Wealth System Fix?

C. Baize

First Post
Fixing the Wealth System in D20 Modern​

The D20 Modern Wealth System is flawed. It is worse than flawed, it is broken. Here is how to fix the Wealth System, without scrapping it.

What does Wealth actually represent?
On the surface, the Wealth System represents pure buying power. It goes a bit deeper than that, though. The Wealth System represents your spending capacity +20, if you're willing to take the Wealth hit. But, more than that, it represents what your character is worth financially.

How can I fix the Wealth System without scrapping it for my game?
The first thing to do is to decide what is right for your group. I suggest that the Wealth System represents spending power within a particular time frame. A renewable source of income. Be it within a week, every two weeks, or a month (though I wouldn't suggest going over a month).
This will result in one extra bit of bookkeeping, however, a "Current Wealth" score. This "Current Wealth" will increase and decrease, like keeping track of dollars, with only a chance of affecting your "Permanent Wealth" score.
When making purchases, you can go over your Current Wealth score by dipping into your Permanent Wealth, this will have the effect of lowering your Permanent Wealth until the next period, by the amount it was lowered. By every 4 points by which you dip into your Permanent Wealth, it will be permanently lowered by 1. Conversely, you can "buy" Permanent Wealth at a cost of 4 points of Current Wealth for 1 point of Permanent Wealth. This indicates using current wealth to purchase dividends or some such, that pays out, in a structured manner.
Now. What to do with the bookkeeping. Work out with the GM, your "living expenses" and subtract that from your Permanent Wealth, every period (this represents food, rent, mortgage, vehicle payments, insurance, and all that other day to day crap that we just don't want to deal with, in game). What's left represents your excess. Add that to your Current Wealth (whatever's left) at the end of each period. It's as simple as that.

What are the actual game mechanics, here?
Permanent Wealth = your beginning Wealth score + Permanent Wealth purchased with the expenditure of Current Wealth points.
Current Wealth = Wealth gained at levels, through adventuring, and excess Permanent Wealth per period.
Subtract the items' wealth DC directly from the Current Wealth score, possibly dipping into the Permanent Wealth score, and possibly lowering the Permanent Wealth.

What are the advantages of using this system?
D20 Modern gamers get to keep track of wealth per purchase, and have the capacity for their characters to truly increase their wealth scores by modern means, with an income, and a representation of dividends/stocks/interest/whatever.

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Isn't this what the system already does, and does without the headaches?

Wealth, as it is, represents the character's current financial ability/stability. For the sake of convenience, speed, and simplicity it doesn't bother with Current/Permanent/Weekly/Monthly/Stocks/Rent/Car Payments/Cigarette Cash ...

Purchases that won't unduly inhibit the character's financial ability/stability don't affect their "Wealth" score (things beneath the score). Things that will affect their buying power for the "week/month/year" hit their Wealth score (1, 1d6+1). To keep from fiddling about with numbers, Wealth goes up when you level or when you get an award. Why? Because it's easier than balancing my checkbook and my character's.

You open with a blanket claim (the Wealth system is "broken", beyond "flawed"). Your warrant for the claim is wholley non-existant. By laying such a strong claim, with no warrant to back it up, you're alienating a large audience from the starting pistol.

From there you're basically explaining what every single other person with a beef with the Wealth system has said: "Wealth is weird, we should make it more real by keeping track of ___________." The whole reason behind the Wealth system was to eliminate this headache ... by opening the door to "keeping track of" things like rent/car payments and dividends/credit/stocks/mortgage loans I feel you're actually welcoming far more "broken" behavior in short order (the always-popular "I'll be homeless and ride a bike and crash at other PCs' houses and invest all of my money ... now I'll liquidate all my finances and buy that M1 Abrhams"). The modern economic system is so complex that to implement it in a game more or less neccessitates massive abstraction for the sake of playability. ... That or a good knowledge of tax laws, economics, and several spreadsheets for accounting.

So if it's going to be abstracted anyway, why make it more complex than it's presented? As a house rule, sure. Everybody has their house rules that makes THEIR game more fun for them to play. As to fixing a percieved problem in the system, I don't see where this really fixes anything other than having too much free time.

--fje

Staffan

Legend
The only fix I feel that the Wealth system needs is to remove the automatic Wealth hit for buying something with DC 15+. I mean, if I'm the Sultan of Brunei with Wealth +500, I can buy as many Glocks as I pretty darn well please.

C. Baize

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
If I'm going to read your "fix" you have to convince me that it is needed.

So.... you didn't read the thing... but you did reply to it?
Do you have a habit of replying to posts you didn't read?
If so.... why? Post count fluffing?

And if you did read it.... why act as if you haven't?
Your post really doesn't make sense... If it's JUST to slam me... well... okay. I can dig that.
But, you are indicating that you didn't even read the post (as I made no attempt to convince you that it was broken, simply stating my opinion that it is so), but you are replying anyway.
I don't get it.

But, hey... to each their own.

C. Baize

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
Isn't this what the system already does, and does without the headaches?

Nope. It doesn't. At least in my opinion.

HeapThaumaturgist said:
As a house rule, sure. Everybody has their house rules that makes THEIR game more fun for them to play.

Precisely what I'm sharing.
And if it makes one other group's game more fun, then it's served its purpose.

It's what I like about message boards... the free exchange of ideas.
You don't dig my idea. That's cool. Don't use it.
No harm.
No foul.

C. Baize

First Post
Staffan said:
The only fix I feel that the Wealth system needs is to remove the automatic Wealth hit for buying something with DC 15+. I mean, if I'm the Sultan of Brunei with Wealth +500, I can buy as many Glocks as I pretty darn well please.

Right... look at what I've done. :)
Your current wealth score indicates how much you've got on hand.
You can dip into your permanent wealth to grab stuff that you need, but can't afford with what you've got on hand. The more permanent wealth you buy, the better off you'll be in the long run, but you can use it to build up your current wealth, and buy as many Glocks as you can afford, and next week, your current wealth is building up, again. :)

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Hey buddy, I think he's just trying to say that, its ok to post your house rule, but not ok to say the original rule is broken without illustrating why.

C. Baize

First Post
Enh... I'm an opinionated bastich. I don't really feel the need to go into a long discourse about WHY I think it's busted. People that think it's busted can look at my fix and use it or not.. Either way, no harm, no foul. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases