[Maximized, Chained] Ray of Enfeeblement

Felix

Explorer
This is a 7th level spell.

It imposes a -11 penalty to STR (not below 1) on everyone it hits, no save.

It strikes the primary target, then arcs (automatically hitting?) to a whole bunch of other targets within 30' that also get a -11 to STR, no save.

This isn't a "is it broken" question, I just thought it was neat. How do you fellas think this stacks up with mass-deabilitating 7th level spells?

Sejs

First Post
I would kinda assume that because you have to hit with the primary ray, you'd have to hit with the secondary rays as well.

All in all though, nice.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm away from my Tome and Blood.

But firstly, don't all secondary targets of a Chained spell get a Reflex negates or something?

And secondly, doesn't it only work on Targeted spells? Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't have a Target, it has an Effect.

-Hyp.

Eraslin

First Post
My understanding is that you cannot chain ray spells. They have to have a single target.

9th level spell: chained disintegrate... yuck...

-Eraslin

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Liquidsabre said:
Spells that are chained also deal half the damage...so that would be -5 Str to everyone within 30ft.

Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't deal damage; it inflicts a penalty. What does Chain Spell do in the case of non-damage numeric effects?

-Hyp.

reiella

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Ray of Enfeeblement doesn't deal damage; it inflicts a penalty. What does Chain Spell do in the case of non-damage numeric effects?

-Hyp.

The DC is reduced by 4 for spells that don't deal damage.

Ironically this better benefits the new 'Save of Massive Damage' Disintegrate example someone made earlier (since the spell now deals half Massive Damage instead of a reduced save).

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
reiella said:
Ironically this better benefits the new 'Save of Massive Damage' Disintegrate example someone made earlier (since the spell now deals half Massive Damage instead of a reduced save).

Except that Disintegrate is not a spell that specifies a single target; it is a spell that produces an effect.

-Hyp.

reiella

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
Except that Disintegrate is not a spell that specifies a single target; it is a spell that produces an effect.

-Hyp.

Bah, I didn't even bother to check (or even compare the old one) :p.

Are there any Save or Massive Damage spells that are targeted (and not by Ray)?

Finger of Death seems to be a fair consideration, but it doesn't "Deal damage" as its primary effect.

Last edited:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Eraslin said:
My understanding is that you cannot chain ray spells. They have to have a single target.

Which is what a Ray does - target a single creature or object.

"You can chain any spell that specifies a single target and has a range greater than touch." T&B p. 39

I believe rays fall into this category. They hit a single target and have a range greater than touch.

[EDIT] Another thing. You can chain lightning bolt, and that is a line area of effect spell. At least I assume you can chain lightning bolt, since the 6th level Chain Lightning spell is what the Chain Spell metamagic was based upon. And if you can chain a line, you certainly should be able to chain a ray.

Last edited:

Remove ads