Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Androids, Robots, Assorted Flora and Fauna

VorpalBunny

Explorer
I've lost my mind and started a coversion of EttBP, and think I've worked out the androids and robots. I'm trying to keep everything as strictly D&D - I don't intend on using skills and feats or equipment from the d20 Modern SRD unless absolutely necessary.

So, any feedback?

ANDROID

Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 7d10+20 (58 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
AC: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+8
Attack: Slam +8 melee (1d6+3)
Full Attack: 2 slams +8 melee (1d6+3), or by weapon.
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: Construct traits, low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft., cold immunity, immunity to magic, acid and fire resistance 10
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 18, Con –, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Craft (any) +6, Diplomacy +4, Listen +9, Profession (any) +8, Spot +9
Feats: Alertness, Skill Focus (Craft), Skill Focus (Profession)
Environment: Barrier peaks
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

This is the basic "run of the mill" android. Different models may have different ability scores, skills, and feats, depending on the andoid's purpose.
Immunity to Magic (Ex): An android is only affected by spells and spell-like abilities that can affect objects. Additionally the heat metal spell will deal damage as normal to an android.

POLICE ROBOT

Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 10d10+20 (75 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), 60 ft. emergency speed
AC: 22 (+4 Dex, +8 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+13
Attack: Slam +13 melee (1d6+6), or tentacle +13 melee touch (grapple) or laser pistol +11 ranged (3d6), or grenade launcher +11 ranged, or paralysis pistol +11 ranged
Full Attack: 2 slams +13 melee (1d6+6), or 2 tentacles +13 melee touch (grapple), or laser pistol +11/+6 ranged (3d6), or grenade launcher +11 ranged, or paralysis pistol +11/+6 ranged
Special Attacks: Tractor/repulsor beam (DC 15), improved grab
Special Qualities: Construct traits, low-light vision, darkvision 120 ft., force screen, cold immunity, acid and fire resistance 10.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 18, Con –, Int –, Wis 16, Cha 10
Skills: -
Feats: -
Organization: Solitary, pair, or patrol (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 9
Alignment: Always lawful neutral

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A police robot is only affected by spells and spell-like abilities that can affect objects. Additionally the heat metal spell will deal damage as normal to a police robot.

Laser Pistol: 3d6 (M)/x2; 40 ft. range increment; wt. 2 lbs, requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency (futuristic) to use properly. ROF equals attacker’s number of attacks. Changing power cell is a move action. (from DMG)
Grenade Launcher: Dmg by grenade, 70 ft. range increment, 7 lbs. requires Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms) to use properly. (from DMG)
Explosive grenade: 3d6 slashing over 10 ft.
Incendiary grenade: 2d6 fire over 10 ft. DC 15 Reflex save or catch fire.
Smoke grenade: as d20 Modern RPG
Paralysis Pistol: DC 15 Fort save.
Tractor beam: as telekinesis and repulsion spells.

WORKER ROBOT

Large Construct

Hit Dice: 7d10+30 (68 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 15 (-1 size, +6 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+17
Attack: Slam +12 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 slams +12 melee (1d8+8)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Tractor/Repulsor beam (DC 13)
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 90 ft., cold and vacuum immunity, magic immunity, acid and fire resistance 10.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 11, Con –, Int –, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: -
Feats: -
Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3-6)
Challenge Rating: 5
Advancement: 8 HD (Large), 9-12 HD (Huge)

Huge size worker robots have 2 extra cargo moving tentacles that they may use to make grapple attacks with.

Immunity to Magic (Ex): A worker robot is only affected by spells and spell-like abilities that can affect objects. Additionally the heat metal spell will deal damage as normal to a worker robot.

Last edited:

VorpalBunny

Explorer
First go at the vegepygmies' dog-creatures. Feedback is always appreciated.

“THORNIES” (VEGEPYGMY DOG-CREATURES)

Medium Plant
Hit Dice:
4d8+8 (26 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft.
AC: 17 (+2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+4
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d6+1)
Special Attacks: Thorns, trip
Special Qualities: Plant, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +3*, Listen +5, Move Silently +4, Spot +5
Feats: Alertness, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Warm forest and underground
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (3-12)
Challenge Rating: 2

Thorns (Ex): With a successful trip attack, an attacking thorny inflicts an additional 1d4 points of damage.
Skills: Thornies receive a +12 bonus to Hide checks when in swampy or forested areas.

Last edited:

VorpalBunny

Explorer
The webbird. As always, feedback is appreciated.

WEBBIRD

Tiny Magical Beast

Hit Dice: 1d10 (5 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
AC: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-12
Attack: Stinger +5 melee (special)
Full Attack: Stinger +5 melee (special), Bite +0 melee (1d2-5)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Web, implant
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +5
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate and warm forests
Organization: Flock (3-36)
Challenge Rating: 1

Web (Ex): Webbirds can throw a web eight times per day in a similar fashion to a net attack. The webs have a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to Medium size.
An entangled creature can escape the webs with a DC 10 Escape Artist check or a DC 14 Strength check.

Implant (Ex): As a standard action, a webbird can use its chest stinger to lay eggs inside a creature entangled in its web. If successful, the young larvae emerge 1d4+2 x 10 minutes later, devouring the host from inside, and causing 1d6 points of Constitution damage per round. A remove disease spell rids a victim of the eggs, as does a successful DC 20 Heal check by someone with ranks that skill. If the check fails, the healer can try again, but each attempt (successful or not) deals 1d4 points of damage to the patient.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
FYI, a number of S3 monsters are in the Tome of Horrors.

Looking good so far, but I have a major question for ya- how'dja work the force screen on the police robot? ;)

Question on old version

the Jester said:
FYI, a number of S3 monsters are in the Tome of Horrors.

Looking good so far, but I have a major question for ya- how'dja work the force screen on the police robot? ;)

I have a question as well.

1.What was the name of the old plant creatures you cut down in the begining? and didn't they drop some colored access card? Are you going to include it?

2. Didn't you have to do something special to kill the Police bots in the old module? and are you going to include that in your monster entry.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
the Jester said:

Thanks! I haven't quite got that figured out yet. ;) As far as I can see, there are two possibilities: 1) Shielding has hit points which regenerate every round as long as the robot is functional. This is the approach used in the adventure (police robots have 20 hit point shields that regenerate 1 hp/round). or 2) Shields don't have hit points, but provide damage reduction. The DR would have to protect against both energy and physical attacks and be in effect as long as the robot is functional. If I went this way, shields would provide DR 5 or 6 to the robot. I'm planning on playtesting both possibilities to see which I like better. However, since shields as hp is how its done in the aventure, I'm leaning that way.

Oh and thanks - I know about the Tome of Horrors. I've already grabbed a bunch o' monsters out of there.

Raist The Watchful said:
1.What was the name of the old plant creatures you cut down in the begining? and didn't they drop some colored access card? Are you going to include it?

2. Didn't you have to do something special to kill the Police bots in the old module? and are you going to include that in your monster entry.

1. If you're refering to the vegepygmies, they're included in the Tome of Horrors. And yeah, I included them. I'm just posting my own monster conversions for feedback. :)

2. You didn't have to do anything special to kill a police robot. However lightning and electrical attacks had a 1% chance per hit point of damage sustained to cause a malfunction and shut down the robot. Additionally, at 10 or fewer hit points there was a 50% chance per round that the robot would cease functioning.

JediOre

First Post
Gosh, I'm in awe that you are even trying to tackle such a project. I'm interested like the rest to see you pull this off. As far as suggestions? Don't burn yourself out on this.
None-the-less I'd love to share this gem of an adventure with all the "newbies" I game with who only know of AD&D from my "back in my day" side tracks.

Keep us posted & good luck!

Enkhidu

Explorer
VorpalBunny said:
Thanks! I haven't quite got that figured out yet. ;) As far as I can see, there are two possibilities: 1) Shielding has hit points which regenerate every round as long as the robot is functional. This is the approach used in the adventure (police robots have 20 hit point shields that regenerate 1 hp/round). or 2) Shields don't have hit points, but provide damage reduction. The DR would have to protect against both energy and physical attacks and be in effect as long as the robot is functional. If I went this way, shields would provide DR 5 or 6 to the robot. I'm planning on playtesting both possibilities to see which I like better. However, since shields as hp is how its done in the aventure, I'm leaning that way.

Have you thought about making them ablative DR, like Stoneskin? Make it DR 10/- ablative up to 20 (I'd up this to 40 for the conversion, as the amount of damage PCs of appropriate level can dish out is obscene) that regenerates 3 per round?

By the way, when you finish this up I'd be very interested in getting my grubby little paws on a copy of it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases