden from using half the skills.

You don't gain exp, you gain glory. So it doesn't matter if you kill a troll if you kill it while it sleeps or something. In D&D sneaking up on things is considered an alternate way to solve a problem. In Pendragon that is cowardly, so you get nothing.

Each adventure lasts one season. There is a "winter phase" where the characters are expected to do little else but heal.

Minor magic items break all the time in Pendragon. A +1 lance or sword may simply not get used unless there is a crisis.

The list goes on. It isn't a d20 friendly game. OGL maaaaybe. But not d20.

Green Knight--

Basic task resolution couldn't be simpler--roll less than or equal to your skill or the difficulty, and you succeed.

For combat, a couple additional levels of success are added--you and your foe each roll a d20 and compare the results to your respective skills.

If a skill is greater than 20, it is considered to be equal to 20, and the excess is added to the d20 roll--20 is the maximum that can be scored (for example, a knight with a sword skill of 25 would roll d20+5, and a die roll of 15-20 would be considered a 20).

Critical Success: A roll equal to your skill (so the knight in the example above would critical on a roll of 15-20).

Tie: Your successful roll equals your foe's successful roll; SWORD BREAKS NON-SWORD; NO DAMAGE.

Success: A roll less than your skill (normally automatic for the knight in the above example), AND greater than foe's successful roll.

Partial Success: A roll less than your skill, BUT less than your foe's successful roll.

Failure: A roll greater than your skill (not possible for the knight in the above example, unless circumstances reduce his skill).

Fumble: DROP WEAPON on a roll of natural 20, IF your adjusted skill is not 20 or greater (so the knight above could not normally fumble).

COMBAT RESULTS

Crit vs Crit: No damage; Sword breaks non-sword.

Crit vs Fail/Fumble: Double damage to foe; Foe's shield ignored.

Crit vs Success/Partial: Double damage to foe; Foe's shield added to armour.

Success vs Fail/Fumble: Normal damage to foe; Foe's shield ignored.

Success vs Partial: Normal damage to foe; Foe's shield added to armour.

Partial vs Success: Suffer normal damage; add shield to armour.

Fail/Fumble vs Success: Suffer normal damage; may not add shield to armour.

Partial vs Crit: Suffer double damage; add shield to armour.

Fail/Fumble vs Crit: Suffer double damage; may not add shield to armour.

MISC...

--Damage is based on STR/SIZ, and consists of multiple d6 (3-4d6 for an average man with a sword; knights typically average one die more).

--Armour reduces damage (a mail hauberk absorbs 10pts per blow).

--A typical knight's shield grants an additional 6pts of armour protection when successfuly deployed.

--HPs equal SIZ+CON

--Knockdown: If damage (before reduction for armour) is equal to or greater than SIZ, roll vs DEX or fall down.

--Auto-Knockdown: If damage (before reduction for armour) is double or more your SIZ, you are automatically knocked down.

--Unconscious at HP/4

--Major Wound: Damage (after reduction for armour) greater than or equal to your CON.

--When fighting multiple foes, you may split your weapon skill amongst them in any manner you see fit. If no weapon skill is applied versus a given foe, he may make an un-opposed skill roll (i.e. any roll less than or equal to his skill succeeds, and you may not add your shield to your armour).

Well, that's it in a nutshell. Of course, there are many other options that modify this--feinting, defending, evading, dodging, relative height, etc...

Hope this serves to whet your appetite :)

Last edited:

mmadsen

First Post
Which are the best books to get if you don't want to run their rules (except traits and passions, etc.), but want background setting/adventure material?

The main rulebook contains lots of background material; it's a 352 page book with a Game Mechanics chapter of about 50 pages. The whole rulebook drips with flavor and background information.

If you want further background info on noble life, you can pick up Lordly Domains. If you want background info on Arthur's life, you can pick up The Boy King. If you want adventures, you can pick up any of the Tales of... books. If you want background info on specific cultures (along with scenarios), you can pick up Blood & Lust, Beyond the Wall, or Saxons!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases