Pendragon

Maerdwyn said:
It was stated above that Wizards are the greatest beneficiaries of the winter phase, but I think it benefits another group even more: villains. A villain who escapes from the party can use the winter to lick his wounds, make plans for his revenge using their knowledge of the party, and acquiring magic items that can exploit the party's weaknesses. Villains based underground, underwater, or on another plane, where winter's effects are less severe, benefit from the winter phase by acting normally while the rest of the world slows down.

Excellent point!

I can envision the tension now, the PCs pursue the evil high priest into the mountain passes as winter closes in. The PC's hirelings start drifting away, yet the PCs know they must finish the villain now, lest he come back stronger than ever in the spring. Do they press on alone, or do they return to hearth and home? They return...

Imagine the nervousness of the PCs as they wait, with growing trepidation, his expected return. Magic is acquired, defenses are strengthened, troops are hired, and...

...nothing!

It seems the evil high priest has bigger fish to fry ;)

Oh, and another reminder that we're discussing some alignment rules over at...

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&postid=133674#post133674

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
I read somewhere that Green Knight was against doing Pendragon as d20, which is a mistake. They could easily release a d20 conversion manual or book and keep the Chaosium system for other releases. Chaosium's system seems to be a "Sacred Cow" for them, which seems ironic, given that it was originally devised for Runequest, and has since been used for Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer, Ringworld, and a few other games lost to antiquity. The stuff that makes Pendragon unique is fairly easily portable to other systems - which we've seen right here on this thread.

When the 3e/d20/OGL first came out, I asked Peter Corless on the mailing list if he thought a Pendragon d20 would be a good idea. I didn't get a very positive reply ;)

He didn't think that it would draw many "new" players but I figured that it was better that GKP be the guys to made a d20 King Arthur game than some body else. Oh well, better late than never.

I wish I had an archive of that conversation. It was a long time ago.

Aaron

mmadsen

First Post
When the 3e/d20/OGL first came out, I asked Peter Corless on the mailing list if he thought a Pendragon d20 would be a good idea. I didn't get a very positive reply ;)

He didn't think that it would draw many "new" players but I figured that it was better that GKP be the guys to made a d20 King Arthur game than some body else. Oh well, better late than never.

I'm starting to think that d20 anything will sell well if it's a decent product. People love mixing and matching rules with D&D. Look at how many people want d20 Call of Cthulhu just to scare their D&D players!

Remove ads