Cosmic Entities of the Transitive Planes

Roman

First Post
What are the official (does not have to be 3e or 3.5e) Cosmic Entities of the Transitive Planes? We have the Demon lords for the Abbyss, the Archdevils for the 9 Hells, Elemental Princes for the Elemental planes, etc, etc for just about all planes... except the Transitive Planes (and the Prime Material Plane, of course). Does anyone know whether there are official Cosmic Entities for any of the transitive planes - Ethereal, Astral and Shadow?

Thanks! :cool:

Jolly Giant

First Post
There's no mention of any such entities in neither Manual of the Planes, Epic Level Handbook, Deities & Demi-gods nor any of WotC's monster collections.

The closest thing I can think of is this Vaakith, the Githyanki lich-queen, in the astral plane.

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
There's no mention of any such entities in neither Manual of the Planes, Epic Level Handbook, Deities & Demi-gods nor any of WotC's monster collections.

The new cosmic entity, Lajciak, now claims the transitive planes as his own...

Hmm, are there none in any of the older books either?

Hardhead

Explorer
Jolly Giant said:

The closest thing I can think of is this Vaakith, the Githyanki lich-queen, in the astral plane.

Bzzzzt. You need to expand your serach. He said it doesn't have to be 3e. :) Anubis, if not the master of the Astral, is certainly the God In Charge. He takes up residence there to watch over the corpses of the dead gods, and is hinted to have become Something More since he took up that duty (in additon/instead of being just the Egyptian god of the dead). If you're playing in FR, this can still work pretty easily. There's probably a few Mulhorondians (is that right?) that still worship him. They worship every other Egyptian god.

As for the Ethereal, no, there's no One Big Power. But it's not very transitive anymore, anyway.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I don't know of any, and I go back to 1e.

However, I'd wager your best place to look would be in old Planescape stuff, and I didn't start getting into that stuff until the last few weeks... ironically, now I can't find any of it anywhere.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
One possibility is the Scarred Lands' Demigoddess of Shadow (introduced in Creature Collection [1] and expanded upon in The Divine and Defeated) as the high-up for the Plane of Shadow. Aside from her and the Githyanki Lich Queen, that's about all I can recall.

Shemeska

Adventurer
As Hardhead mentioned there's The Guardian of the Dead Gods, (aka the artist formerly known as Anubis ;) ) in the Astral. At some point in the past, Anubis beheld the drifted corpses of the dead deities upon the Astral plane and became obsessed with them and his own deific mortality. Somehow he voluntarily shed himself of his prior divinity and became... something different... as such he guards the godisles in the Astral from physical desecration and apparently commands the movements of the Astral Dreadnoughts.

On the Astral there's also of course Vlaakith the Lich Queen (unless you've killed her off ala Incursion).

Ethereal: no distinct deific being, though oddly enough the mazes of The Lady of Pain exist within the Deep Ethereal, despite Sigil not overlapping the ethereal at all (being presumably in the Outlands). Make your judgements on that link there, I'm not speculating much on it. The depths of the trackless sea hold more mysteries than perhaps all of the other planes combined.

There's also the 'things' from the so called Ether Gaps in the depths of the Ethereal, which may be holes in reality leading to alternate multiverses, or hitherto undiscovered planes (*cough*those critters and their origin became the Far Realm in 3e*cough*) If there's some intelligence behind them, that might qualify.

Shadow Plane: There's not much there, though there's always the shadow plane based 'thing' from Ravenloft that was locked between the Shadow Rift in RL and the plane of shadow. I forget its name, but it might have been Gwydion or something like that. I don't know much about RL, so don't quote me here.

the Jester

Legend
Shemeska said:
There's also the 'things' from the so called Ether Gaps in the depths of the Ethereal, which may be holes in reality leading to alternate multiverses, or hitherto undiscovered planes (*cough*those critters and their origin became the Far Realm in 3e*cough*) If there's some intelligence behind them, that might qualify.

Just for the record, Far Realms references are actually fairly extensive in late-period 2e- the Far Realms are mentioned in the Illithiad, the Gates of Firestorm Peak, and one or two other places.

Well, okay, not extensive, but certainly present. :heh:

Shemeska

Adventurer
the Jester said:
Just for the record, Far Realms references are actually fairly extensive in late-period 2e- the Far Realms are mentioned in the Illithiad, the Gates of Firestorm Peak, and one or two other places.

Well, okay, not extensive, but certainly present. :heh:

I should have mentioned them as well, thanks for doing so for me. ;)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Bendris Noulg said:
One possibility is the Scarred Lands' Demigoddess of Shadow (introduced in Creature Collection [1] and expanded upon in The Divine and Defeated) as the high-up for the Plane of Shadow. Aside from her and the Githyanki Lich Queen, that's about all I can recall.
Drendari...and you do need to check out the S&SS boards Ben. There's something very disturbing you have to read concerning Drendari and the Slacerians...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases