Sorcerer Fix - Continued from "D&D Rules" (PART 4)

Khaalis

Adventurer
Since the last thread has yet again reached far too many pages to bring in many readers much less posters, I am taking others' recommendations and splitting off to this new Thread to begin anew, once again.

The older threads can be found here:
Class Imbalance?: http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75827
Sorcerer Fix - Continued from "D&D Rules": http://www.enworld.org/forums/showt...5939
Sorcerer Fix - Continued from "D&D Rules" (PART 2): http://www.enworld.org/forums/showt...31
Sorcerer Fix - Continued from "D&D Rules" (PART 3): http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=78851

Thread Mission Statement:
To create a dynamic and appealing version of the sorcerer class that:
A) Makes a sorcerer class mechanic that Matches the Flavor Text as designated in the PHB.
B) Balances the class to the existing core classes of the PHB, while making the class a harder choice to abandon to a PrC at the earliest convenience.
C) Make the sorcerer a unique class with its own class abilities that separate it from being a Wizard that prepares spells differently.
D) Could be used as a substitute for the core sorcerer of the PHB, thus following a similar design template such as fixed skill lists and class abilities.
E) Present further Optional information to advance and customize the sorcerer.

Summary to Date
It has been discussed, ad nauseum, and determined that many feel that the sorcerer is overall, underpowered in comparison to the other base classes. It is also known that the sorcerer Flavor Text and sorcerer mechanics have little to do with one another. The flavor text is Non-OGL and has survived various development revisions pre-3.0 release, 3.0 release, 3.0 errata, 3.5 revision, and 3.5 errata. The flavor text of the sorcerer is here to stay. The purpose of this thread is to make a class mechanic that matches that flavor text and uses it to define what the sorcerer is and should be. There is also the need to make the sorcerer into a unique class and not just a wizard that prepares spells differently. The sorcerer needs to find its own niche and strength as a class, not just to be the equivalent of a Hedge Wizard.

With that said, here is where we are to date after 19 thread pages and over 410 posts later.

UPDATES

SORCERER REVISION UPDATE 4.04
SORCERER REVISION UPDATE 7.04

The PDF version of the work-in-progress to date is located at:

{Edit: Currently the Site is down due to a change in residence/account. If you want the file, just PM or email me.}

Further comment and discussion is looked forward to.

Thanks for all your support.
-Khaalis

Last edited:

JimAde

First Post
Wow! Great job to Khaalis and everybody else who contributed. My current group is without an arcane spell-caster, so I think they'll be getting a lieage sorcerer NPC :)

One comment: The PDF includes the OGL, but I noticed the lineage spell lists include non-OGC spell names (Bigby's Clenched Fist instead of Clenched Fist, etc.) A minor point, but if you want to be proper Open Content...

Thanks for all the work!

Khaalis

Adventurer
Thanks for the Technical OGL catch. As I am not a publisher I am not as up on the whole legal issues thing as much as I probably should be. I knew it had to be included though since this is "distribution" even if not-for-sale.

Thanks again!

Fieari

Explorer
Absolutely wonderful. My only complaint is that some of the paragraphs are rather long, and the space between lines is rather small. I like a little bit more white on my page, just for readability's sake. Of course, that means more pages, but how much would that really hurt?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Fieari said:
Absolutely wonderful. My only complaint is that some of the paragraphs are rather long, and the space between lines is rather small. I like a little bit more white on my page, just for readability's sake. Of course, that means more pages, but how much would that really hurt?
Email me and I can do up a custom version for you via email (if you cant edit it yourself).

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The weaving and unweaving rules allow mid to high level sorcerers to recharge spell slots with a few hours of meditation. Is this a bug or a feature?

Weaving: To weave a higher-level spell-slot, a sorcerer must
sacrifice a number of spell slots equal to the intended spell level +2.
Thus to weave a 5th level spell, requires 7 spell levels (a 4th and a
3rd, 2 3rd and a 1st etc.). Casting a spell as a woven spell-slot is a
full-round action that provokes an attack of opportunity normally.

Unweaving: The sorcerer can spend 15 minutes in meditation
and preparation to recharge lower level spell slots by unweaving
higher level spell-slots. The sorcerer may sacrifice spell-slots to
recharge two spells of the next lower spell level. Thus unweaving a
5th level spell recharges two 4th level spells. Newly created spell-
slots may not be sacrificed in the same unweaving. Thus if the
sorcerer wanted to again unweave a newly created spell-slot would
require another 15 minute meditation period. The caster may never
have more recharged spell-slots at a given time than the maximum
spells per day for that spell level allowed by their level.

A 10th level sorcerer has used up all her spell slots except one 3rd and one 4th level spell slot. These she weaves together to make a 5th level spell slot. She then unweaves the 5th level spell slot to make two 4th level spell slots. She unweaves one of the 4th level spell slots to make two 3rd level spell slots. Now she has two 3rd level spell slots and one 4th level spell slot. She has used 45 minutes of meditation to restore a 3rd level spell slot.

Is this correct?

Khaalis

Adventurer
Cheiromancer said:
The weaving and unweaving rules allow mid to high level sorcerers to recharge spell slots with a few hours of meditation. Is this a bug or a feature?

A 10th level sorcerer has used up all her spell slots except one 3rd and one 4th level spell slot. These she weaves together to make a 5th level spell slot. She then unweaves the 5th level spell slot to make two 4th level spell slots. She unweaves one of the 4th level spell slots to make two 3rd level spell slots. Now she has two 3rd level spell slots and one 4th level spell slot. She has used 45 minutes of meditation to restore a 3rd level spell slot.

Is this correct?

Good questions! Thanks for asking.

1) This is not a bug. This is an "Optional Rule" that would increase the versatility of the class to make them seem more free-form without going to a Spell-Point system and that introduces a fair cost to the versatility. It was included as an "Option" for those that wanted to use the system, and something that could be ignored by those that do not.

2) Weaving a higher level spell to unweave more lower level spells is incorrect. You cannot weave a higher level spell to unweave into lower spells. Weaving specifically states that it is at at-the-time action. Weaving is casting a spell as a Full-Round action. Once you weave its gone, used. You cannot weave a higher level spell-slot for later use.

Thus, no... you cannot weave a 3rd + 4th to get a 5th, then unweave the 5th into 2 4th (thus cheaply converting a 3rd to a 4th).

What the caster could do is this:
1) Keep their 3rd and 4th level spell slots for later use.
2) Weave a 5th level spell leaving them with 0 spells left for the day.
3) Unweave from 0/0/0/1/1.

a) With 15 minutes meditation they could:
* Unweave the 4th level spell slot to gain 2 3rd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/0/3/0.
OR
* Unweave the 3rd level spell slot to gain 2 2nd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/2/0/1.

b) With 30 minutes meditation they could:
* Unweave the 4th level spell slot to gain 2 3rd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/0/3/0 then unweave a 3rd level spell slot bringing them to 0/0/2/2/0.
OR
* Unweave the 3rd level spell slot to gain 2 2nd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/2/0/1 then unweave a 2nd level spell slot bringing them to 0/2/1/0/1.

c) With 45 minutes meditation they could:
* Unweave the 4th level spell slot to gain 2 3rd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/0/3/0 then unweave a 3rd level spell slot bringing them to 0/0/2/2/0 then unweave another 3rd level spell slot bringing them to 0/0/4/1/0.
.....OR
* Unweave the 4th level spell slot to gain 2 3rd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/0/3/0 then unweave a 3rd level spell slot bringing them to 0/0/2/2/0 then unweave another 2nd level spell slot bringing them to 0/2/1/2/0.

OR

* Unweave the 3rd level spell slot to gain 2 2nd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/2/0/1 then unweave a 2nd level spell slot bringing them to 0/2/1/0/1 then unweave another 2nd level spell slot bringing them to 0/4/0/0/1.
.....OR
* Unweave the 3rd level spell slot to gain 2 2nd level spell slots bringing them to 0/0/2/0/1 then unweave a 2nd level spell slot bringing them to 0/2/1/0/1 then unweave a 1st level spell slot bringing them to 2/1/1/0/1.

etc.

Remember that for each 15 minutes only one spell slot can be unwoven.

Hope that adequately answers your questions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases