Can you use the appraise skill on a whore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Jester

Legend
Sure, but he'd have to employ her services first.

Also, unless she took 10, he might misappraise her 'value' based on her Profession roll, so it's a lot less precise than appraising an item.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
widderslainte said:
Can you use the appraise skill on a whore?

Of course you can. You just check their teeth like you do a horse.

(I'll leave it to others to determine whether "good teeth" or "no teeth" indicates a high value.)

I suggest Sense Motive or Iajitsu Focus :D

I would consider bad teeth a bad sign. For starters, people are usually attracted to signs of healthiness. Unless you're a cleric you can't cast heal on her either. Second, why can't she afford to get her teeth fixed? No repeat business? A drug problem?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Well, that really gets into objectifying people in the sex industry, doesn't it?
So if you refuse to acknowledge them as a person, but merely as chattle, then maybe? :)

Hmm... for games with slave cultures, you might also consider what it takes for someone to recognize a valuable slave? To carry this on to just how degrading it is, would this be the same skill used to value a horse or a falcon?

Crothian

First Post
Appraise is not used for living things. Appraise doe not work on falcons, horse, people, etc. There really is no skill that covers it, but I use Handle Animal to determine horse value.

Umbrage

First Post
Thanee said:
Appraise
Check: You can appraise common or well-known objects...

So, no, you cannot

On the contrary, they are probably very well-known (in the biblical sense).

Appraise seems like the skill that would most likely apply. I'd add in synergy bonuses for 5 skill ranks in a situationally-related skill.

Trying to establish a price Profession:pimp (also requires a test drive)

Will you need to visit a Cleric later Heal

The price a girl could charge could also be affected by the skills: Balance, Bluff, Disguise (perfecting that enslaved princess look), Escape Artist, Knowledge:(multiple skills here), Knowledge: Religion ("Oh Pelor!!"), Perform (multiple possibilities here), Profession (and here), Ride, Sleight of Hand, Tumble, Use Magic Device (a whole new magic item industry here), and having a high Dexterity/Charisma.

Constitution score would probably dictate working hours.

Less commonly useful: Intimidate and Use Rope, and the exotic weapon proficiencies in the Whip and Spiked Chain.

Although a host of new magic items could be created, the following from the would probably be useful:

Spells/Scrolls/Potions:
Disguise Self
Grease
Mount
Eagle's Splendor
Bear's Endurance
Remove Disease
Magic Mouth
Rope Trick
Tongues
Magic Missile
Summon Instrument
Ironwood
Modify Memory
Dominate Person
Dominate Monster
Magic Weapon (definitely not Magic Fang)
Bless Weapon
Bigby's hand spells
Sympathetic vibration
Clone (can't always find twins)

Ring of Sustenance (only need 2 hours sleep)
Rod of Lordly Might (sounds impressive anyway)
Rod of the Python (description mentions it is longer than normal rods)
Rod of Splendor
Salve of Slipperiness
Amulet of Mighty Fists
Hand of Glory
Portable Hole
Manual of Quickness in Action

Spells/Items not to be used:
Chill Touch
Ray of enfeeblement
Shocking grasp
Warp wood
Shrink Item