Checking to make sure PC magickers don't alter spell picks during game?

Driddle

First Post
How many DMs out there are checking their players' character sheets during the game to make sure spellcasters aren't fixing their spell picks as they move through an adventure?

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I do spot checks from time to time, not necessarily saying that's what I am doing it for. Sometimes when the person goes to the bathroom I'll check as well.

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
People do that? :\

I mean, I guess it could happen, but I can't imagine it personally, from either side of the question. I can't imagine doing it as a player, and I can't imagine caring enough as a DM to want to keep track of it myself...honestly, I'm kept busy enough just keeping track of all the other crap in the game.

--
i think i'd just feel sorry for anyone who worries about this sort of thing
ryan

Last edited:

orchid blossom

Explorer
I play a sorcerer, so it doesn't really matter. But our DM has a policy that if I haven't used a new spell yet, I can change it out for something else. Once it's been used, I'm stuck with it.

But, we also have an agreement that I won't pick a spell cause I suddenly need it if it's a spell I wouldn't have taken otherwise. For example, I needed dismissal to get rid of a possession, a spell I would never choose as a sorcerer. So I didn't cheese weasel and suddenly have it just cause I hadn't chosen a new 5th level spell yet.

kenjib

First Post
orchid blossom said:
I play a sorcerer, so it doesn't really matter. But our DM has a policy that if I haven't used a new spell yet, I can change it out for something else. Once it's been used, I'm stuck with it.

But, we also have an agreement that I won't pick a spell cause I suddenly need it if it's a spell I wouldn't have taken otherwise. For example, I needed dismissal to get rid of a possession, a spell I would never choose as a sorcerer. So I didn't cheese weasel and suddenly have it just cause I hadn't chosen a new 5th level spell yet.

Would doing something like that be punishment enough in itself? In this case, for example, you've just wasted one of your few sorcerer spell slots on a spell that you'll probably never need again. I like this rule - with cheese weaseling included even!

Your new magical powers awaken within you in time of need...

Mystery Man

First Post
Driddle said:
How many DMs out there are checking their players' character sheets during the game to make sure spellcasters aren't fixing their spell picks as they move through an adventure?
I kicked the guy that was doing that out of my group. Gone, gone, gone for good. He would also yell and piss and moan when a piece of information or description of the environment came down that didnt have any immediate relavance to the campaign. He would pout during combat if things weren't going his way every time, and generally sucked the fun out of the room every time we played because everyone would get uncomfortable. This is exactly the type of person that does what you're asking about. They have no place at my gaming table.

The two magic users I have in my game now, I know for sure that I don't have to check what they're doing.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yeah, I'm with "Eh". If one of my players wants to cheat like that, whatever... that player probably isn't having fun with the game, and will quit soon anyway.

It's not my job to police my players.

-- N

Tortoise

First Post
Index cards are a handy thing.

Put the level of the spell in the corner, the name beneath that, and a few minor details of description including where to find it in the books.

They can make their spell picks and have a card for each they plan to cast (more than one if necessary). The player hands the card in when the character casts the spell.

I did this for the party when running a scenario where things happened out of chronological order and it helped keep them from saying "but I would have used it then ... ". Instead it reflected their choices as deemed appropriate at the time the events really took place. Did the same for potions and scrolls too. It worked out really well.

monkeygrrl

First Post
wow. it just doesn't seem like it would be very fun either to think you had to check up on someone or to be the person being checked up on. I guess in our games we just assume everyone is grown-up enough not to cheat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases