Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Androids, Robots, Assorted Flora and Fauna

VorpalBunny

Explorer
JediOre said:
Gosh, I'm in awe that you are even trying to tackle such a project. I'm interested like the rest to see you pull this off. As far as suggestions? Don't burn yourself out on this.
None-the-less I'd love to share this gem of an adventure with all the "newbies" I game with who only know of AD&D from my "back in my day" side tracks.

Keep us posted & good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm convinved that I need psychiatric help :confused: . But with my gaming group on temporary hiatus I have more time on my hands - and idle hands *are* the devil's playground... ;) When it's (finally) done I plan on submitting it to the conversion library so anyone who wants it will have free access to it.

I'm up to level 3, but taking things fairly slowly, so I don't burn myself out (and also to see if I can steal stuff from the d20 Future SRD when it's released. :))

Enkhidu said:
Have you thought about making them ablative DR, like Stoneskin? Make it DR 10/- ablative up to 20 (I'd up this to 40 for the conversion, as the amount of damage PCs of appropriate level can dish out is obscene) that regenerates 3 per round?

Good idea. The only reservation I have about DR is that according to the rules, DR is bypassed by energy attacks and there is *a lot* of energy weapons to be had in this adventure. ;)

Enkhidu

Explorer
VorpalBunny said:
The only reservation I have about DR is that according to the rules, DR is bypassed by energy attacks and there is *a lot* of energy weapons to be had in this adventure. ;)

I had forgotten about that - but its a fairly simple fix. The shield provides both DR and ER - both ablative (which means that a shocking burst great axe hit might take out the shield in one hit, but that's what shocking burst greataxes are supposed to do!).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'd probably handle the shielding as temporary hit points that slowly get regained round by round. Sure, you can describe it as a force shield... but it really just uses the hit point mechanic.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I'd probably handle the shielding as temporary hit points that slowly get regained round by round. Sure, you can describe it as a force shield... but it really just uses the hit point mechanic.

It wasn't until you posted this that I realized that my DR/ER idea above just re-invented the wheel. D'oh!

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Piratecat said:

Right-o. Basically it's a 20 hit point kicker for police robots. With 3e damage potentials it shouldn't make that much of a difference though (depending, of course on how fast the shield regenerates... :]).

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm a big believer in simplicity. The less stuff I have to keep track of, the happier I am -- and this is a good example of where a simple mechanic models a complex idea. Just never tell the PCs how it works.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
One of the "killer plants" from level four.

[Edit: I fiddled around some more and came up with this. I increased the size of the plant (according to the wtite up in the adventure, they're 8 ft. to 13 ft. tall), gave it a Dexterity attribute, and upped the Con score a little bit.]

PURPLE BLOSSOM

Large Plant
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 0 ft.
AC: 12 (-1 size, +3 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+3
Attack: Sap +4 ranged (special)
Full Attack: Sap +4 ranged (special)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Sap
Special Qualities: Plant, tremorsense 10 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +3
Abilities: Str –, Dex 10, Con 13, Int –, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: -
Feats: -
Environment: Temperate and warm forests
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-10 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Sap (Ex): The vibrations of any creature passing beneath the purple flowers of this plant will cause them to tilt and drip sap from the flower. If a creature is struck by the sap it must roll a DC 14 Fortitude save or take 3d6 Con primary and secondary damage. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Does 3d6 con seem high to anyone else? In addition, players might want to harvest the sap for their own use as a weapon. "Here, Mr. Dragon. Have a nice salad appetizer!" :)

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Piratecat said:
Does 3d6 con seem high to anyone else? In addition, players might want to harvest the sap for their own use as a weapon. "Here, Mr. Dragon. Have a nice salad appetizer!" :)

As I was converting it the voice in the back of my head said the damage values might be excessive; but with a +4 attack bonus and DC 14 Fort save it doesn't seem too difficult (especially for mid-level characters). Remember - the original's sap caused instantaneous death on a failed save (with a 25% "to hit" chance I might add) - I wanted to keep the flavor of the original without nerfing the plant too much - but I think 1d10 Con/1d10 Con might work well too. Enough damage to kill an average creature (an average of 11 points Con damage with two failed saves), but still enough to make a hardened adventurer think twice. Watcha think?

It didn't occur to me that PCs might want to harvest the sap :eek: . Any ideas as to a gp value? Black lotus extract goes for 4,500 gp in the DMG. It inflicts the same damage (3d6 Con/3d6 Con) but has a higher save (DC 20). I'm thinking that kight be a good place to start...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I like the 1d10/1d10; high enough to be freakin' scary, but not necessarily an instant death sentence. As for the price, I'd peg it at 3800 if you're using 3d6/3d6 - DC 14, and 2500 if you're using 1d10/1d10 - DC 14.

Remove ads